Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

understanding China better

Came across some interesting stats' in the SCMP yesterday.

In 2004 in China there were approximately 800,000 criminal convictions and approximately 2,000 acquittals.

Someone in the justice department was bigging-up the fact that the court and judicial systems were so fair, as evidenced by the fact that there were, indeed, some 2,000 acquittals.

Now. My understanding is that in the UK, something in the region of almost 50% of trials end in the aquittal of the defendent. A 50% chance of being acquitted.

My pocket calculator tells me that in China, the @ 800,000 criminal convictions, juxtaposed against just 2,000 acquittals, suggests that there is a chance of only 0.25% of being acquitedl in a Chinese courtroom.

In a country that has the death penalty on the statute for some 70 offences, not all of which are violent offences, I'd be very, VERY worried were I ever put on trial on the mainland.

*reminds self to still try and keep a wee bit of a low profile to maintain the current status of "flying just under the radar" of those who would prefer to see me in the Laogai*

:)

Woof

AnnO'Neemus said:
I think it was Mao who was supposed to have said: Women hold up half the sky.

My rejoinder to that is that's as well as may be, but it's the men who take all the credit for the fact that the sky doesn't fall down.

I've worked in the footwear trade for 15 years, pretty much all over the world. Yet it took me until two weeks ago to meet a female factory owner - in Qingdao, China.

pinkmonkey said:
I've worked in the footwear trade for 15 years, pretty much all over the world. Yet it took me until two weeks ago to meet a female factory owner - in Qingdao, China.

Yay! Change is afoot! ;)

Although, in general, it would be most likely that she inherited the factory from a father, brother, uncle, (male) whomever.

I'd be really impressed if she started and built the business on her own. Any chance?

Woof

Jessiedog said:
Yay! Change is afoot! ;)

Although, in general, it would be most likely that she inherited the factory from a father, brother, uncle, (male) whomever.

I'd be really impressed if she started and built the business on her own. Any chance?

Woof

Yes actually, it's all hers.

She built it up all by herself from scratch. She is very proud of that. She worked for someone else for years, then she went it alone, designed and made some samples by herself (she can sew and pattern cut anything, she says) and took them out to sell them and got a small order. To fulfill it, she rented a small line in a factory. It's taken her five years to get this far. She is pretty smart - currently studying for a masters part time in Beijing. TBH she got a bit narked when my client asked her if it was any harder being a woman!

I think I'm going to enjoy working with her.

p.s it was bloody cold in Qingdao!

pinkmonkey said:
Yes actually, it's all hers.

She built it up all by herself from scratch. She is very proud of that. She worked for someone else for years, then she went it alone, designed and made some samples by herself (she can sew and pattern cut anything, she says) and took them out to sell them and got a small order. To fulfill it, she rented a small line in a factory. It's taken her five years to get this far. She is pretty smart - currently studying for a masters part time in Beijing. TBH she got a bit narked when my client asked her if it was any harder being a woman!

I think I'm going to enjoy working with her.
Excellent!

:cool:

p.s it was bloody cold in Qingdao!
Better wear yer self-designed, fur-lined booties.

;)

Woof

she got a bit narked when my client asked her if it was any harder being a woman!

It is in any male dominated society, very silly comment to make regardless of the country.

JD, The Rover deal by the SAIC has greater ramifications, it will allow a Chinese owned UK based manufacturing plant begin production and allow access to Europe without the growing argument about Chinese imports. I can see a greater overseas investment using KD ( knock down) vehicle structure,

I better explain, all the body panels would be manufactured in China and exported from in kit form into the place of assembly. Because of the raw material type content and greater use of local labour force a lot less antipathy towards the Chinese investment.

Descartes said:
JD, The Rover deal by the SAIC has greater ramifications, it will allow a Chinese owned UK based manufacturing plant begin production and allow access to Europe without the growing argument about Chinese imports. I can see a greater overseas investment using KD ( knock down) vehicle structure,

I better explain, all the body panels would be manufactured in China and exported from in kit form into the place of assembly. Because of the raw material type content and greater use of local labour force a lot less antipathy towards the Chinese investment.
Aye! I'm with you.

I find it interesting, disconcerting and, to an extent, amusing, the degree to which antipathy is being stirred up (particularly in the US,) towards the impending economic "Yellow Peril".

The US bangs on and on and on about China opening up its markets, to allow international companies to buy huge chunks of China's economy. But when it comes to the quid pro quo, the US suddenly adopts the appearance of a "wide mouthed frog".....

Oh nooooooo. A Chinese company can't buy an American oil company.

Oh nooooooo. A middle eastern company can't buy American ports.

There is no love in business.

