Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Walking up Cadair Idris (and back down again).

Looks gorgeous up there, such a clear day!

Did you take the hound in the end?
Was gorgeous though hot - welcomed the cool breezes at the top.

Didn't take the hound which was a good shout as he'd never have made it. Too tricky underfoot and some parts where we'd have had to take big detours round rocky staircases. Meet a couple of dogs who were loving it though - a staffy and a springer. My long legged, slightly effete doofus definitely isn't designed for mountains.

It’s a fucker of a trek! Way harder than walking up Snowdon. It’s a walk not a climb but some of the paths are properly narrow and slippery. Even if the pup is fine, you might be so worried about him that you go over the edge yourself because you’re not paying enough attention…

I don’t mean to put you off, though. Cadair is probably my favourite place in all the world and even if you don’t go to the top, the beauty is all in the lower slopes anyway. Take photos and post them here!
kabbes is absolutely right. But. Honestly you'll be fine. Thousands of people do this without dying.

Pics or it never happened.
One of my favourite hills too. It is a good day's walk but I've taken people up there in worse condition than you sugar hips.

The pony track is fine. No climbing skills required. The foxes path has a bit of scrambling involved but I think your mut would make much lighter work of it than the humans would.

Great campsite at at the farm near King's YHA. You can have a fire and camp next to the river. Be sure to visit the Blue Pool and Creggan Lakes (one of my fishing haunts).

Thanks urbs for the advice 😙

Due to faffing - catching up, eating, couple of pints etc etc, we didn't start til 15.20 but it took 1h55m and we were back down by 19.20. I was pretty sure I was going to have a heart attack after the first 40 mins but it was hot af and I'd half talked myself out of it at that point. Then gave myself a slap, had a banana and got on with it.

(This is the 2nd time I've been to this part of the world and both times it's been 25-28 degrees and blue skies 😎)

52946514427_b5e9025cb5_k.jpg

52947256134_50e57ea9f5_k.jpg

52947575548_86238ca270_k.jpg

52946514362_a3049d28cf_k.jpg

Beautiful! Those lakes look so inviting! I miss the Welsh mountains, last time I was up Snowden was over 15 yrs ago. Did Crib Goch one time, that was a bit perilous, I don't think I'd do it now! We used to climb up lots when I was a kid, I miss it. So remote & wild. I can smell the heather & hear the sheep :)

Thanks urbs for the advice 😙

Due to faffing - catching up, eating, couple of pints etc etc, we didn't start til 15.20 but it took 1h55m and we were back down by 19.20. I was pretty sure I was going to have a heart attack after the first 40 mins but it was hot af and I'd half talked myself out of it at that point. Then gave myself a slap, had a banana and got on with it.

(This is the 2nd time I've been to this part of the world and both times it's been 25-28 degrees and blue skies 😎)

52946514427_b5e9025cb5_k.jpg

52947256134_50e57ea9f5_k.jpg

52947575548_86238ca270_k.jpg

52946514362_a3049d28cf_k.jpg

Ah I've climbed the scree up from that little lake .. hair raising! Great pics, lovely views...

Good boozer that. Me and the Mrs had a nice paddle on the river from there in the Canadian to Barmouth and then came back on the tide.
Hmmm. It's in a fantastic location obvs but tbh, the lager's shite; some kind of craft piss. In an almost unheard of turn of events, we eschewed the pub to scarper back to the campsite and drink blessed Heineken still cool from the icebox.

Coed y Brenin was fucking amazing btw. No way would I have done it without the ebike; the climbs would have murdered me. Absolutely loved the bike though - a complete revelation. We did most of the Dragon's Back | Beics Brenin which is basically The Beast without the top 4kms. I came off about 5 mins after starting but they definitely design it so the first 200-300m is technical af and really hard. I declared my hand in no uncertain terms and told the baldies that this was a fucking stupid idea and I hadn't spent a shitload hiring a bike just to push the fucking thing around all fucking day, fuck this you fuckers you never said it was like this and look I'm fucking bleeding and it really hurts fuck off.

