Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Welsh govt introduces measures to curb second homes and short-term holiday accommodation

That's dumb even for you Frank, you can't upset the market and it can't decide to do or not do anything. It is simply the end result of people acting in what they perceive to be their own interests, needs or wants.

You make it sound like there's some kind of level playing field going on. There isn't. What you call a market is a rigged game created by capital to get more capital. That's the only way it ever goes. If markets were a self-organising, inherently self-regulating thing then we'd see equilibrium, or at least periods of equilibrium. What we actually see is a constant, ever-accelarating distortion, a constant transfer of resources from where there's less to where there's more. No natural system does this. Not for long anyway. Because the system itself would inevitably collapse.

Most people in the market are prevented from acting in their own best interests. I spend half my income on rent and have nothing to show for it. That's not in my interests at all. But I don't have a choice. I can't affect the market in any way. The market is a poker game where half the players don't get given any cards, but are forced at gunpoint to buy in just the same. It's not a market at all, it's just a shakedown.

If I was someone like you I'd be in favour of some mild regulation upsetting the applecart a bit. Because it might just keep a massive scam that I'd personally done pretty well out of going long enough for me to die wealthy. The alternative, leaving the market in charge and doing nothing at all to reign its its worst excesses, actually threatens you and everything you think you own. But you probably won't really understand that until it's too late.

You make it sound like there's some kind of level playing field going on. There isn't. What you call a market is a rigged game created by capital to get more capital. That's the only way it ever goes. If markets were a self-organising, inherently self-regulating thing then we'd see equilibrium, or at least periods of equilibrium. What we actually see is a constant, ever-accelarating distortion, a constant transfer of resources from where there's less to where there's more. No natural system does this. Not for long anyway. Because the system itself would inevitably collapse.

Most people in the market are prevented from acting in their own best interests. I spend half my income on rent and have nothing to show for it. That's not in my interests at all. But I don't have a choice. I can't affect the market in any way. The market is a poker game where half the players don't get given any cards, but are forced at gunpoint to buy in just the same. It's not a market at all, it's just a shakedown.

If I was someone like you I'd be in favour of some mild regulation upsetting the applecart a bit. Because it might just keep a massive scam that I'd personally done pretty well out of going long enough for me to die wealthy. The alternative, leaving the market in charge and doing nothing at all to reign its its worst excesses, actually threatens you and everything you think you own. But you probably won't really understand that until it's too late.
You do spout some utter bilge don't you Frank? Of course there's not a level playing field whoever said there was. The people selling the houses want as much for them as they can get. The people coming in from outside are able to outbid the locals for the simple reason they have more money to spend. Is this fair? of course it isn't but it's not rigged there is no conspiracy controlling prices in Wales or Cornwall (which I suspect is where you're really ranting about). It is just a result of people asking for as much as they can get and getting it because there are people willing to pay it.
Restricting 2nd home ownership has a strong appeal that I can certainly understand but it just isn't going to work, the only thing that will work as I pointed out earlier is a large scale council house building program and sadly for the forseeable I don't see it. The Tories are idealogically opposed to that and Labour don't seem to show much interest either.

Everyone in the UK should be allocated a quota of living space, let's say 200m2 or something like that. For anything over that, including second homes, there should be some kind of heavy tax per m2 which would go towards building social housing.

One of the benefits of this scheme would be that people living in scenic areas who have big homes (for example, they have more than one bedroom per resident, or an unnecessarily large conservatory) would be incentivised to give over part of their home to, let's say Londoners who live in small flats. The Londoner would have a room or two that they could use for holiday purposes, as long as it still fell within their quota. The scenic rural dweller would avoid the over-quota tax. The pressure for second homes would be reduced (why spend hundreds of thousands when you can have something for free). Very much a win/win/win/win situation.

This would reduce one of the inequalities in the UK which is that city dwellers have to spend lots of money to spend time in nice scenery, whereas many rural dwellers get it virtually for free. Nice scenery is a communal resource and it shouldn't be hogged by a select few.

Remember that under my scheme rural dwellers with small houses would also be able to claim some of their quota in the homes of posh Londoners. The only people that will object to this proposal are those who live in extravagant properties whether those properties are in Hampstead or St Ives or Wales or whatever.

Back
Top Bottom