Woof

“Can you help me?”, asked one of my domestic helpers. She had cornered me in my bedroom after I had drank rather more than I should have done one particular evening. “I have never been kissed by a man before, I want to try....”. Even taking my current state of inebriation into account, this seemed like a strange request, but then again, putting it in context with my China experience, “suprise” is no longer an impulse that affects me in any great manner. My two domestic helpers had been fighting over my attention for a long while. Xia zi – the woman in question, and Michael – a man who once give me film work as an extra, only never to receive another phone call in his short-lasting career, were not in the strictest terms Domestic Helpers, but rather a couple of disenfranchised Cantonese people I had allowed to live in my spacious apartment – rent free.

Usually, I like my own space, but my domestic helpers , along the 50 RMB women down the alley, have provided some solace for me during a difficult time in my life since the split up from my girlfriend in rather dramatic fashion........ She had been pressurizing me into marriage for quite a while until eventually, matters came to hand in the form of a pregnancy. She give me two very clear and simple options :
1.Marry her
2.We split up, have the abortion, and pay her 13000 RMB

Given these unambiguous choices, I thought long and hard about the consequences of each. Finally, I made a decision – I went on holiday. Unfortunately, life has taught me a harsh lesson. You cannot run away from responsibility. I returned to Zhuhai with an abortion on my hands, and a rather hefty sum off money to pay out. Luckily, since my arrival in China, I have become somewhat proficient at bargaining. I managed to lower my severance fee to a more manageable 4000 RMB, plus the costs of the abortion. It finally put an end to a 14 month relationship that started on a bus during my second week in China. She was sitting in the seat in front of mine, as I was studying my English textbooks for the following day's lesson. Before we had spoken, I had been distracted by the nap of her neck – her wonderful complexion. She turned around to speak to me, to inquire about my stay in China. We exchanged numbers, and before long took part in a courtship that was as traditional as any I have ever experienced in my 31 years.

I arrived in China a bit worse for wear. The Shashlik I had eaten at my leaving party in Kyrgyzstan had disagreed quite adversely with my internal workings. I was sitting at the airport, making frequent visits to the toilet. On one such visit, I received a phone call from an erstwhile girlfriend, whom I had to stop seeing once she started extorting money from me. It is the last time to date that I have spoken to her. I suppose, even among the extortionists of the world, it is possible to harbor strong emotion to some extent. Her final words were “.......I love you”. I felt something touch me deep down in side, which I couldn't quite place, but then I realised that it was much more likely due to the subsequent bowel movement. My good Kyrgyz friend Kuat works in airport security. I spotted him, and joined him for a brandy at the departure gate. I offered to give him all my small left-over change, which he asked me to hand over discretely. He returned the favour by letting me jump the queue for the airplane – a gesture I was thankful for, but a gesture which served no purpose other than for me to question the security procedures in place.

So anyway, I finally arrived in Zhuhai, via Urumxi in the North, and Chengdu in Central China. Within a couple of days, I started working at my first school. The noteworthy people that I should mention are an English ex-actor called David – on TV a lot in the 70's, an Australian man called Macca, who has left a past which is probably more painful than most peoples' nightmares and has since turned to the bottle, and a Czech women called Jitka – a mamouth of a women with tree-trunks for legs, married to a small diminutive Canadian man.

David had a vendetta towards China from the beginning. When I one day suggested that China did not have a policeman on every corner, he screamed at me “Are you crazy!? If I was to stand up right now and say Tiannemen Square was a massacre, you think I would still be in China tomorrow?? You are so naïve!”. In the end, I was proved right, when he did just that and more, in exactly the same venue, in front of all the school management and approximately 80 Chinese “spies”. He got off with a warning.

Macca's history is sordid and obscure, and it is a book of worms probably not worth even touching the cover. Suffice to say, when he drinks past his limit, he has the tendancy to either cry, or swear profusely at anyone who has the misfortune of crossing his path. This has led to numerous druggings, beatings, and being dragged through the bushes. It probably culminated at a nationally broadcast concert when he climbed up on stage and said “F*ck China” on live TV. He mangaged to miraculously avoid a beating that night.

Now on to Jitka. Where to begin. Well, she started taking a liking to me at some point. Given that this woman is a rather grotesque object of undesire, I found the attention at first unwanted, and then a little sinister. She started to give me presents – at first quite innocent ones, such as chocolates and flowers. Then the presents started to become a little more bizarre. Condoms came first, then for Christmas, she gave me a book entitled “The Ultimate Guide to Anal Sex for Women”. The gifts didn't cease. One day, she sent me an email saying that there was an important document hidden inside my desk that she wanted me to sign ASAP. Tentatively, I approached my desk, released the document from the envelope, and read the title. I had to rub my eyes a couple of times just to make sure that I wasn't hallucinating. I felt sure that it said “My last will and testament”, but surely that was out of the question. I opened my eyes again to examine the document, and it did indeed state that in the case of her death, all her property and belongings would be bequeathed to me. These sort of problems are not the kind I like to confront head on. Luckily, I had a reprieve. MASS SACKINGS!

