Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

A Woman's Place is Speaking Up in Wales

I dont want to participate in this thread very often or repeat the various arguments I had in that other thread that got locked, so please forgive me for focusing very narrowly on just one small part of that speech.

I am desperately hoping that people I know that are opposed to my own stance on all manner of other aspects, will still see the horror in this paragraph, ie even if you agree with some of where they are coming from and what they might be trying to articulate, can you really ignore the broader implications stemming from the way they've tried to define this struggle with those words? The attempts to further marginalise and make insignificant the minority group, the conflation of one sort of majority with supposed majority opinion, the assumption that such agendas can only be achieved by silencing this supposed majority entirely. That sort of thing.

Honestly, just imagine all the other situations that people could apply the arguments and framing from that paragraph to historically, its not a good place to be at all. If you have a strong case then there should be no need to resort to this kind of stuff.

You've quoted it with no reference to where it came from.

Just saw this event to discuss the gender recognition act was no platformed by some masked protesters. Pretty shit behaviour and as an aside of course they all sound really posh.

I’ve no idea what’s going on there, or who is who. But I’ve taken a look at “Posie Parker’s” tweeting and decided that she seems like an unpleasant bitch :)

Just saw this event to discuss the gender recognition act was no platformed by some masked protesters. Pretty shit behaviour and as an aside of course they all sound really posh.

What the actual fuck is going on here? I just cannot work it out.

I’ve googled Julie Bindel. Guardian journalist and women’s campaigner for women who kill their violent partners.

So she was trying to go to a woman’s meeting, and was blocked by what look like a group of predominantly young men trans activists covering their faces.

Was the meeting to discuss transgender issues?

The meeting was to discuss the effect of self identification on women and transsexuals. So transgender issues, but also the wider effect on females and GRC holders.

The recording of the meeting is available here:

First speaker was rather academic, and shaken from the kurfuffle I reckon. Third speaker rings true to me. Make yer own minds up. It's about 3 hours. Talk starts 20 minutes in.

Back
Top Bottom