Then I had a banana and got on with it.

The Addams Family runs were the most fun I've had haring downhill except for skiing. The opportunities to absolutely fuck yourself up are legion though - at least with skiing, you're generally crashing on open piste; at CyB you are definitely going to hit trees (or rocks as in my case).

ebike means you do all the climbs way faster than the baldies and get to loaf around waiting 😏

351490753_5875924319180172_1290931978229799959_n.jpg

The George used to be 100x more characterful with 1000x better beer, to be fair. It was bought by a brewery chain about 5 years or so back and they eliminated all the surly service, dodgy furniture, awful food and great beer that had previously made the place great.

The food looked pretty bad (the pizzas anyway), service was terrible and like you say, beer was crap. Location and their accommodation is I guess where they make the money.

The food looked pretty bad (the pizzas anyway), service was terrible and like you say, beer was crap. Location and their accommodation is I guess where they make the money.
The rooms are pretty good to be fair, the one time I’ve stayed there. The dog friendly ones, anyway. And the food is merely bad now, not awful! But it used to have amazing local beer — all gone now :(

The George used to be 100x more characterful with 1000x better beer, to be fair. It was bought by a brewery chain about 5 years or so back and they eliminated all the surly service, dodgy furniture, awful food and great beer that had previously made the place great.
They were just starting the work last time me and the wife were there. They still had good Welsh ale. We camp just up the hill from there at the farm at the back of Kings YHA. Been going to that campsite since I was 18. Went to a few raves at the Blue Pool.

Shame about the pub but it was always going to get ducked over by the stay cation developments. The little one on the top road by the lake was a nice little pub but I think that's changed hands a number of time in recent years.

It's a lovely area of Wales though.

The rooms are pretty good to be fair, the one time I’ve stayed there. The dog friendly ones, anyway. And the food is merely bad now, not awful! But it used to have amazing local beer — all gone now :(
That's a shame. They used to always have that local beer with the Moose as its logo. I think they're based in Mycuntlips

Hmmm. It's in a fantastic location obvs but tbh, the lager's shite; some kind of craft piss. In an almost unheard of turn of events, we eschewed the pub to scarper back to the campsite and drink blessed Heineken still cool from the icebox.

Coed y Brenin was fucking amazing btw. No way would I have done it without the ebike; the climbs would have murdered me. Absolutely loved the bike though - a complete revelation. We did most of the Dragon's Back | Beics Brenin which is basically The Beast without the top 4kms. I came off about 5 mins after starting but they definitely design it so the first 200-300m is technical af and really hard. I declared my hand in no uncertain terms and told the baldies that this was a fucking stupid idea and I hadn't spent a shitload hiring a bike just to push the fucking thing around all fucking day, fuck this you fuckers you never said it was like this and look I'm fucking bleeding and it really hurts fuck off.

Then I had a banana and got on with it.

The Addams Family runs were the most fun I've had haring downhill except for skiing. The opportunities to absolutely fuck yourself up are legion though - at least with skiing, you're generally crashing on open piste; at CyB you are definitely going to hit trees (or rocks as in my case).

ebike means you do all the climbs way faster than the baldies and get to loaf around waiting 😏

View attachment 377526
On the bike front and CyB. I've got a but of a rep for being a downhill tit. Not sure how I haven't seriously hurt myself up to now. You just have to forget about the trees and trust the track.

Glad you enjoyed it. It is a very well thought out place.

Purple Moose, Porthmadog. Pretty good stuff.

Your way with Welsh place names is unfunny to natives, btw.
Ok, please accept my apologies. People have difficulties understanding the way we talk as well. I don't mind it but I accept that it smarts you.

That's the brew. Very nice.

If anyone is looking to stay in the area. I can recommend a place just near Machynlleth run by a friend and former South Londoner, known to some urbanites as DJ Badly. You can stay in a boat (in a field) and hang out in a Shed of the year. The place and the owner are both on the quirky side.

Back
Top Bottom