My principal, a woman of few principles if the truth be told, had decided to show these over-privileged whiteys exactly who was in control. One person resigned, one person did a “midnight run”, and in Chinese logic, when you become understaffed, the logical option is to sack the rest of your staff. After seeing four of my colleagues discarded without severance pay, I decided to make a principled stance - I resigned. I finished cancelling all my paperwork and went on holiday looking for a new start.........

Thailand. I can't say that I acted with total moral integrity during my time here, as that would be stretching the truth slightly. I met a nice Japanese girl on a trip to the island to the South of Bangkok. During my time on the island, I received an email from my former school saying something along the lines of - “This is a letter of pending libel action.....yadiyadiyada.....all your money that you are due will be held in escrow (I had to look up this particular legal term) until a full retraction is made....yadiyadiyada........This sort of marred my holiday somewhat, and as a result, that of my Japanese friend, but it all ended up well. I spent my last night in the luxury suite of the 5 star Sofitel hotel – a luxury that has not been exceeded in my life to date.

I returned to China, tail between my legs. I had been advised that the best policy is to curtail one's emotions and kiss ass in these circumstances. "Face" is a concept which is practised in the west, but not to the extent that it is here. I will happily unclothe myself in public and shower in my own piss - for a price. However, kissing ass was not really necessary when I eventually returned to the school, after a few brandies for dutch courage, to collect whatever money was due to me, as everybody concerned hid from me behind glass windows and closed doors.

By this point, I had found a new job in a start-up school. It was under construction when I arrived, and I spent the first two or three months killing time and mosquitos. There were four of us, and our manager was a well-known conman, although the Chinese are not so efficient when it comes to checking references. The conman didn't last long. Neither did the other two teachers. After a while, I affirmed my position as the head teacher – this at a time when my drinking was spiraling into another dimension, and as I found a new drug of choice – well a group of drugs if the truth be told.

In praise of Benzos – the good, the bad, the ugly. The good – I alone managed to put up with the bullshit – no mean feat!. The bad – My memory and my intellectual capacity ain't what it used to be. The ugly – numerous lost phones and wallets, and a lost weekend in Hong Kong – maybe JessieDog can fill in the details, cos I don't know what the fuck went on except for a few smashed glasses, a lost wallet, and a ferry going to a destination other than the one I intended. I love my doctors. I have a doctor in every port – each one with his own unique brand of happy feel-good pills.

So, I climbed the career ladder, and before I know it, I land the position of Director of Studies. For those unaware of teaching, this is a high management position in the school. So far, I have sacked one person and received two death threats. Not bad for only 5 months on the job!

So, all is well, and all is not well. China is a balancing act. I slide too much in one direction, and I lose everything; if I follow the line, who knows what the future holds. One thing I can say for sure – there are no certainties in this existence.

AnnO'Neemus said:
My new boss had fun ordering some frog, thinking I'd object, but I just thought C'est grenouille, innit? That's European food, I can do that. I drew the line at fish head soup though.

Fish head soup is delicious - this from a man who is temporarily sworn off Chinese food!

The fat behind the cheeks is especially good, although I always reject the eye, even when it is presented in a guest of honour manner.

Rock Bottom said:
“The ugly – numerous lost phones and wallets, and a lost weekend in Hong Kong – maybe JessieDog can fill in the details, cos I don't know what the fuck went on except for a few smashed glasses, a lost wallet, and a ferry going to a destination other than the one I intended.
Oh good God! I remember that weekend.

Even the usually placid Nepalese bouncer was getting a wee bit hot under the collar after you'd dropped the third, full pint of beer, to smash, glisten and tinkle its way around the pool table.

Your confidence, unfortunately, new no bounds.

;)

Woof

Today, 16th May 2006, marks the 40th anniversary of the start of China's Cultural Revolution.

On this day in 1966, 40 years ago, Mao exhorted students at Beijing University to rise up against "bourgoise elements" among their teachers and fellow students.

They did.

For the next decade, a generation of secondary-school and university aged children forgot all about getting an education as tens of millions rampaged throughout the cities and countryside, destroying not just much of China's history, but the very fabric of society, the social structures within the home, the workplace and the community at large.

Brother was set upon sister and cousin upon cousin. Children betrayed their parents and parents their children. Workmates betrayed each other as everyone fell over themselves to avoid criticism from the "Red Guards". Property was trashed, especially the ancient and irreplacable treasures of the land. People were humiliated, tortured and murdered. Ordinary people. Good people.

