Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Urban75 Album of the Year 1973

Knotted

Bet the horse knew his name
Yes get lost at sea and Floyd go huge. Is Head Hunters the GOAT jazz funk? Is Gentlemen really an EP? I suspect you're all not going to vote for Goodbye Yellowbrick Road, but maybe you should???

Me? I'm just the lawnmower. I'll be talking a lot about krautrock. The track and the genre.

RYM says, Rolling Stone says, NME says.

Send me a list. With the format Artist - Album (or if necessary Performer [Composer] - Album). Any length of list is fine. Best at the top. No compilations, no EP's. Live albums are fine. Archival albums are also fine but it's release date not recording date that counts. You have the rest of July to get it together.

Last edited:
Not a year I know very well beyond the obvious Stooges, but 1973's notable for probably the first openly gay (and Marxist!) country album, the self-titled Lavender Country record:
Featuring the fantastically-named Cryin' These Cocksucking Tears:

Apparently he died last year, RIP.

Lightnin' Rod – Hustlers Convention

Jalal Mansur Nuriddin of The Lost Poets mixes poetry and funk, inventing gangster rap with his tale of two fictional hustlers, Sport and Spoon. Music from Kool & the Gang, Candido, Bernard Pretty Purdie, Johnny Pacheco, King Curtis...

The O'Jays - Ship Ahoy

Funky, soulful, political, incredible. Gamble & Huff, Philadelphia International. The original Now That We Found Love (What are we gonna do... with i-it). People Keep Tellin' Me, the kind of string laden philly-soul that a few years later everyone would describe as disco. And For the Love of Money..

Sly and the Familys there's a riot going on is widely regarded as a classic across music journalism land, but Fresh is absolutely equal to it... Another masterpiece in my opinion.

Headhunters though - such an amazing record - Innervisions too - three of my alltime favourite records already, havent even started looking

Last edited:
Bohannon - Stop & Go

Hamilton Bohannon is another person best remembered for a big disco hit (Let's Start the Dance), but in '73 he'd already established himself as the band leader for Motown live shows, having backed Stevie Wonder, Smokey Robinson, Marvin Gaye, the Temptations, Diana Ross and the Supremes, the Four Tops. This is his first solo album and is funky as anything. Shit, this album is so loaded with greatness I don't even know what track to post. Let's do The Pimp Walk...

Gong - Flying Teapot (Radio Gnome Invisible Part 1)

When I was in the 6th form at school there was a tape player in the common room (that makes it sound posh - it was a tatty prefab hut a slight distance from the rest of the school buildings to isolate the big kids from the little kids). There was a never-ending battle over the music that got played, mostly the metallers vs the hop hop kids, Metallica vs BDP. But there was this one kid who, whatever was playing, would just walk in, turn off whatever was on and put on Gong's Flying Teapot. He'd hold his ground and there was no chance of stopping him til Pete had met the pothead pixies. Over time it went from groans to cheers when he walked in. As a result I have a soft spot for this hippy space rock nonsense.

Studio One Presents Burning Spear

such a seminal album

a few more JA contenders
How about:
"Produced by Lee Perry and Brad Osborne, often titled Black Board Jungle, the album originally released in 1973 under artist name "Upsetters 14 Dub", was pressed in only 300 copies and issued only in Jamaica. "

also this edition slightly different mixes? stereo panning? need to investigate

But not at all obscure as well known in the UK and the world as Blackboard Jungle Dub - an 80s reissue under a new title, with an adjusted tracklisting. this the 80s cover
LmpwZWc.jpeg

amazing groundbreaking record IMO

Last edited:
Elia y Elizabeth - ¡Alegria!

Sunny, funky psych/folk pop from Colombia. Elia and Elizabeth are sisters who were briefly popular in Colombia at the beginning of the 70s. Elia found god and became a nun, Elizabeth became a teacher, leaving just 2 albums to be remembered by. There seems to be debate over the date of their first, self-titled album, but ¡Alegria! is definitely '73. This is just lovely stuff, that transcends time, place or genre and has become better know after a compilation came out a few years ago.

The Sensational Alex Harvey Band - Next.

Alex started as Scotland's next Tommy Steel and finished as The Last of the Teenage Idols. Born in the Gorbals from a family with a tradition of being political and conscientious objectors . His younger brother was the guitarist in Stone the Crows who was sadly electrocuted. SAHB had an aggressive and theatrical live performance, well worth a ticket. He died at 46 from a heart attack

Back
Top Bottom