Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Uruguay v Ghana

Ref should have given the goal anyway. There's no such thing as a penalty goal, but whether the ball crosses the line or not has never been that important (see: Lampard, Tevez, Gallas, Mendes, Hurst etc). No goal-line technology or video replays, ref's decision is final ;)

hmmmmm...... I would actually say that yes, fouling is cheating, in the strictest sense of the term.

Interestingly, BBC text would agree that he didn't cheat:

Fouling is a incidence of the match. Such as balls going out, goals and getting hit in head during a free kick and pass out.

As I see it, fouling would be cheating if there was a gentlemans' agreement not to kick the opponents' shins, tug their shirts, squeeze their privates during dead ball situations or pick up the ball with the hands, and run towards the opposing goal.

If this was a poker game, Suaréz played a low-probability, win-or-bust bluff which paid out in the river. He was not carrying a couple of aces up his sleeve or turned the table, punched the other player and ran away with as many chips as he could.

Sorry for the awful analogy :p

Fouling is a incidence of the match. Such as balls going out, goals and getting hit in head during a free kick and pass out.
Aye, and it's a cheaty incidence :p

As I see it, fouling would be cheating if there was a gentlemans' agreement not to kick the opponents' shins, tug their shirts, squeeze their privates during dead ball situations or pick up the ball with the hands, and run towards the opposing goal.
There bloody well is!

If this was a poker game, Suaréz played a low-probability, win-or-bust bluff which paid out in the river. He was not carrying a couple of aces up his sleeve or turned the table, punched the other player and ran away with as many chips as he could.

:D

This is great, it's getting like a moral philosophy class! :D

Yes, they were both handball, but the context of the two offences were totally different. Suarez denied an obvious goal but knew the consequences and accepted them. Henry created a situation from which a winning goal arose but even if the ref had called it correctly he knew that he might only have got a yellow card, and that it would not have materially affected his team in a negative way. He got lucky because the goal was allowed to stand, but he made no attempt to own up to his offence - until after the game when he knew it would make no difference.

And that's just blatant cheating.
Suarez Henry created a situation from which a winning goal was denied arose but even if the ref had called it correctly he knew that he would might only have got a red yellow card, and that it would not have materially affected his team in a negative way. He got lucky because the penalty goal was missed allowed to stand. He had no option but to own up to his offence as it was spotted by the referee but he made no attempt to own up to his offence - until after the game when he knew it would make no difference.

fp1.jpg

I wish I could have put it like that! :D

Suarez Henry created a situation from which a winning goal was denied arose but even if the ref had called it correctly he knew that he would might only have got a red yellow card, and that it would not have materially affected his team in a negative way. He got lucky because the penalty goal was missed allowed to stand. He had no option but to own up to his offence as it was spotted by the referee but he made no attempt to own up to his offence - until after the game when he knew it would make no difference.

And so is that.

Dr Furface (and others saying Suarez did not cheat) is it your opinion that Henry cheated as his offence was not spotted and he didn't own up to it?

If so, would the Suarez situation be different in your view if the handball wasn't spotted and he/Uruguay not punished?

Just watching the highlights on MotD, and remembered Uruguay had a blatent penalty denied, so maybe it evened out...
Dr Furface (and others saying Suarez did not cheat) is it your opinion that Henry cheated as his offence was not spotted and he didn't own up to it?

If so, would the Suarez situation be different in your view if the handball wasn't spotted and he/Uruguay not punished?
Just saw that again too, and Suarez did a brilliant double-take and "what, me" when the red card was produced, so you could easily say he was trying to get away with it.

For me though that's a big point - it's about what the player does, regardless of whether he gets caught or not. Breaking the rules is breaking the rules is cheating.

Now you really are escalating this into philosophy, because what you're postulating is a hypothetical situation. You are right to focus on the role of the ref - ie. doing his job correctly - but you are still missing the point if you merely see the two situations as handball offences. As I said before, the context of two offences and their potential consequences is a crucial difference.

you are still missing the point if you merely see the two situations as handball offences. As I said before, the context of two offences and their potential consequences is a crucial difference.
Possibly when considering the extent of the cheating, and subsequently the punishment, but an outfield player handling the ball during open play is an infingement of the rules and thus cheating.

Lee Dixon just agreed with me: (regarding the handball) "...any player I know would have done the same"
This is actually the crux of the difference between the Suarez/Henry handballs - any player would have done what Suarez did tonight in that situation. But ask yourself this - how many players would have done what Henry did in that situation? They were totally different.

Let's not forget the penalty that was never given to Uruguay earlier in the match, but it seems people have forgotten it already

The ref missed clear cut (IMO) penalties that should have been awarded to both teams. Just as he got a number of crucial free kick decisions wrong. Rubbish refereeing, but largely fair rubbish refereeing.

Ref should have given the goal anyway. There's no such thing as a penalty goal, but whether the ball crosses the line or not has never been that important (see: Lampard, Tevez, Gallas, Mendes, Hurst etc). No goal-line technology or video replays, ref's decision is final ;)

^^+1. Partial ref decision ftw.

Guardian minute-by-minute report: "It takes a real streak of evil to win like this."

The Ghanians seem to agree

But now all of Africa is gone, done in by an exchange that favored Uruguay. This was no Hand of God, so dubbed by Diego Maradona, after he swatted home a goal on the fly for Argentina in the semifinals of 1986. In that prehistoric age, the officials did not have a clue that Diego had made his deal with the devil, although the English defenders certainly knew.

The swat by Suárez had the smell of sulfur to it, no deities involved. He performed his handball on the goal line with the entire field watching him. He saved the game for Uruguay. He cuffed a continent as surely as he batted away the goal.
http://news.myjoyonline.com/worldcup/201007/48640.asp

I thought Gyan had a great game and credit to him for stepping up to take the first Ghanaian pen in the shootout.

But he rushed that penalty. He did not take the time to compose himself, but instead tried to get the moment over with as quickly as possible.

And he fucked up. Really harsh to say it and that was a massive moment for him, but he did fuck up. That's why Ghana are not through.

but an outfield player handling the ball during open play is an infingement of the rules and thus cheating.

No. Infringement of the rules and cheating are two different things. Cheating involves a deception - hoping to get away with it and carry on as though nothing had happened. You can infringe the rules without trying to deceive anyone.

Suarez handled the ball openly and no doubt fully expected to be seen. so he infringed the rules but didn't necessarily cheat. He may have intended to cheat (try and get away with it) but since the handball was spotted immediately by everyone it's impossible to say what his intentions were. Therefore it's not possible to say with certainty that he cheated.

Cheating at dictionary.com. Some of the synonyms:

mislead, dupe, delude; gull, con; hoax, fool. Cheat, deceive, trick, victimize refer to the use of fraud or artifice deliberately to hoodwink or obtain an unfair advantage over someone. Cheat implies conducting matters fraudulently, esp. for profit to oneself: to cheat at cards. Deceive suggests deliberately misleading or deluding, to produce misunderstanding or to prevent someone from knowing the truth:

Note the element of trickery. Particularly that last one - to attempt to prevent someone knowing the truth

Back
Top Bottom