Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Walking up Cadair Idris (and back down again).

Sweet FA

✪ Three rounds Lord, in my .44 ✪
Supposed to be doing this next week with some old friends, (I've known them for a very very long time and also we're old).

We're taking the Pony Path apparently. I'm not very fit but not a complete potato - should I be overly worried about being left to die halfway up? Also, is it actually a 'path'? I'm thinking about taking the skinny dog; I reckon he could make the walk but he's not exactly a mountain dog; not great on rough terrain. Is there any actual climbing involved as opposed to just walking in an upwards direction?

Any advice welcome - friedaweed, kabbes, BoatieBird, editor, kalidarkone, ddraig? xx

Supposed to be doing this next week with some old friends, (I've known them for a very very long time and also we're old).

We're taking the Pony Path apparently. I'm not very fit but not a complete potato - should I be overly worried about being left to die halfway up? Also, is it actually a 'path'? I'm thinking about taking the skinny dog; I reckon he could make the walk but he's not exactly a mountain dog; not great on rough terrain. Is there any actual climbing involved as opposed to just walking in an upwards direction?

Any advice welcome - friedaweed, kabbes, BoatieBird, editor, kalidarkone, ddraig? xx
It’s a fucker of a trek! Way harder than walking up Snowdon. It’s a walk not a climb but some of the paths are properly narrow and slippery. Even if the pup is fine, you might be so worried about him that you go over the edge yourself because you’re not paying enough attention…

I don’t mean to put you off, though. Cadair is probably my favourite place in all the world and even if you don’t go to the top, the beauty is all in the lower slopes anyway. Take photos and post them here!

Last edited:
It's a long trek, it isn't really hard though, unless the mist comes down, which it often does. Mist can make it dangerous though, so if it is, be bloody careful. The Minford route is longer and harder. It's lovely, well worth it even if you don't get any views at the top.

A oic from my last trip up there

13566973_1309128802434673_7402031094615785592_n.jpg

I've been up and down there a few times, once I stayed all night at the top in dense fog, in the morning came down the stairs into sudden warm clear air above llyn gau (sp) Got down to the car park bridge, passed the big tree, stripped off and fell naked into the river. Beautiful :D

My only actual tip would be, do it on a clear day if you can, the views are amazing from the top.

Once I went up with a witchy friend (a different midsummer all-nighter) and while she did her things at the altar stone, I dropped all my kit and ran the rest of the way to the summit for sunset. It's the only time I've been on a proper mountain top with only the shirt on my back. So another tip is, make a camp somewhere near the top, stay the night, then wander about the summit in t-shirts and flipflops all day, the envy of many hikers laden with packs, boots and walking sticks.

Obviously the danger is you'll wake up to pouring rain in the morning .. but croeso yngymru isn't it.

Excellent. I think we'll be starting around 2.

I'm going to be a local news story about stupid tourists.
You'll be fine. It stays light enough until 9:30 now. Take snacks and something warm for the top.

I went up in November, walked from the youth hostel which adds probably a good hour onto it. Unfortunately I was with a bunch of unfit faffers who weren't ready until 11am. At the top I gave one of them my head torches and headed back on my own.

Actually if you have the time and the forecast looks good, camp out at llyn gau (cau? mutation? w/ever). Swimming in it is spooky as fuck because it's so deep (isn't there a dragon at the bottom too?) and it's just a spectacular place to wake up.

I'll stop now .. it's just that cader idris is one of my favourite places on earth :thumbs:

Never been up that one.

That area, like Snowdon and some of The Lakes, is far too touristy for my liking.
Nor am I fit enough to do that sort of walk. I used to be, but even then, it wasn't really my thing, tbh.

I'll always try to drop something into the Mountain Rescue collection boxes.

One of my favourite hills too. It is a good day's walk but I've taken people up there in worse condition than you sugar hips.

The pony track is fine. No climbing skills required. The foxes path has a bit of scrambling involved but I think your mut would make much lighter work of it than the humans would.

Great campsite at at the farm near King's YHA. You can have a fire and camp next to the river. Be sure to visit the Blue Pool and Creggan Lakes (one of my fishing haunts).

I have nothing of substance to add, having never been there, but should just like to express my appreciation for the addition of 'and back down again' in the thread title. Just in case anyone might have given advice about how to reach the summit and stay there.

Hope you enjoy yourself, and get lovely pics to share.

Nope. It all looks fairly terrifying tbh.

I shall scope it out and may complain of being tired from the climb and hang out in the van with a bag of weed and a few beers.
It's a cracking place. I've been a couple of times with some mates who are a bit hardcore mtb. I've stuck to the reds and avoided the big black. I think it's the red bull one that's the arse twitcher. A lot of climbing initially but the trails are great.
Another area I fish a bit.

Llyn Brenigs isn't too far away. Ospreys and big rainbow trout.

Enjoy. If you're up the again let me know.

I'll bring the bag.

Enjoy. If you're up the again let me know.

I'll bring the bag.
Thanks mate, will do xx

I've been to Swinley a couple of times but that's mainly blues/reds - not too tricky but fairly technical in places. A few bum-twitching moments but nothing too horrendous.

I note with interest that they hire out electric MTBs at CyB 😏

Thanks mate, will do xx

I've been to Swinley a couple of times but that's mainly blues/reds - not too tricky but fairly technical in places. A few bum-twitching moments but nothing too horrendous.

I note with interest that they hire out electric MTBs at CyB 😏
I'm waiting for them to put a chair lift in like Fort william has the gondola. I mean who likes cycling up hill?? I pushed my bike up the last quarter but then we stayed in a log cabin and drank three bottles if malt the night before we hit the runs.

The big red is awesome. Got a nice set of very fast wide burns on the lower 3rd section climaxing in an unexpected jump. Almost close your eyes and hang on stuff. one of my mates always recalls "Did you see how much air the big lad got" and another replies "Aye I thoight we were in air ambulance territory" They're all skinnier than me but have half the balls.

Proper nice set up at the cafe and bike wash. Llandegla isn't too far away from there as well which is also a good day on the mtb if you have the time. Brenin is the best choice of the two though.

Back
Top Bottom