Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Waterstones buys Foyles to defend bookshops against Amazon

editor

hiraethified
Shame to see another independent being swallowed up, but I guess that's the way of the world these days:

Waterstones is buying the 115 year-old family-owned chain Foyles, saying the deal will help to "champion" real bookshops in the face of online rivals.

The sale includes Foyles' well-known Charing Cross Road store in central London, which was relocated to larger premises in 2014.

Waterstones said the deal would help booksellers fight back against Amazon's "siren call".

The larger chain has 283 bookshops across the UK and northern Europe.

Foyles was founded at the turn of the last century by the Foyle family and for more than half a century was run by the famously eccentric Christina Foyle. Her approach included sorting the books by publisher rather than alphabetically, and regularly dismissing staff within a year.
Waterstones buys Foyles 'to defend bookshops'

Waterstones are OK since they were bought back by the guy who started it. He likes book mongering and I think foyles should be safe enough.

Waterstones are OK since they were bought back by the guy who started it. He likes book mongering and I think foyles should be safe enough.
foyles as was in the auld building was imo a better bookshop - the history department, for example, was bigger and in certain areas better stocked. for example, the shelf space afforded irish history was about the same amount of space most bookshops give history in total. that space has diminished since the move to the former st martins building. and, although the gower street waterstones has a similar amount of space for irish history to foyles, i would expect both the space and range of stock in areas like that, which are the mark of a top bookshop but don't sell so fast, to further diminish. the big waterstones on piccadilly's declined over the years, as (imho) has hatchards, and where they have led...

i'd be very interested to hear what zora has to say.

That is bad news. How many book shops have Waterstones put out of business? Seems to me their just trying to increase market share.
they'll pile the tables high with shite.

not so long ago there was a blackwell's over the way from foyles, that's been gone a few years now. i wouldn't be surprised if they expand the cafe space - as they've done on gower street - to the detriment of the range of stock.

foyles as was in the auld building was imo a better bookshop - the history department, for example, was bigger and in certain areas better stocked. for example, the shelf space afforded irish history was about the same amount of space most bookshops give history in total. that space has diminished since the move to the former st martins building. and, although the gower street waterstones has a similar amount of space for irish history to foyles, i would expect both the space and range of stock in areas like that, which are the mark of a top bookshop but don't sell so fast, to further diminish. the big waterstones on piccadilly's declined over the years, as (imho) has hatchards, and where they have led...

i'd be very interested to hear what zora has to say.

History is pretty dire in Waterstones. The big one near me has a history section about the same size as the section devoted to Jamie Oliver 'books'. Nothing at all on the history of Africa, which last I checked was an entire continent and the birthplace of mankind.

History is pretty dire in Waterstones. The big one near me has a history section about the same size as the section devoted to Jamie Oliver 'books'. Nothing at all on the history of Africa, which last I checked was an entire continent and the birthplace of mankind.
not to mention the subject of slavery and colonialism: and it's not like no one's ever written about african history :facepalm:

it's utterly dire.

I went in Waterstones a few weeks ago, it was dead quiet and everything seemed too expensive (maps and guides). They are going to suffer like the bookshops they put out of business years back. I took a few phone snaps of the titles that most interested me and went home to my 'puter.

I went in Waterstones a few weeks ago, it was dead quiet and everything seemed too expensive (maps and guides). They are going to suffer like the bookshops they put out of business years back. I took a few phone snaps of the titles that most interested me and went home to my 'puter.
I believe they've already weathered that storm and have been back in profit since 2015.

Towards the end of my short time with Waterstones a decision was made "high up" to reduce the autonomy of ordering. Previously sections were overseen by genuine enthusiasts for their area who would order in all kinds of stuff.

This was a long time ago

Towards the end of my short time with Waterstones a decision was made "high up" to reduce the autonomy of ordering. Previously sections were overseen by genuine enthusiasts for their area who would order in all kinds of stuff.

This was a long time ago
my understanding is that their recent return to profit after years heading towards bankrupcy was - partly - a result of a return to allowing branches autonomy of ordering. funny that.

my understanding is that their recent return to profit after years heading towards bankrupcy was - partly - a result of a return to allowing branches autonomy of ordering. funny that.

The enthusiasm and knowledge of the booksellers was great back in the day. They could help find new stuff you'd never heard of and order it from the States or wherever.

Even the big Picadilly one has a depressingly small selection of history books.

oh shit

foyles is a - was - a far superior bookshop to waterstones. the big waterstones on piccadilly's not all that, imo
Yep, but that 'new' Foyles has, IMO, been a profound disappointment. The Social Sciences sections have never recovered and the loss of the window bench in Ray's cafe was a huge loss; that dreadful hot, noisy canteen upstairs is dreadful. Plus they all but removed any seats; bastards. Don't they know that sitting down comfortably to peruse books is the best way to sell them?

Back
Top Bottom