This was (IMO) the darkest period in China's history. The consequences are still being felt today. Estimates of the number of deaths range from 2 Million - 20 Million, with the consensus range being somewhere around 3 Million - 10 Million. Nobody in the city in which I live was untouched by the events of this horrific decade - many of them escaped by the skin of their teeth - all know many who didn't escape.

During the Great Leap Forward in the 1950's, up to 30 Million Chinese starved to death, but this catastrophic time is still overshadowed by the Cultural Revolution IMO. The Cultural Revolution destroyed the basic human trust that held China together throughout the Great Leap Forward. During the GLF, pretty much everyone suffered, together, in their hunger. During the decade of the Cultural Revolution, any last remenants of trust were crushed, everybody informed on everybody else, nobody trusted anyone - not their family, not their closest friend.

The consequences are still apparent in today's China - some 30 years after the end of the CU. As China gradually opens up and peoples living conditions improve, the demons are gradually receeding and normality returning.

It was a dark, DARK time.

Unfortunately, the CCP has eschewed this opportunity to explore and discuss the CU in any great detail. On the contrary, the Party has ordered all media to avoid the subject at this time of the anniversary and is suppressing all attempts to raise the topic on the mainland (in HK, the media is rife with commentary, articles, programmes, analyses, etc.).

Whereas I can understand the Party's fear that open debate about the CU at this time may stimulate further questioning about the current political situation in China (not something the CCP generally wants to encourage), I believe that it is short sighted of the Party to suppress such discussion. Only through an open and honest analysis of the past can we truly hope to avoid the possibility of a repetition of the mistakes made and to ensure that we forge a better future for the country.

Oh well, maybe on the 50th anniversary in 2016.

I'll be waiting.

Woof

The tales of the 'Yellow Peril' are a good way of taking people attention away from their own problems. That's all.

GM laying off workers across the globe, Ford down sizing, and yet China is expanding at a colossal rate and, but we've had this conversation before,

I think the saying is, a good day to bury the bad news, so you point the finger at someone or something else.

The money men in the US want into a growing market and to make more money, The game plan is on hold as the Chinese government has a surplus of money and is now becoming a major lending agent within the world. The need for China is seek outside funding is non exsistent. Another missed opportunity for the US business men. The number of countries being welcomed into the Chinese finance schemes worries the US as the greater dependence on China reduces the need for the dollar.

Opps.

Another anniversary today.

The Tiananmen Square massacre of 4th June 1989.

Never forget.

:(

42789790.jpg

Woof

Today's SCMP has a terrific article by Li Datong, arguing (as I do,) that the media in China are enjoying greater and greater freedoms. He states that there's an awfully long way to go before there is a "free" press in China (and I agree), but the really interesting point is not in the article itself (although it is a really interesting read - please take the time to read it,) but in who Li Datong is.

Li, was the Editor-in-Chief of the hugely popular Bingdian Weekly until he was recently sacked (essentially forced out by the CCP,) for sailing a wee bit close to the wind. The weekly was shut down by Beijing, but the ensuing public outcry made them rethink and allow the paper to continue publishing (albeit sans its Editor-in-Chief).

I find the article extremely positive and encouraging. Li is positing that despite his sacking, the liberalisation of press freedom in China is a one-way-street and that there's no turning back.

Good news indeed, the Genie is well and truly out of the bottle.

News_li27.IMGb.jpg

Thursday, July 27, 2006.

THE MAINLAND MEDIA

There's hope on the horizon

LI DATONG

A remarkable incident has emboldened mainland Chinese journalists. The government suspended publication of the Bingdian Weekly newspaper supplement this year, provoking unprecedented open protest that received extensive media coverage worldwide. Even more surprisingly, the government, under the pressure of public opinion, allowed Bingdian to resume publication. The editor-in-chief and his deputy were sacked, but the open questioning of the legitimacy of the government's regulation of journalism is bound to have a profound impact.

Foreign observers are prone to associate the incident with other recent crackdowns on China's mass media, and to conclude that journalistic freedom is a hopeless cause on the mainland. There has been no significant change in the government's system of regulating journalism during the almost 30 years of its open-door policy in other areas. On the contrary, it has become more rigorous and covert.

But I still have faith that subtle changes are occurring. For example, a prerequisite for effective control of the media is that those who are controlled should accept the controller's ideology. But today, the Central Propaganda Department struggles to maintain ideological control through internal notices and issuing warnings by telephone - which are widely scorned. More importantly, even the regulators themselves have ceased to believe in obsolete and rigid doctrines. I recently met an official working for a provincial Department of Propaganda and was impressed by his bold and straightforward comments on current affairs.

For their part, producers of news have long since ceased to believe that news should be propaganda. I started my career with China Youth Daily in 1979 and have experienced the whole process of China's opening up and reformation. My generation of Chinese journalists broke from traditional communist ideas about journalism by the mid-1980s, through extensive reading of western journalism. Younger journalists have been exposed to western journalistic ideas from the very beginning of their training. This is a crucial change, and it is the fundamental reason for an increasing number of genuine news items and commentaries in the mainland media today. Market pressure has also been important in pushing the mainland media to embrace change.

