Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Urban75 Album of the Year 2004

Knotted

Bet the horse knew his name
Well this was a year in which music happened. Indeed some of it released on albums. Vote for them!!

Send me a list of any length (over 30 is getting silly but fine) of albums released in 2004 with the best at top in the format

artist - album

Or in the case of classical type albums

performer [composer] - album

No compilations, no eps. Live albums fine, archival albums fine. DJ mixes maybe acceptable.

RYM says, NME says, Rolling Stone says, Perfect Sound Forever says, Record Collector says IQ (blimey), Pitchfork says, The Wire says.

But probably ignore all that.

I don't know much about this year at all. But I still know the best album of the year is 渋さ知らズ [Shibusashirazu] by 渋星 (Shibuboshi)

It's like Ground Zero meets the Sun Ra Archestra. Which is like Vishnu meeting Yahweh or something. Next level up from godlike. Jazz/rock/klezmer.

I mean the fuck is happening here:

This will destroy worlds.

edit:

Some comments from RYM

"I don't even know how this was plannified, performed and recorded.
It's absolutely insane."

"I don't usually think of Japan as a jazz powerhouse, but Naadam is some of the best big band music since The Black Saint and the Sinner Lady."

"holy fuck"

"triumph in madness
this album opened my third eye. it is a myriad of gods creating, toying with, and destroying the universe all in the span of an hour. This does not even sound like something remotely from our world. I will need at least a month to process what I just heard."

"i am floored by this god damn album. i’ve said before that i’m not even remotely an expert on jazz, but i can tell u that, even in a genre w/ countless fantastic records, this is the most i have ever emotionally connected with a jazz related lp."

"Damn near a masterpiece"

"Overall, if you're interested in a brutally progressive, otherworldly jazz fusion record, then check this album out. Incredible instrumentation and fusion in this album."

"A very psychedelic and surreal experience front-to-back, kind of like a marching band playing but on acid and on the moon while simultaneously the sun is exploding."

"It's albums like this that truly blow me away."

"This is so fucking good I can barely describe it"

"It is difficult to make an album this instrumentally dense emotive. A suite of instruments can get bogged down in the myriad virtuosity of the musicians. In Shibuboshi, though, each instrument is working together to produce exciting songs that never feel too technical."

"Pandora's box, except it's virtuosic cats leaping across the inside walls.
These recordings truly take the explosive and exploratory formulas traversed on recordings like Bitches Brew or Get Up With It, and blow them up exponentially using equally talented players, driven by the force of a runaway train. An hour long free fall."

Last edited:
Should've been pop album of the year was Annie's Anniemal. Loaded with excellent tracks, production by Royksopp & Richard X, critics went mad for it but... single Chewing Gum crawled to 25 in the charts, follow up Heartbeat, which deserved to be huge, peaked at number 50. Her label lost interest in her and she's languished as a cult figure ever since.

The Emperor Machine - Aimee Tallulah Is Hypnotised

What do you get if you mix Krautrock, the BBC Radiophonic Workshop, euro-disco, post-punk, jazz-funk and John Carpenter? An excellent album, that's what:

We're gonna need a judges decision on that one. It got a limited CD only release in Japan in late 2004, but got a proper release everywhere else in the world in 2005.

I'm happy to put it as my number 1 both years as it's one of the best albums ever :cool:

I'm going to rule 2004.

The Emperor Machine - Aimee Tallulah Is Hypnotised

What do you get if you mix Krautrock, the BBC Radiophonic Workshop, euro-disco, post-punk, jazz-funk and John Carpenter? An excellent album, that's what:

That sentence persuaded me six times over to listen to this.

Amadou & Mariam – Dimanche À Bamako

Malian couple Amadou & Mariam had been playing together since the 70s, had some success in the 80s after meeting Stevie Wonder and starting to play festivals around the world, but then Manu Chou heard them on the radio and approached them to produce this album. I love this.

Earlier this year, someone asked me to name a problematic artist who I love wholeheartedly, and the immortal name of Leftover Crack instantly came to mind. Yes, the cover art is undeniably very silly, but I still don't think that anyone has ever explored the territory between ska and extreme metal as well as the mighty Leftover Crack did on Fuck World Trade.

Real New Fall LP (Formerly Country on the Click) came out in the UK in 2003 and then came out in the US with two more songs included, does that count as a new album for 2004?

classic uk hiphop

LmpwZWc.jpeg

also the klashnekoff debut

Last edited:
If you only listen to one Swedish grindcore album from 2004, I'd recommend making it Shift by Nasum:

Sadly the singer died two months after it came out.

In his book Mutations, Sam McPheeters has a whole chapter about how the Casual Dots' self-titled album was the last time he ever fully fell in love with a band. I don't think it has quite the same effect on me, but perhaps it will on you?

And some pleasingly noisy, jangly electroey poppiness from Bristol

Chikinki - ‘Lick Your Ticket’

I originally found this messy nurave-adjacent breakcore thing on the Internet Archive but it's also on BC

Oxygenfad - ‘Sells Out 2’

As already endorsed by ska invita and likely to notch up more than a few votes I would imagine

Skinnyman - ‘Council Estate Of Mind’

Absolutely battle-ready sampledelic carnage

Strictly Kev/DJ Food - ‘Raiding The 20th Century’

Back
Top Bottom