Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Uruguay v Ghana

It is quite amusing though. Something happens that people aren't happy with- Ah, the rules must be wrong, change them. Bring in more technology. Etc.

but being such a footballing luminary you must know this sort of thing's been going on for years?

I'm not excusing the England team or domestic football... my point is, why bother to watch if it becomes so pervasive? The correct decision there would have been a penalty goal - why did Ghana have to take penalty kick at all when the deliberate actions of Suarez denied them a legit goal?

LOL

Penalty goals can only be awarded if the ball is touched with the left hand.

I'm not excusing the England team or domestic football... my point is, why bother to watch if it becomes so pervasive? The correct decision there would have been a penalty goal - why did Ghana have to take penalty kick at all when the deliberate actions of Suarez denied them a legit goal?
A well-taken penalty is unsaveable. It was in Ghana's hands.

You're pumped up with adrenaline, you want to stop the goal by any means necessary, it's an instinct.
You're right, it's an instinct. it was such a quick action no-one could possibly have had the time to calculate that it was better to possibly concede a penalty and be sent off than let the ball in.

I'm pretty sure I remember a feature on Football Focus or the like years back where that basic scenario was put to a number of professionals and they all said they'd stop the goal, with hands if necessary.

Paul Scholes definitely did it once and was very up front about it, started walking before the card was shown.

bob wilson, robbie williams of world cup

Because that's the Laws of the Game. Penalty goals don't exist, no one has ever found fault with this before as the punishment for denying an obvious goalscoring opportunity is basically the highest in the game.

You're right, it's an instinct. it was such a quick action no-one could possibly have had the time to calculate that it was better to possibly concede a penalty and be sent off than let the ball in.
Yes they could. He knew exactly what he was doing. It wasn't premeditated, but that doesn't mean it wasn't worked out right there. He had a decision to make and made that decision – and he knew what that meant. If that had been in the first minute rather than the last, he'd have gone for it with his head.

Yup - total instinct to keep the ball out of the net. Plus thinking about it after it's kind of the best decision - you stop what would have been a definite goal and there is a chance that the resulting penalty may have been missed. Which in this case it was.

Yup - total instinct to keep the ball out of the net. Plus thinking about it after it's kind of the best decision - you stop what would have been a definite goal and there is a chance that the resulting penalty may have been missed. Which in this case it was.
Like I said, a load of players were asked and they used that exact rationale to say they'd handball it. "I trust my 'keeper" was an oft-repeated line.

You're right of course, but wouldn't it have been fucking great if the ref had awarded a 'penalty goal' :D

yep :D To be fair suarez did a completely understandalbe thing under the circumstances, doesnt mean that its not cheating and he didnt deserve to be punished, i don't mind if uruguay win tbf

did i say that?

anyway i'm not going to pointlessly argue this out, night!
Yeah goodnight. Sorry the team that you wanted to win didn't. But there was nothing unfair about it at all - the rules of the game were observed correctly. I sympathise with Ghana but they had 2 chances to win it at the end and failed twice.

Yeah goodnight. Sorry the team that you wanted to win didn't. But there was nothing unfair about it at all - the rules of the game were observed correctly. I sympathise with Ghana but they had 2 chances to win it at the end and failed twice.

Not unfair, the ref has been one of the best in the tournament, but IMO the free kick to Uruguay should never have been given

yep :D To be fair suarez did a completely understandalbe thing under the circumstances, doesnt mean that its not cheating and he didnt deserve to be punished, i don't mind if uruguay win tbf
What Suarez did tonight is NOT cheating! However, what Thierry Henry did against Ireland blatantly was.

i really wasn't bothered who won, yes the rules were correctly observed etc.

Back
Top Bottom