Contrary to foreign perceptions, only a handful of publications - for example, People's Daily, Guang Ming Daily, and The Economic Daily - still rely on government funds. China Central Television depends mainly on its advertising income, with only a symbolic fraction of its massive budget covered by the government.

To be sure, political information remains rigorously controlled. That puts a premium on harmless recreational, entertainment and sports information. This has resulted, in the short run, in an embrace of low journalistic standards. But many metropolitan newspapers that have thrived on such "infotainment" have seen their circulations fall in recent years. Sooner or later, readers will start to buy newspapers that can truly inform them and give voice to their opinions.

In fact, it is such tabloids, responding to market pressure, that have started to take on responsibility as public watchdogs. On many occasions in recent years, they have been the first to break sensitive news.

Thus, even without any change in the current system of regulation, it's become common to see extensive coverage of disasters, judicial abuses and citizens' pursuit of their statutory rights - along with a questioning of policies from the public perspective. Such progress is slow and full of frustrations, for it reflects the incremental evolution of the system. But it is nonetheless real progress, indicating the growing influence of the mainland media and pointing to China's becoming a country of "free expression".

(Li Datong was removed as editor-in-chief of Bingdian Weekly this year.)

Project Syndicate

Woof

The longer I live here, and the longer I think about it, is control of information such a bad thing?

China is a functioning country. Projects are completed quickly. This is achieved through dictatorship.

Individuals have their own selfish concerns, which have the potential of ruining development if they are given power.

I believe, that the Chinese government cares for the people. It is not a system riddled with corruption. Sometimes, the people in power need to think for the greater good, and so far, for the most part, the majority of Chinese people are benefiting from the one party state.

Imagine if we had the same thing in England - the tube would become barely functional, and we would have a train network that was cheap and efficient. Why don't we have this? Short answer - democracy.

Jessiedog said:
Today's SCMP has a terrific article by Li Datong, arguing (as I do,) that the media in China are enjoying greater and greater freedoms. He states

Woof

free from the state which quickly moves to corporate monopolies

Another group of chinese teachers has come over to our university in northern thailand. Two dozen this time, from kunming, chengdu, and tienjin. Yet again talking to them is most enjoyable. They will talk about anything and are very well informed. They have a real hunger to learn more about their job and life. They love meeting foreigners to get a bigger picture of the world.

They hardly seem the products of an oppressive country.

They tell me the latest generation of chinese aspire towards the american way of life...

oh dear!

Jessiedog said:
Today's SCMP has a terrific article by Li Datong, arguing (as I do,) that the media in China are enjoying greater and greater freedoms. He states that there's an awfully long way to go before there is a "free" press in China (and I agree), but the really interesting point is not in the article itself (although it is a really interesting read - please take the time to read it,) but in who Li Datong is.

Li, was the Editor-in-Chief of the hugely popular Bingdian Weekly until he was recently sacked (essentially forced out by the CCP,) for sailing a wee bit close to the wind. The weekly was shut down by Beijing, but the ensuing public outcry made them rethink and allow the paper to continue publishing (albeit sans its Editor-in-Chief).

I find the article extremely positive and encouraging. Li is positing that despite his sacking, the liberalisation of press freedom in China is a one-way-street and that there's no turning back.

Good news indeed, the Genie is well and truly out of the bottle.

News_li27.IMGb.jpg

Woof
There again, on the other hand......

From today's SCMP (16/08/06)

Wednesday, August 16, 2006

EDITORIAL/LEADER

Spy trial puts Beijing in the dock of public opinion

Sixteen months after he was arrested for allegedly spying for Taiwan, Hong Kong journalist Ching Cheong has finally been put on trial. The development is a relief to his family and friends, not so much because he is likely to be found innocent and released but because they will finally know for how long he will have to stay behind bars. Such is the reality of the mainland's highhanded way of dealing with politically sensitive cases that one can only hope that he will get a light sentence.

Indeed, judging from the way the authorities have handled the case since his arrest in April last year, it is a foregone conclusion that the chief China reporter for the Singapore paper, The Straits Times, will be convicted and sentenced to jail. As with previous spying cases, Beijing has released little information on Ching's alleged crimes. And what it has released - that he had been spying for Taiwan's National Security Bureau by collecting secret political, economic and military information in return for payments of millions of Hong Kong dollars - defies belief.

The charges against Ching are not convincing for two reasons. The mainland has a very narrow view of what constitutes state secrets, from the days when the underground communist party was engaged in a deadly struggle for power. Much of the data that Beijing considers classified information is not regarded as sensitive in jurisdictions where access to information is a sign of good government. Ching's credentials as a patriot dates back to his student days. His close friends will need to see concrete evidence of his alleged crimes to accept that he had done anything to hurt the interests of a motherland he loves so much.

