Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Urban75 Album of the Year 1984

Knotted

Bet the horse knew his name
So 1984... the year of Band Aid and the miners strike... New wave is sounding old, NWOBHM is sounding tired, all the boring old pop and rock stars are looking for a charity grift. But don't worry all of Europe must go communist! The Soviets are here to save us.

You have the rest of the month afternoon to vote for the supreme elite Turkmen fusion squad Гунеш with their album Вижу Землю. You do this by DMing me a list with in the format

Гунеш - Вижу Землю

No eps, no compilations and no albums other than Вижу Землю.

View attachment jTAyvX.mp4

Did someone say "charity grift"? Well in fairness to his Bobness, he meant it, man. And I don't remember him trying to piggyback the Rats' '84 album (In the Long Grass) onto the Band Aid stuff.

In all seriousness, this is a good album - even if it's just His Other Bobness doing all the old hits.

The Waterboys, A Pagan Place, - Scott got the name from the Edna O'Brien novel, which he hadn't actually read. In fairness, I haven't read it either.

Not sure about this one - it was all leading up to This is the Sea in 1985, which remains the best thing he ever did. But he always had his own unique vision, and everything he did bears this mark.

Jah Shaka Meets Mad Professor At Ariwa Studios is probably my favourite dub album, edging out even mid 70s Perry & Tubby with its 80s electronic weirdness.

Also on Ariwa is The Wild Bunch album, with peak Mad Professor doing his thing and Sandra Cross on vocals.

NME albums of 1984.

You'll remember most of these.

Some great stuff in there, some stuff that was "of its time", and some stuff that's now forgotten. . .

It feels very formulaic to me. Metallica broke free in 1984. I'm not sure I love it, but it at least doesn't sound like loud, fast Rainbow.

Both great albums. Ride the Lightening was a great leap forward for both Metallica and metal, but Powerslave is excellent.

Cabaret Voltaire - Micro-Phonies

CV tone down the harshness and get the funk on this album. It's probably my favourite of theirs.

So good Ferris Bueller had the poster on his bedroom wall:

img_0230.png

Favourite electro artist albums from 1984 - Newcleus, Shango [Africa Bambaataa, Bill Laswell and Bernard Fowler [Tackhead & Peech Boys] & Egyptian Lover.

Was reading what other music projects Newcleus members were involved in and saw that Ben Cenac was in Dream 2 Science that released a very nice ep / lp of deep house in 1990.

Back
Top Bottom