Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

A Woman's Place is Speaking Up in Wales

You're saying racists shouldn't be "allowed" to associate with each other, as opposed to saying people should be able to refuse to host their meetings or disseminate their propaganda (ie. the "no platform" position)?
no, i said for some
what do you think happens next when racists are "allowed" to have meetings and organise freely?

I shared the flier BECAUSE I support the event. Not at all disingenous.

How about you answer my question, where's the hate in the flier?[/QUOTE]

Last edited:
no, but including those people might be a start
and an extension of that logic, for some, would be allowing racists to hold meetings as long as they were just to "discuss" issues and potential issues

no, but including those people might be a start
and an extension of that logic, for some, would be allowing racists to hold meetings as long as they were just to "discuss" issues and potential issues

But racists, by their very definition, are a hate group. Where's the hate in A Woman's Place, you haven't given me an answer to that question.

Attempts have been made to discuss this openly, back last September, but women got their venues closed down, as has happened today. It's as if actual facts about things that have happened, such as Helen Steel and the other woman at the Anarchist Book-fair, and the woman being punched in Hyde Park, when women have tried to debate or inform about our concerns, are not being heard. These thinks have happened. It's why women are keeping venues secret, we're fucking scared of being punched or screamed at.

no, i said for some
what do you think happens next when racists are "allowed" to have meetings and organise freely?

Does that "some" include you?
What do you think happens next when free association between individuals is controlled by a central authority based on whether they are considered desirable?

Does that "some" include you?
What do you think happens next when free association between individuals is controlled by a central authority based on whether they are considered desirable?
central authority?? wtf?

shygirl please sort out the mess of post 571, you're misquoting me

central authority?? wtf?

You have a point; I was making an assumption there. I suppose we could police meetings of individuals with a loose network of vigilante groups.
Send the inquisitor round first to assess their arguments, if approved then fine. If not, then a mild punishment beating as a warning with more serious action to be taken if further association is confirmed. Could use a blockchain network to keep track of suspects without any need to centralise the organisation.

Don’t worry about the quoting business shygirl , just do your best.

More importantly I think, the question she asked you ddraig is where is the hate in the adverts for the event?

Because if there’s no hate, then what’s just happened is that trans activists have closed down this meeting using a tactic of accusing a group of hate for disagreeing with them.

And that’s very thin ice indeed.

Don’t worry about the quoting business shygirl , just do your best.

More importantly I think, the question she asked you ddraig is where is the hate in the adverts for the event?

Because if there’s no hate, then what’s just happened is that trans activists have closed down this meeting using a tactic of accusing a group of hate for disagreeing with them.

And that’s very thin ice indeed.
and i said of course there wouldn't be hate in the flyer
doesn't mean that there's not hate or bigotry in the meeting
people i know are distressed at this meeting and people involved, it clearly very much upsets the trans community who are not included, it's not public and it's not a debate
as far as i understand it's not just about disagreeing it's about the non inclusion and presumption of why some would transition to get access to women and girls etc etc etc
I don't claim to fully understand it and won't be going tonight

I'm looking forward to hearing the speakers tonight, but am dreading any pre-meeting confrontations with protesters. Feeling anxious and a little bit sick, tbh :(, but can't back out at this late stage.

You have a point; I was making an assumption there. I suppose we could police meetings of individuals with a loose network of vigilante groups.
Send the inquisitor round first to assess their arguments, if approved then fine. If not, then a mild punishment beating as a warning with more serious action to be taken if further association is confirmed. Could use a blockchain network to keep track of suspects without any need to centralise the organisation.
don't be a dick, or try maybe

and i said of course there wouldn't be hate in the flyer
doesn't mean that there's not hate or bigotry in the meeting
people i know are distressed at this meeting and people involved, it clearly very much upsets the trans community who are not included, it's not public and it's not a debate
as far as i understand it's not just about disagreeing it's about the non inclusion and presumption of why some would transition to get access to women and girls etc etc etc
I don't claim to fully understand it and won't be going tonight
So they’ve been closed down because some people think there might be hate speech, and find that thought distressing.

That’s not good enough for that level of censorship. Why can’t these women’s views be heard?

Trans people were invited to attend, but not to speak (a mistake imo).

I'm meeting a bunch of people before-hand, thanks weepiper, so there's some safety in numbers, but the very idea of us being confronted is itself upsetting me. This from someone who fought the NF on Waterloo Bridge and helped 'steward' some Irish marches with Red Action...dew, dew, don't know what's happened to me! ;)

It was okay when you knew you were fighting fash, but this is so different, this is people who, for the best part, are on the left and pretty sound on other issues. You just don't expect to be shouted down by your own side, if that makes sense. That's what is so distressing, that and being called a bigot or nazi when you've spent most of your life fighting injustice and bigotry.

Catching up, I see you've deleted some posts. I hope you haven't gone, because I wanted to say this:

I don't post much, but I do read. There's a handful of posters here who keep me coming back. People with opinions I've come to really respect, with insightful observations and incisive political comments. Yourself, butchers, danny. I could count a few more off on my fingers but not many.

This place would be much the worse without your contributions.

Back
Top Bottom