Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Unbelievable BBC interview with man pulled from wheelchair by cops.

While what happened is wrong, I am a bit baffled about the massive concern on the issue (is it tied in with the student demo euphoria?) and of course Jody who is articulate, intelligent and spunky enough to speak for himself, one could argue he doesn't need 'abled bodied people to give sympathy. Imo, the real outrage is the hundreds, yes hundreds of disabled people who with hate crimes are physically attacked, often very violently every year, the BBC did a programme on it with Lady Di's friend Rosa Monckton, it was heartbreaking, we don't hear much about them....

Unless they are attacked by the police and/or caught on camera, then it's not as newsworthy.

Ron, no 104. Some good points there.

On the BBC blog. I'd have written more, on my way to work, and it's the only comment on there that raises issues not previously discussed on here on amongst the comments on the BBC site.

Fantastic interview. He didn't concede an inch, threw stupid questions right back in the interviewer's face and was able to say all the things he wanted to say, by the looks of it.

Well done Jody McIntyre. :)

New Statesman piece on McIntyre and disability.

...those claiming sickness benefits or Employment and Support Allowance will be obliged to take another round of punishing tests that are acknowledged to be specifically designed to prevent hundreds of thousands of benefit recipients from receiving any more money. "Currently, nearly a third of all disabled people live below the official poverty line, with a quarter of families with disabled children unable to afford heating," said Eleanor, a spokesperson for Disabled People Against Cuts (DPAC), who protested in central London today about what the group sees as a direct assault on disability rights in the UK. "A tenth of all disabled women have incomes under £31 per week," she said "And yet, the government intends to slash the number of claimants on disability living allowance by 20 per cent, although the fraud rate is estimated to be a mere 0.5 per cent."

and...

Six months ago, when I was helping my disabled partner, who has severe mobility issues and chronic pain, prepare to claim DLA, we realised that he would not be considered sufficiently disabled unless he was prepared to actually demonstrate to a partial outside observer that he could not walk 30 steps without falling on his face.

its all coming out now about the brutality of the new welfare regime as created by N/L and now built upon by the Con dems, but maybe it is too late

btw, Purnell is rebranding himself as a cultural critic, media talking head, etc, etc as well as working for Demos, sooner or later, Urbanites will be at an event he is attending too, what will they say if anything?

While what happened is wrong, I am a bit baffled about the massive concern on the issue (is it tied in with the student demo euphoria?) and of course Jody who is articulate, intelligent and spunky enough to speak for himself, one could argue he doesn't need 'abled bodied' people to give sympathy. Imo, the real outrage is the hundreds, yes hundreds of disabled people who with hate crimes are physically attacked, often very violently every year, the BBC did a programme on it with Lady Di's friend Rosa Monckton, it was heartbreaking, we don't hear much about them....

It occurs to me that part of the support that people give to JM is because they acknowledge he is someone who speaks out against 'hundreds of disabled people who with hate crimes are physically attacked, often very violently every year' and their marginalisation in other ways, as well as other issues. Are you suggesting that people who are now supporting JM are not aware of or support disabled people in thought or in action unless they are on the national news? Don't agree with his stance on other issues?

About JM, did you see this vid posted in the student protests thread? I think that even if some people were complacent before his current media status is at least bringing about important discussion.

http://www.urban75.net/vbulletin/th...-Thurs-9th?p=11330211&viewfull=1#post11330211

Have you read his blog?

Did you watch any of his recent interviews?

While what happened is wrong, I am a bit baffled about the massive concern on the issue (is it tied in with the student demo euphoria?) and of course Jody who is articulate, intelligent and spunky enough to speak for himself, one could argue he doesn't need 'abled bodied' people to give sympathy. Imo, the real outrage is the hundreds, yes hundreds of disabled people who with hate crimes are physically attacked, often very violently every year, the BBC did a programme on it with Lady Di's friend Rosa Monckton, it was heartbreaking, we don't hear much about them....

I saw that. Shocking documentary. The IT techy guy who couldn't get a break despite being highly skilled and who was regularly intimidated for cash by thug losers who in a fair world wouldn't be fit to lick his boots. The young woman abused by teenagers. The family who suffered bricks through their windows. Truly awful stuff.

But this is not the point. I support Jody Mcintyre, not because he is disabled but because he is one of us. He is my comrade. He is a demonstrator and a revolutionary who has suffered police brutality for the crime of exercising his democratic rights. He is every demonstrator who was pushed and beaten and kettled for hours by the pigs. He is every demonstrator with a busted head or who has suffered the thousand tiny indignities that dealing with the police entails. His case is a clear and blatant example of what every demonstrator knows the police do. I hope he takes them to the fucking cleaners.

It's not often I am left gobsmacked by the media, but that interview is extraordinary. :eek: :(

Not sure-found it on other site. I think this was the first attack Jody talked of. Remember these are nothing but a series of photos...we have no idea what went on or what was said. However the site/photos seem to exist to take the sting out of the video on youtube.

It looks like it was set up in five minutes and it's peculiar how the only photos this 'professional photographer' has up there are of the December 9th demo and Jody McIntyre. All apparently taken from behind police lines as well.

All a bit tin foil hat stuff...my thinking is that they are only pictures showing several snapshots...we have no idea of the actual exchanges verbally between the police and McIntyre. Besides which that was then and the wheelchair incident was another period of time...the photos mean fuck all except in the eye of the beholder.

some interesting posts (& the apparent result of some digging) on CIF

suggesting he's either
Welcome2TheRealWorld on coment is free said:
#1 Unknown & untraceable "professional" photographer from "Kent" who provides snaps on protests - only mentions online some "Brother" linkage to Orange Order & Demotix protest snaps
#2 Corporate Stooge I linked to
#3 MI5 Trolling:
http://www.guardian.co.uk/discussion/comment-permalink/8810617
http://www.guardian.co.uk/discussion/comment-permalink/8810689
http://www.guardian.co.uk/discussion/comment-permalink/8810778
http://www.guardian.co.uk/discussion/comment-permalink/8810791

& http://www.guardian.co.uk/discussion/comment-permalink/8811330
http://www.guardian.co.uk/discussion/comment-permalink/8812088
Welcome2TheRealWorld on cif said:
No-one as a professional photographer has this little online impact, for the ignorant out there.

There' actually at least 3 professional photographers operating out of london and the south-east under this name - two look very professional of some national/international repute - and this amateur job. The whois for the site traces back to a residential property in canterbury ( judging by google satellite anyway - no street view)) and who appears to have been following students or 'left-wingers' for some months now. This is his linkedin profile if there's any members. Also a property developer with the same name in the dame town- might be total co-incidence.

My god, just watched this video. Absolutely piss poor from the BBC man, brilliant stuff from McIntyre.

I'm gonna get out my pointiest complaint-writing pen now I think...

I just heard this on the radio news. It seems that the man in the wheelchair was accidentally hit with a truncheon. Oh yes? :hmm:

Back
Top Bottom