Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Urban75 Album of the Year 2021

belboid

Exasperated, not angry.
You just cant put a stop to Bad Habits, maybe they're Good 4 U. Hang on, they were singles not albums and, as we all know, they dont count.

What does count is anything released as an LP or CD or tape or even only via streaming/download. Hell, you can include any new wax cylinders as well if there have been any.

Alll you need to do is think of any number of albums that have been released since December 18 2020, put them into an order from favourite on down and send them over in a 'Conversation' type thing, preferably in the format Artist - Title. That's it, I'll do the rest and you'll never know whether I cheated or not.

Will Nick Cave do it again? Will a secret love for the Manic Street Preachers be revealed? Will I actually get my arse together and post the results when I said I would? Only time will tell.

DEADLINE: MIDNIGHT ON FRIDAY DECEMBER 17

Have a couple of lists to pique your thought process:

I'm sure (I hope) more folk will come along and post a more varied selection.

And here are some reminders of years gone by:
2005: Urban 75's albums of the year... The Countdown Begins!
2006: urban75's albums of the year 2006
2007: U75's albums of the year 2007
2008: Albums Of The Year 2008
2009: Urban75's Album of the Year - The Countdown
2010 - Urban75 Album of the Year 2010
2011 - Urban75 Album of the Year - The Results
2012 - Urban 75's Albums of the Year... The Results!
2013 - Urban75 Album of the Year 2013 - The Results
2014 - Urban75 Album of the Year 2014 - The Results
2015 - Urban75 Album of the Year 2015 - The Results
2016 - Urban75's Album of the Year 2016 - The Results!
2017 - Urban75 Album of the Year 2017 - The Results!
2018 - Urban75 Album of the Year 2018 - the Results
2019 - Urban75 Album of the Year 2019 - the results!
2020 - Urban75 Album of the Year 2020 - the Results

I've not been keeping up but I haven't heard anything this year that's blown me away yet. Anybody got any folk recommendations for me?

I'll hold off for a few days, as I have one eagerly awaited currently travelling through the post to me. Our post service has been shit recently, so hopefully it'll arrive before long.

As with every other year, I won't know what my favourite records of 2021 are until a long time in the future. Oh No by Xiu Xiu, Seek Shelter by Iceage and Year of the Horse by Fucked Up were all decent in their way but I don't think I'd rate any of them among my favourite records by those artists. I did not care for Chemtrails... and haven't really listened to the new new Lana. The new Rudimentary Peni EP, the Early Mornings EP and the Rat Cage/Nervous SS split are all great but I don't think any of them are albums. The new songs from the upcoming Beach House album that isn't out yet are mint but that album isn't out yet, the recent St Vincent sounded OK but not that exciting from what I've heard of it.

ive only two albums ive heard+enjoyed this year (Requiem For A Rave by Posthuman and that German afrobeat thing Nogo found: Muito Kaballa Power Ensemble - Mamari)! Hope to find some more from all this

Heres a list with some interesting stuff on it

especially curious about the Jazz is Dead label stuff
Adrian Younge & Tribe Called Quests producer Ali Shaheed Muhammad teamning up with classic jazz/funk artists on different albums Roy Ayers, Azymtuh, Doug Carn, Gary Bartz etc
Four 2021 albums from their camp! and about same again from 2020
Might be a bit shit, but some good reviews

Last edited:
Impressive that Sleaford Mods have scored so highly with both the Quietus and Gigwise.

And loads more recommends in the album thread that I've half listened to but haven't (yet) invested enough time in to get them onto my list.

Damn. Why is there so much good music now? How the hell am I supposed to choose? It never used to be like this in the old days...

Well an unexpected but most welcome re-release of an album that was virtually possible to get hold of ( it’s digital but the artist is trying to raise money to do the vinyl) . The magnificent The Opiates Revised now called The Opiates Revisited due to some added tracks and a different version of one track.
If you ever want to listen to an epic of someone trying to get over a love affair by making a memorial to loss this it.

Last edited:
Impressive because they're so shit?
I like them, but there's no accounting for taste/other people's objectively incorrect opinions. Haven't bothered listening to the new one though. Impressive because a) there's not much overlap between those two lists, could be wrong but don't think there's anyone else who makes it into both their top 20s, and b) fairly or unfairly, I would sort of expect the Quietus' top 10 or so to just consist of ultra-obscure blackened post-jazz or some shit like that, so if there's a band I've heard of on there then they must've really liked it to bother including it.

Do yous reckon Fearless or Red will take the top spot?

there's a load of people on here with an open love of the Manic Street Preachers, I reckon it'll do well. Sadly.
I like MSP , partly because I was at university with a couple of them , and may have drunkenly met them in the 80s , but I didn't include it in my top 12 .

fairly or unfairly, I would sort of expect the Quietus' top 10 or so to just consist of ultra-obscure blackened post-jazz or some shit like that, so if there's a band I've heard of on there then they must've really liked it to bother including it.
IIRC Sleaford Mods did some exclusive Quietus subscriber content this year, which must guarantee them a decent rating.

