Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

How to avoid buying stuff online from Amazon - a list of alternative retailers

I guess more people than ever will be using Amazon right now

Yup - and Bezos has made over $100 billion in the process.

Ive read people refer to this as a transfer of wealth as retailers have had to remain closed, many never to re-open, whilst likes of Amazon have globally made obscene levels of profit due to Covid.

I’ve never bought a single item off Amazon and I used to habitually shoplift the shittery out of Tesco.

Do I win this thread? Gotta be worth a few likes at least...

Yup - and Bezos has made over $100 billion in the process.

Ive read people refer to this as a transfer of wealth as retailers have had to remain closed, many never to re-open, whilst likes of Amazon have globally made obscene levels of profit due to Covid.
While on the other hand paying very little in taxes, not to mention how they treat staff, either direct employees on indirect ones.

Foyle's was always virulently anti union. Has this stance changed?

Mind you, it was a piece of piss to shoplift from, not that I ever did such a thing and the very expensive and unaffordable book on italian anarchism was a gift :thumbs:

Boycotting them feels like trying to tell the tide not to come in.
Perhaps, but it's really, really easy.

I honestly doubt understand how so many people seem to find it so difficult. I guess it is convenient, and probably cheaper in a lot of cases, but it's really so easy to use other sources for anything you might buy online.

Last edited:
I have tried alternatives to Amazon, even finding it on the website then ordering directly.
Amazon have a very standard and working returns situation when something went wrong.
4 places tried to charge me far more ordering directly and I gave up, 1 lead to fraud, 1 was cheaper, 2 needed returns which were made as difficult as possible, 2 returned fine. I still check on price but it seems way too much hassle to risk it unless I know the company already or it is not on amazon.

I have tried alternatives to Amazon, even finding it on the website then ordering directly.
Amazon have a very standard and working returns situation when something went wrong.
4 places tried to charge me far more ordering directly and I gave up, 1 lead to fraud, 1 was cheaper, 2 needed returns which were made as difficult as possible, 2 returned fine. I still check on price but it seems way too much hassle to risk it unless I know the company already or it is not on amazon.

Wifey keeps buying things from Damart, most items end up being sent back as they don't fit. Thinking of introducing her to the concept of actually going into a shop and trying things on, before buying. Can't believe she worked in an M&S clothing department for years before retiring.

Back
Top Bottom