Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Considering moving to Cardiff....Tell me about Cardiff!

Sorry to hear about nasty new neighbours :(.
Have always liked what I've seen of Bristol when I've visited friends; they lucked out and bought an old (Victorian?) terraced property in Bedminster back around ~2006 I think, which they've maxed out with extending over the years. They've also been very financially astute with using the loft conversion to put up loads of language students and are well on the way to being mortgage free in less than 10 years :eek:. Still struggling to get in a position to buy our first place whilst we've just been given notice by current landlords to move out as they're moving in… renting, great innit! :rolleyes:

Sorry to hear about nasty new neighbours :(.
Have always liked what I've seen of Bristol when I've visited friends; they lucked out and bought an old (Victorian?) terraced property in Bedminster back around ~2006 I think, which they've maxed out with extending over the years. They've also been very financially astute with using the loft conversion to put up loads of language students and are well on the way to being mortgage free in less than 10 years :eek:. Still struggling to get in a position to buy our first place whilst we've just been given notice by current landlords to move out as they're moving in… renting, great innit! :rolleyes:
Oh I'm sorry that's shit. Yeah it is way harder for most renting- I was very very lucky in the mid 90'S and got the last of the Tenants Incentive Scheme (TIS) as a housing association tenant that gave me a fair sized deposit to put down to buy a house. It was the only window for me.

Very late to this thread kalidarkone :oops: , but good luck with all your plans.

There's loads positive about Cardiff, we visit (from Swansea ;) ) often.

Would be great to see you again for beers and chat at some point, if you do move :cool:

It doesnt have a good music scene. It has a completely shit music scene. Got a good pub bar commercial 'going out' scene but music scene is worse than 10 years ago when I lived there and it wasnt that great then!

It also feels a lot smaller and more provincial than Bristol, despite being a capital city. Good side is you randomly bump into people more and it's great for walking/cycling. Also stunning countryside. Oh and it's got lots of traffic and very car dominated in lay-out.

But overall there's a fair bit to like about Cardiff. The market, the coast, the nearby countryside, the cheaper prices. The parks are really great! Lots of local shops and interesting venues without the wankiness of Bristol. And it isnt as full of daft green hippies or rich London wankers as Bristol. I think it's worth a shot... although it's very different, generally. You are definitely in Wales and reminded of nationality stuff a lot more than in England.

On a deeper level in some ways Cardiff feels more community orientated and less segregated than Bristol. In other ways it's as bad if not worse.. student areas etc a big issue. NHS probs a good bet but job market and wages worse overall I reckon in other sectors.

Last edited:
After extensive and quite frequent comparisons :D :thumbs:, I have to conclude that the choice and range of pubs and beer is vastly superior in Bristol .

And that's even allowing for the fact (tbf!) that Cardiff's pub and beer choice has been improving considerbly in recent years :)

And also tbf, BOTH are hugely better in this context than Swansea :(

Back
Top Bottom