Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Ukraine: Unsubstantiated rumours and speculation

Translation for non-Russian speakers:
First page: (12th March at 00:23)
State Department: "Sanctions won't ease until Putin changes course in Ukraine"

Putin, don't change course in Ukraine, stop groveling to these scoundrels. Only forward! #WeDontLeaveOurPeopleBehind

Second page: (Today at 17:04)
Guys, please spread this information. My son: Egor Dmitrievich Shkrebets, was called up for urgent military service from the city of Yalta on July 2, 2021. He was assigned to the city of Sevastopol and after completing his soldier's training he entered service on the flagship of the Black Sea Fleet, the missile cruiser "Moskva". He was assigned the post of the ship's cook supply service. On the night of April 13 to April 14, a tragedy occurred, the truth about which we have yet to find out, the official report of the Ministry of Defense states that a fire broke out on the ship and the ammunition detonated. It was reported that the entire crew had been evacuated. This is a lie! A blatant and cynical lies! My son (a conscript, as I was informed by the direct commanders of the cruiser "Moskva",) is not among the dead and wounded and is included in the list of missing people. A conscript who was not supposed to take part in military operations is listed as missing. Guys, how did he then go missing on the high seas?!!! After my attempts to clarify the data on the incident, the cruiser commander and his deputy stopped communicating with me. I asked them directly, why they, the officers, are alive, but my son, a conscript soldier, is dead?

:(

Yes, there are blurred Chinese subtitles behind the English ones. Almost all Chinese tv has Chinese subtitles (more to improve literacy and language standardisation than out of cooncern for the deaf I believe). But the English translation seems correct.
Hard-coding subs because of language standardisation sounds about right, probably because China has so many different languages and dialects, whereas putonghua (Mandarin Chinese) is the official language.

Aren't the characters the same, even if they're spoken differently in different regions? That's my very vague recollection.

(I worked for the Chinese state media's English language services in Beijing, CCTV-9 (and CRI), and so our output wasn't hard-coded with subtitles.)

This guy runs a gaming channel but has also stated he’s a historian of Eastern European politics. This video is long but engaging (it’s a Power Point presentation basically). He takes his analysis broad but makes some good points about the cost cost of the war and Russia’s subsequent logistical limitations.

Couple of interesting things on my twatter feed tonight:
Kamil Galeev arguing that it is a war of memes: Russian view of Ukraine as inferior Russians who need rescuing from thraldom to become regular Russians again, and Ukrainian resistance taking Russia by surprise. With a side-order of Brodsky's nationalistic anti-Ukraine rhetoric. :eek:

and Samuel Ramani's summary of Kremlin advisor Sergei Karaganov's two latest interviews:

Thanks for posting, really interesting. I think I've seen something about that 'poem' before, that stuff about how when Ukrainians die they'll be thinking of lines from Pushkin rather than Shevchenko because they're secretly Russian:eek:

From my post or elsewhere? He certainly has the face of someone taking steroids.
No not from your post. It was one of those 'rumours' that was around on social media shortly after the 'suffering from mental illness' period.

True but not many are diagnosed with Parkinson's, terminal cancer and acute mental health issues in the space of two months
Ok read the thread title.
To me it looks like a neurological contition, I'll retract the diagnosis lol, just an observation.
Kind of relevent to current events if he has though.

nah - hes flicking polonium darts from his jacket sleeve into his hand. or maybe the remote control for the trap door leading to the shark pool.

Ok read the thread title.
To me it looks like a neurological contition, I'll retract the diagnosis lol, just an observation.
Kind of relevent to current events if he has though.
Not having a go at your post in particular, just saying that there have been a number of diagnoses of his health over the last couple of months.

True but not many are diagnosed with Parkinson's, terminal cancer and acute mental health issues in the space of two months
Perfectly possible for him to have Parkinsons and cancer, don't know where 'terminal', 'within two months' or 'acute mental health issues' came from though. The persistent specific rumour is thyroid cancer which is very treatable.

Back
Top Bottom