Well an unexpected but most welcome re-release of an album that was virtually possible to get hold of ( it’s digital but the artist is trying to raise money to do the vinyl) . The magnificent The Opiates Revised now called The Opiates Revisited due to some added tracks and a different version of one track.
If you ever want to listen to an epic of someone trying to get over a love affair by making a memorial to loss this it.

Putting this promo video up because I really think this album deserves a wider audience

I've sent a list of the 20 albums that I've played the hell out of this year, because that's what really counts.

While we wait for the results here's a list of 10 compilation albums I've enjoyed this year, which I haven't voted for because I know that makes belboid sad:

Disco75 - does the world really need another disco compilation? On the evidence of this 3CD deep dive into disco tracks from 1975, which covers well known classics and obscurities I've never heard of, the answer is a resounding YES!

Curses presents Next Wave Acid Punx - a CD of 80s alt-dancefloor classics - EBM, New Beat, Yello and Colourbox; a CD of recent dance tracks inspired by that sound; and (what makes this set so amazing) a CD of all brand new tracks in the same style. I was originally going to just download any tracks I wanted, but then I found I wanted all of it, so I bought the thing.

AKO150 presents Defender - an album of new jungle tracks that is as good as any jungle compilation that's ever been released. Thanks for bring this to my attention ska invita - I've had a bit of a jungle revival this year thanks to this.

It's A Good Good Feeling: The Latin Soul Of Fania Records - all the latin soul singles that Fania Records released between 1967 and 1975. The box set is on my Christmas list. Hope I've been good enough for Santa this year.

Italians Do It Better - an album of Madonna covers from artists on the IDIB label. Some are quite faithful, others are unrecognisable. All are worth hearing.

Nancy Sinatra ‎– Start Walkin' 1965-1976 - there's loads of Nancy Sinatra compilations, but if you haven't got any Nancy in your life, this is the one. I love Nancy.

Driving Blind Vol 2 -all killer no filler album of house/electro/breakbeat/trance/acid/techno from French label les Yeux Orange.

Foundations (Deewee 200) - electro disco and synthpop from Soulwax's latest label.

DJ Athome presents Spaced Out! - remember the early 90s when crusty festival acts started making ambient techno? Here's a compilation of the stuff. I wasn't much of a fan at the time, preferring banging dance tunes, but I quite like this comp. Trigger Warning: contains Ozric Tentacles.

Now Thing 2 - follow up to 2001's showcase of instrumental dancehall tunes. Worth the wait.

I've sent a list of the 20 albums that I've played the hell out of this year, because that's what really counts.

While we wait for the results here's a list of 10 compilation albums I've enjoyed this year, which I haven't voted for because I know that makes belboid sad:

Disco75 - does the world really need another disco compilation? On the evidence of this 3CD deep dive into disco tracks from 1975, which covers well known classics and obscurities I've never heard of, the answer is a resounding YES!

Curses presents Next Wave Acid Punx - a CD of 80s alt-dancefloor classics - EBM, New Beat, Yello and Colourbox; a CD of recent dance tracks inspired by that sound; and (what makes this set so amazing) a CD of all brand new tracks in the same style. I was originally going to just download any tracks I wanted, but then I found I wanted all of it, so I bought the thing.

AKO150 presents Defender - an album of new jungle tracks that is as good as any jungle compilation that's ever been released. Thanks for bring this to my attention ska invita - I've had a bit of a jungle revival this year thanks to this.

It's A Good Good Feeling: The Latin Soul Of Fania Records - all the latin soul singles that Fania Records released between 1967 and 1975. The box set is on my Christmas list. Hope I've been good enough for Santa this year.

Italians Do It Better - an album of Madonna covers from artists on the IDIB label. Some are quite faithful, others are unrecognisable. All are worth hearing.

Nancy Sinatra ‎– Start Walkin' 1965-1976 - there's loads of Nancy Sinatra compilations, but if you haven't got any Nancy in your life, this is the one. I love Nancy.

Driving Blind Vol 2 -all killer no filler album of house/electro/breakbeat/trance/acid/techno from French label les Yeux Orange.

Foundations (Deewee 200) - electro disco and synthpop from Soulwax's latest label.

DJ Athome presents Spaced Out! - remember the early 90s when crusty festival acts started making ambient techno? Here's a compilation of the stuff. I wasn't much of a fan at the time, preferring banging dance tunes, but I quite like this comp. Trigger Warning: contains Ozric Tentacles.

Now Thing 2 - follow up to 2001's showcase of instrumental dancehall tunes. Worth the wait.
Love the look of this list , thanks
Might be worth having a thread of comp recommendations new and old as people come across them. This is much more my kind of thing

I disregard the arbitrary rules about compilations. If they're label based and not released anywhere else I sort of see the label as the artist.

Fight me!

Back
Top Bottom