Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Unite Executive Council elections

Um. Good question. There are two slates. The United Left slate (labourist, supportive of and supports by bureaucrats) with its “Members First” tagline sets alarm bells ringing. It’s clearly a putative opposition to Sharon Graham. The other slate is pro Graham and allegedly for a rank and file left leadership.

Can’t say I’ll be doing anything in support of any of them given recent events in Unite but I’m definitely not voting for the UL slate

93D5FEDC-E48D-4999-86C1-0B85D5317D09.jpeg

Um. Good question. There are two slates. The United Left slate (labourist, supportive of and supports by bureaucrats) with its “Members First” tagline sets alarm bells ringing. It’s clearly a putative opposition to Sharon Graham. The other slate is pro Graham and allegedly for a rank and file left leadership.

Can’t say I’ll be doing anything in support of any of them given recent events in Unite but I’m definitely not voting for the UL slate

View attachment 368669
Thanks for heads up

Yeah, what Smokeandsteam said, pretty much. Huge respect for what Gary Walker's done at Chep. I'm guessing Jacqueline Wilson probably isn't the one who wrote Tracy Beaker, but fair play to her if it is I suppose?

Results are out:

Anyone in a position to comment on what it all means? Of the three people mentioned by name on this thread as being decent, I don't think any of them got on. Just checked and it looks like one of the construction R&F candidates got on, but Frank Morris didn't.

It's a win for the anti-Graham faction. Most of 'her' candidates lost, whereas the old UL bunch were successful. Appalling turnout, only the thoroughly committed voted, a sad testimony to the failure of SG to build or even really involve, local structures.

From a quick look around, only article I could find, other than skwawkbox mentalness, was from the AWL:
Although they're notably always lukewarm about Graham anyway cos of her being too mean to Labour.

It's a win for the anti-Graham faction. Most of 'her' candidates lost, whereas the old UL bunch were successful. Appalling turnout, only the thoroughly committed voted, a sad testimony to the failure of SG to build or even really involve, local structures.

Can’t disagree with a word of that. I’ve deliberately not done anything at all and sat back. The only attempt to mobilise seems to have been full timer led for the UL and we know they can’t deliver anything. Piss poor but a setback for Sharon Graham who is now surrounded by the UL

SP seem to be claiming it as a victory:
Not seen anyone actually go through and count up the actual numbers of what the NEC looks like now and what it looked like before, and I can't be arsed to do it myself either.

It’s certainly a victory for them as one of their members was elected. She does have more supporters than before. But, the best candidates on the pro-Graham list lost, as did the deadwood on the list, conversely the UL returned a number of its key supporters. It’s a fucking odd victory….

Yeah, I'm not the greatest expert in Unite's internal politics, but was genuinely a bit surprised that Gary Walker and Frank Morris didn't get elected, they both have very strong records to point to.

Back
Top Bottom