In apprehending Ching and laying those heinous charges against him, Beijing has put itself in the dock in the court of public opinion. So far, what the world has seen is not a pretty sight. Ching has been detained for an inordinately long time and barred from meeting even his family. He has been given access to lawyers, but they have not been given much time to prepare his defence. The court's proceedings are being held behind closed doors, allowing no public monitoring of whether they are fair.

The treatment Ching has received is not unlike that meted out to other journalists trapped by the mainland's treacherous information landmines. They include New York Times researcher Zhao Yan , who was charged with leaking state secrets for allegedly informing the newspaper of the decision by former president Jiang Zemin to step down as chairman of the Central Military Commission. Zhao was tried in June, but a verdict has yet to be handed down.

The world awaits a full account of the cases of Ching and Zhao. The mainland's claim to respect human rights will remain a hollow slogan as long as it keeps arresting journalists on dubious charges and putting them through secret trials.

:( :( :(

Woof

The appeal court has upheld Ching's five year sentence - without having a hearing.

Medical parole is the only chance now - he's already been in jail nearly two years.

:(

Woof

On something of a lighter note - an interview from today's Sunday Morning Post. This old farmer decides to fight corruption by handing out cigarettes - and then has second thoughts in case it encourages young peeps to smoke.

Sunday, November 26, 2006

CHANGING FACES

Farmer smokes out corruption with anti-graft cigarette drive

HE HUIFENG

Last month, 71-year-old Henan farmer Li Zhenting headed to the heart of Zhengzhou several times to deliver an anti-corruption message with a difference - he handed out hundreds of cigarette packs with anti-graft labels. He Huifeng spoke to the committed communist about why he still worries about society.

Q: What's the idea behind the action?

A: I want to raise public awareness about the serious level of corruption in the country.

Bribe-taking among officials has become a major social problem and the Communist Party has to expel thousands of members each year for taking bribes and corruption. We have seen numerous party and government officials found guilty of taking bribes and sentenced to prison or even death.

As an old communist, my heart breaks when I hear this kind of news. Those officials were nurtured by the nation and they should care for the public and be a servant of the people. How can they succumb to greed and take bribes?

Corruption makes people think badly of the Communist Party. I thought I had to find some way to overcome it.

How did you get the cigarette idea?

I got the idea when my colleague gave out cigarettes to people at a meeting.

At first, I wanted to hand out leaflets to people to spread the anti-bribery message, but I thought I might be misunderstood and caught by police for disturbing social order if I handed out leaflets in public. An individual may not be allowed to propagandise his thought.

As a smoker, I thought people would like to have free cigarettes and accept the anti-corruption message.

How did you produce the packaging?

I bought about 1,000 packs of cigarettes and threw away the original packaging. I went to a small advertising company for help repacking the cigarettes and they made a set of light-blue boxes with red slogans "Anti-bribery, anti-corruption, for the people. Tighten supervision and protect the interests of farmers".

The boss of the advertising company was moved by my idea and he made the packages for free.

How did you get the money to do this?

Actually, my four old friends, also communists, and I spent our own savings on this.

Each of us contributed 1,000 yuan and we used all of the money to buy cigarettes. We live far from Zhengzhou and we had to cover the transport costs as well.

Do you think what you did worked?

Yes, it did. We are not rich but we did all we could for the party and the country.

The first morning, I distributed nearly 200 boxes of cigarettes. As I handed out the cigarettes, I told every person, "Have some cigarettes and warn your friends against corruption".

People who took the cigarettes understood and supported our action. They will also spread the idea to their friends.

The important thing is that people know that most communists like me are against taking bribes and care for the people. I hope what we did can repair the reputation of the party.

What difficulties did you face?

At first, we were often told to move on by city management officers. But they let me be after they saw my slogans. I think now the only problem is that we have almost run out of money. Some people wanted to donate money to us. But we insist on not accepting money from others. Our objective and thought is pure and direct. Accepting donations may change our original goal.

We have no money but don't want to accept money from people. That's the difficulty we face. I'm very confused now.

Do you have other similar projects?

No. We have no money now, and some people told us cigarettes are not healthy for the young. I think they are right. So even if we have money in the future, we have to find another way to reach people with the anti-corruption message.

Woof

Christmas and midgets on tricylces

It was rather a surreal trip to work today.....

Yes, you read both the date and the word work correctly.....

I was cycling down the road near the entrance to my house when I saw not 1, not 2, but three midgets on electric tricycles. Two were carrying recyclable material, and the other was transporting people. One off, I thought, as I continued my journey.....

