Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

US election 2012

Joe Biden has evidently decided that he's sick of just kissing babies.

653212087.jpg

Is this creepy, or sweet, or both?

BHO, meanwhile. . .

original.jpg

You'd never see someone doing that to the Queen! ;)

Surprised there is no fuss about Romney dodging the draft and going to Nam - Bush got stick for serving in the National Guard rather than going to Nam, I think Clinton got similar when he was running, before him Bush Senior was in WW2 so didn't get any stick about his war record - Obama is too young to have been drafted.

Surprised there is no fuss about Romney dodging the draft and going to Nam - Bush got stick for serving in the National Guard rather than going to Nam, I think Clinton got similar when he was running, before him Bush Senior was in WW2 so didn't get any stick about his war record - Obama is too young to have been drafted.
What are you saying? that Romney dodged the draft?

Oh ok. And now he wants to be the "soldier in chief" (whatever) how shameless is that .....
I'm all in favour of dodging the draft - I'd have schlepped to Canada but it does seem to be an issue for the yanks - mind you McCain was a war hero, survived prison camps in nam and he didn't get elected.

Romney didnt dodge the draft, as he was never drafted. He did have a couple of student deferments but they are standard. When his deferments were over though there was no dodging he just wasnt drafted. There was nothing shonky, no scams or anything it was all normal just as for many others.

He took all the deferments he could get while being pro-war.
• Before joining college, Romney had received a deferment from the draft as a Mormon 'minister of religion' for the duration of his missionary work in France, which lasted two and a half years. At the time, there was an agreement of sorts between the church and the Selective Service allowing exemptions from the draft for missionaries. Before and after his missionary deferment, Romney also received nearly three years of deferments for his academic studies.

• In April 1965, Romney registered with the Selective Service but was not considered readily available for military service until December 1970. When he became eligible for military service in 1970, he drew a high number in the annual draft lottery and at that time no one drawing higher than 195 was drafted.
http://2012.republican-candidates.org/Romney/Military.php

Romney didnt dodge the draft, as he was never drafted. He did have a couple of student deferments but they are standard. When his deferments were over though there was no dodging he just wasnt drafted. There was nothing shonky, no scams or anything it was all normal just as for many others.
If he loved the US so much, he wouldn't have taken a deferment - which is basically dodging

The Republicans seem keen attacking Democratic candidate Military records - John Kerry for example, and Bill Clinton, they couldn't attack Gore as he did go to Vietnam, even though he probably could have avoided it like Clinton and Bush with help from his daddy.

Surprised the Democrats haven't said anything about Romney avoiding military service - for Obama it isn't an issue - he is too young to be have been drafted - it maybe the last election where this is an issue - until the Gulf War veterans start running.

Surprised the Democrats haven't said anything about Romney avoiding military service - for Obama it isn't an issue - he is too young to be have been drafted - it maybe the last election where this is an issue - until the Gulf War veterans start running.

Or that fighting in wars isn't as big a thing as it used to be for Presidential elections.

If he loved the US so much, he wouldn't have taken a deferment - which is basically dodging

S-2 deferments are not draft dodging. Hundreds of thousands of people have had them.

Let me explain. Draft dodging is when youre going to be drafted and you take specific steps to deliberately avoid that draft.

Going to college like millions of other people & then just not being drafted is not dodging which is exactly why its a non-issue in this election.

I dont think theres anyone stupid enough in the Democrat party (& there are a LOT of stupid people in the party) to even try & play the draft dodge card because it just doesnt exist and if anyone did try & call regular S2's draft dodging theyd know they were suddenly calling hundreds of thousands of new people draft dodgers, including thousands who were actually drafted & served & many in their own party.

Its a falsehood to far because it isnt true & smears to many people..

He didn't have to become a missionary - that was how he avoided service - that and the college exemption - to be fair I'm sure many were tempted to do the same - it's just curious that this appears to be the first presidentual election on a long time where Military service or experience does not appear to be an issue.

The Republicans seem keen attacking Democratic candidate Military records - John Kerry for example, and Bill Clinton, they couldn't attack Gore as he did go to Vietnam, even though he probably could have avoided it like Clinton and Bush with help from his daddy.

Romneys parentage could have got him off too but the fact he didnt go that way kind of negates the slur.

See the reasons Ive given in this thread.

Thats why the Dems are saying little or nothing, its because theres little or nothing to say & if they did say something it would do them more harm than good as it would be a spin to far.

Not enlisting =/= draft dodging

Its quite simple really.

He didn't have to become a missionary - that was how he avoided service - that and the college exemption.

The same is true for hundreds of thousands of people and its not draft dodging.

Besides as I mentioned before the deferments were just that deferments. He was eligible for draft outside of those deferments & wasnt drafted.

Thats not dodging things & why it simply hasnt been an issue.

"Your number didnt come up in the draft, therefore youre a coward & a draft dodger" just doesnt stand up as a slur.

Or that fighting in wars isn't as big a thing as it used to be for Presidential elections.

I think if either candidate had served (or dodged the draft) it would have been just as prominent as in previous elections but with neither serving (or dodging) theres just nothing to say.

The military is still a large & powerful vote so Im sure in 2016, relevant candidates permitting, it will be a talking point again.

There are a names (on both sides) who are being touted for '16 runs who have military backgrounds so it could easily become relevant & 'important' again.

Romneys parentage could have got him off too but the fact he didnt go that way kind of negates the slur.

See the reasons Ive given in this thread.

Thats why the Dems are saying little or nothing, its because theres little or nothing to say & if they did say something it would do them more harm than good as it would be a spin to far.

Not enlisting =/= draft dodging

Its quite simple really.
He avoided war service - it is very similar to draft dodging -

He avoided war service - it is very similar to draft dodging -
Plenty of time between now and the election for Romney to mess up publically.

I suppose all hope to be presidents are god botherers, but Romney is an uber.....
And what is all that about his tax affairs which he won't disclose?

And what is all that about his tax affairs which he won't disclose?
It's customary for pres candidates to release many years of tax returns. His father, George released 12 years. Mit has released most of his 2010 return & says he'll release his 2011 one when it's ready & no more. Says if he releases any more it would give the opposition ammunition.....but he's not hiding anything (!?????).

It's customary for pres candidates to release many years of tax returns. His father, George released 12 years. Mit has released most of his 2010 return & says he'll release his 2011 one when it's ready & no more. Says if he releases any more it would give the opposition ammunition.....but he's not hiding anything (!?????).

I wonder what he is hiding?

Back
Top Bottom