Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

I’m going dog sitting near Hay on Wye. Tell me stuff.

You might be able to catch the tail end of h.Art week

Lovely. Yes, Herefordshire recommendations appreciated also.
Nothing specific. Can't remember exactly. But along the Wye between Hay and Hereford, there are some properly remote bits of Herefordshire. It's beautiful around there and not too hilly if you want to do a bit of easier walking. Great area to explore.

The Craig Coch dam in Elan Valley is very atmospheric ( and a bit scary).

I'd drive over the Brecon Beacons, alongside the reservoirs is lovely, and there are stopping points, places to park up, even if you're not up for walking.

It's gorgeous round there, I don't know it very well, but me and my girls went to Wales at Easter and met up with friends near Hereford on the way, and then came back again through Brecon Beacons, and into Hay for a short stop. Our friends live in Abergavenny which is also lovely.

Whenever I hear 'In A Big Country' by Big Country my brain replaces the 'stay alive' lyric from the chorus with 'hay on wye' look it fits:

I have nothing material to say, having never been there (but always wanting to go). However, I just wanted to express my envy at your good fortune, being able to to pootle about fresh places with pleasant scenery and pubs and a friendly temporary acquaintance. Hope you enjoy every moment of it.

The black and white villages of Herefordshire are very pretty
Mr B's aunt lives in Weobley and I've always enjoyed our trips over there to see her.

If you like old buildings, this is a good place, excellent cafe iirc

I want to say Hereford - because the cathedral and cathedral quarter are absolutely stunning, and there are plenty of nice pubs, and even cake shops - but unfortunately the town is a bit more disappointing than it should be, and to my disgust, the Chained Library in the Cathedral is just crap.

You can't see any of these incredible books - it's simply a load of bookshelves with chains across them. They could be copies of Readers Digest for all I know....

The Chinese Takeaway in Talgarth is shit. Not really related to the Watermill, but it is shit.

There's a pub in Rhayader called the Eagle - behind the livestock market - they do a reasonably good, but absolutely huge, Sunday roast for about £12.

Good cake shop and bakery in Crickhowell - and there is, or was, a fantastic falafel and salad takeaway place in Hay. Sort of underneath the market hall if I think correctly...

I have chronic pain and chronic fatigue, so standing for long/walking are problems. I have a car and a blue badge. And an able bodied partner (who will be doing the actual dog walking).
did you know you can buy an aluminium wheelchair on ebay for £120? Might ease the fatigue, I bought one in February. Can't help with where you're going but thought I'd mention the chair :)

If anyone wants to get out into the rurals but has limited mobility, there's an org called Countryside Mobility who have provided a load of 4wd electric mobility scooters in a number of locations across England and Wales - nothing, sadly, near Hay, but they have them in the Forest of Dean and The Malvern Hills.

They are mainly in the SW, but some in the North as well. Website isn't brilliant, but with a bit of effort in searching online you can get good results.

www.countrysidemobility.org

I used one when I twisted a knee a few years ago - it was a blessed relief to get out, and the dog was knackered after 4 hours...

IMG_20230314_111426546_HDR.jpg

It was, dear reader, fucking great fun - and yes, I drove it like I stole it.

I think I had to join - about £5 - and then hire it for 4 hours at £5. Does about 6km/hr, and will do about 30km.

You know, when you've finished at the Button Museum, you could head down to the Forest of Dean to see the nicest ukulele teacher and his ukulele shop at The Uke Room. You'd have to check when he's not teaching though.

Back
Top Bottom