....and the strangeness continued. Considering the fact that Christmas isn't officially recognised as a holiday, the streets were deserted. It appeared that everyone was on, well, holiday....

....I pulled into the small steets that make up the main district near my school. This was when I saw my 4th midget, again carrying passengers. Further down the road, I saw a 5th, then a 6th. It would seem that the local or national government is doing something to recognise midgets on this holiest of days.

It was not until I arrived at work that I truly experienced the miracle of Christmas. My one student (business is not too good at my school) decided herself to honour Christmas, and by doing so, in the true spirit of Christmas, relieved me from a day of teaching.

The story does not end there however. My co-worker, a Cameroonian and Christian, looked down-hearted and depressed at having to work on a day which holds significant importance to him. In the spirit of giving, I have offered to take over his day. I have 10 minutes to sober up before I enter the classroom.

Merry Christmas!

Cool thread indeed folks - pretty much confirms what I thought, that China is the same as everywhere else with it's own unique cultural variants on internationalised stuff, as well as some interesting to hair-raising local customs, and that one thing that needs to be remembered about China is that it should be thought of like the US - one nation of many distinct cultures and identities.

However, it does little to 'counter' my opinion of China as being in a nascent stage of becoming an imperial power in the same mould as the US - use of soft power (companies, markets, culture) coupled with back channel use of hard power, or hard power thru proxies to achieve it's strategic aims of securing basic resources.

What does interest me more however are the posts on Chinese culture - it fascinates me to look at a country that was basically Confuscian for 2500 years, was then wrenched apart by wars and the attempted regeneration based on a Western European's philosophy that had been around (then) for about 100 years, and now to see it in a bizarre and fascinating phase-space - not communist (or even Mao/Stalinist), not a democracy, not a Confucian society (altho as I understand it the legal system is still largely based on confucian principles?) and one that it once again having it's 'business spirit' re-awakened (from the histories I've read the Chinese have long been an industrious, hard working lot) is now undergoing huge economic growth of the kind not seen in Europe since the industrial revolution. So it intrigues me as to how the Chinese see themselves now - what are the bedrocks of the Chinese identity.

More importantly, and especially given the cover ups over bird flu, do any of the China lot think the government will be competent to deal with things like climate and water crises? China occupies a LOT of land, so global warming will start to impact on it more than many other countries - will the govt adopt a 3 Gorges approach and just say 'fuck it' and go all Katrina on people or are there the infrastructure and social controls to deal with the massive environmental problems the country will have to - indeed should be - dealing with at the moment, examples: the drying of the Yangtze and the massive pollution of the Yangtze and other major watercourses, a current problem; the estimates by some geologists that approximately 1/4 of the water table is now contaminated with heavy metals at levels that could be deemed as dangerous to the public.

kyser_soze said:
Cool thread indeed folks - pretty much confirms what I thought, that China is the same as everywhere else with it's own unique cultural variants on internationalised stuff, as well as some interesting to hair-raising local customs, and that one thing that needs to be remembered about China is that it should be thought of like the US - one nation of many distinct cultures and identities.
Aye!

However, it does little to 'counter' my opinion of China as being in a nascent stage of becoming an imperial power in the same mould as the US - use of soft power (companies, markets, culture) coupled with back channel use of hard power, or hard power thru proxies to achieve it's strategic aims of securing basic resources.
It's very difficult to predict whether China's stated goal of "Peaceful Rise", recently softened to "Peaceful Development" so as to avoid the use of any language that might alarm any westerners, is merely rhetoric. At least for the time being, however, and under the current leadership (Hu, Wen, et al), I think we can take China at her word.

Given China's meteoric economic development, the leadership's attention is clearly focussed upon managing the corresponding social problems engendered.

Currently sitting on a trillion US$ cash in the bank and with little qualms about dealing with obnoxious regimes in order to secure energy and raw material supplies, China is very well placed to continue on her current path (with the usual various caveats thrown in about the dangers of uneven economic development, a rising Gini Coefficient, environmental degradation, social disorder, endemic corruption, failing healthcare and welfare/pension services, etc, etc,) and to go from strength to strength without the need for external aggression.

Over the longer term, it's difficult to say, but I see no reason why any gigantic superpower should be any less belligerent than previous claimants to such status have proven to be.

What does interest me more however are the posts on Chinese culture - it fascinates me to look at a country that was basically Confuscian for 2500 years, was then wrenched apart by wars and the attempted regeneration based on a Western European's philosophy that had been around (then) for about 100 years, and now to see it in a bizarre and fascinating phase-space - not communist (or even Mao/Stalinist), not a democracy, not a Confucian society (altho as I understand it the legal system is still largely based on confucian principles?) and one that it once again having it's 'business spirit' re-awakened (from the histories I've read the Chinese have long been an industrious, hard working lot) is now undergoing huge economic growth of the kind not seen in Europe since the industrial revolution. So it intrigues me as to how the Chinese see themselves now - what are the bedrocks of the Chinese identity.
It's an intreguing question that is being addressed both within China and by external commentators.

