Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

USB audio interface recommendations?

matt m

Feel a bit stupid (and more than a little pissed off) as have just bought a new white plastic Macbook, with extra RAM and all, without noticing that they no longer do Firewire.

Which makes my M-Audio Firewire unit totally bloody useless. I kind of assumed that there would surely be Firewire-USB adapters out there. There aren't. I thought of trying to send the laptop back, but I've thrown away the box, and migrated all my stuff from the old one now, so don't fancy my chances.

So any recommendations for a good USB interface? Let's say max of 500 quid budget, though I'd prefer around the 300 mark.

Two requirements:

1. Noise-free pre-amps
I found that despite everyone always slagging off M-Audio products, my M-Audio Firewire had excellent pre-amps: totally transparent, no noise. It was also very reliable.

2. A minimum of 2 inputs (more would be preferable, though not essential)

Suggestions?

yeah, that does look good. I like the idea of that built-in limiter.

Digital Village currently have a B-stock MOTO 828MkII USB version at £350 which I'm tempted by

A friend has one, i've used it before for multiple outs very successfully but i wouldnt be able to tell you first hand about the sound of the pre-amps, although I've been told good things. The MOTU Ultralite does have nice preamps, but I think thats firewire only (do you have the firewire 410? the Ultralite quates to a similar spec product from MOTU albeit higher end) I dont suppose youre wanting to sell the M-audio box?

Went for the MOTU in the end. It arrived yesterday. And yes, I will be definitely be selling the M-Audio, though I want to just check that the MOTU works properly (it's ex-demo) and does all I want it to first off.

Just bought some M-Audio BX5 Carbon speakers and realised that I need an audio interface, I don't want to spend crazy money, these speakers are just for listening to music and watching movies though my PC.

Any recommendations? Been reading that USB is not the best way to go as it is the slowest... But I would like some more information.

No, one of these:

$_35.JPG

But I will have two speakers? Where would I stick that in my pc?

The speakers will have one input and then a cable joining them together. Take your line out from your PC (3.5mm usually) and then plug the other end into the adaptor then into speaker.

Actually, sorry, I'm wrong. I thought they were the same as my Mackies. Looks like they do have a separate input on each speaker. This would do it:

preview.jpg

Back
Top Bottom