It's important not to underestimate the importance of the cultural revolution in shaping the modern Chinese psyche. During this decade, nobody went to secondary school or university, a whole generation of children lost their education. Pretty much all existing art, literature and "culture" was destroyed. Traditional bonds of kin and clan were shattered. Traditional values, religious and/or spiritual values, moral values, any fucking values, were virtually obliterated. The country was wracked with poverty, hunger and death. Millions were murdered and tens of millions brutalised.

The Cultural Revolution left China in a national state of shock, stripped of the values built-up over thousands of years. A nation bereft of history. A nation where friends and family could not and did not trust one another. A nation that was starving.

Two years after this utterly disasterous policy of Mao's was formally abandoned in 1976 saw the beginning of China's opening and the instigation and implementation of the Socialist Market Economy.

The only thing that mattered was the modicum of freedom that permitted an individual to earn enough money for food.

Nothing else.

Oh. Except for the ongoing impetous to flee China - ususally to HK, we soaked up about four million hungry migrants between 1937 and 1982.

Now - a single generation later - China is churning out more than 4 million university graduates a year (5 million expected next year) and only creating enough jobs for 2.75 of them (there's a million fresh graduates trying to get jobs as roadsweepers at the moment.

The impetous to make money has grown and grown as the chance to do so has spread from the core beginnings in Shenzhen, up the east coast, to about half of the population today. There are some 300 million "middle class" in China now.

This singleminded worship of the Yuan, unfettered by traditional, moral, religious or spiritual values, is a potent force. Whether it bodes well for China's sustainable development is another question entirely.

More importantly, and especially given the cover ups over bird flu, do any of the China lot think the government will be competent to deal with things like climate and water crises? China occupies a LOT of land, so global warming will start to impact on it more than many other countries - will the govt adopt a 3 Gorges approach and just say 'fuck it' and go all Katrina on people or are there the infrastructure and social controls to deal with the massive environmental problems the country will have to - indeed should be - dealing with at the moment, examples: the drying of the Yangtze and the massive pollution of the Yangtze and other major watercourses, a current problem; the estimates by some geologists that approximately 1/4 of the water table is now contaminated with heavy metals at levels that could be deemed as dangerous to the public.
The leadership is belatedly waking up to the looming environmental crises facing the country.

One of the "benefits" of dictatorship is the ability to "mandate" things quickly and the latest five-year-plan has emphasised sustainable development.

Ten thousand heavily polluting factories have been closed down in Guangdong Province over the last six months (although that leaves hundreds of thousands more ad those worst offenders that were closed will simply move to less developed, interior provinces) and the leadership is getting tougher on a whole range of environmental issues.

Unfortunately, the aforementioned corruption that goes hand-in-hand with the single minded pursuit of weath acts as a severe drag on attempts by the Central leadership to clamp down on nefarious environmental practices.

Running China is an extremely delicate balancing act and the leadership is paranoid about a free media reporting on economic, social, environmental, health-issue and, in particular, corruption problems. There is no doubt that such reporting creates social tensions and fosters social unrest - rightly so. Unfortunately, suppressing the media (again, particularly corruption reports since they piss-off the peasantry and the working and middle classes more than anything else - after all, corruption means less for them,) makes it that much easier for corrupt cadres and business owners to ply their destructive trades.

China remains a spectacular success story - the creation of a middle class of 300 million and the rasing from poverty of a further four hundred million, all within in a single generation, is not to be sniffed at.

As to whether the strains that the rate of development is placing on the environment as well as the psyche of the people can be managed in a sustainable fashion remains to be seen.

There will be many, many slips and falls as China rumbles forward and there's no guarantee that the country won't implode and enter another dark period for a decade or more. The (relatively) good news is that nobody wants this to happen and the vast majority of today's Chinese value stability above all else.

After all, you need stability in order to make money and it is this goal that pervades today's Collective Chinese Conciousness.

I'm an optimist on China. It won't be an easy path and there will be many, very difficult, setbacks, but it's difficult not to stand and wonder at the rate and depth of transformation the country is undergoing. The Genie is out of the bottle and China is headed where she is headed - fast! Managing the transformation is the key - and the most challenging - task.

Woof

Jessiedog said:
I'm an optimist on China. It won't be an easy path and there will be many, very difficult, setbacks, but it's difficult not to stand and wonder at the rate and depth of transformation the country is undergoing. The Genie is out of the bottle and China is headed where she is headed - fast! Managing the transformation is the key - and the most challenging - task.

Woof

Look forward to environmental destruction.

Back
Top Bottom