Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Ukip - why are they gaining support?

Quite right, UKIP should certainly take HnH's advice and ensure that their leaflets are only delivered by certified British workers in future...

Yes it can be read that way and for that reason could have been framed much better however I am pretty sure it's about pointing out hypocrasy.

My facepalm was for both reasons. I could have explained that but didn't.

Yes it can be read that way and for that reason could have been framed much better however I am pretty sure it's about pointing out hypocrasy.

My facepalm was for both reasons. I could have explained that but didn't.

HnH's intention may be to point out hypocrisy, but by using slogans like "British Jobs for British Workers" uncritically, they simply give tacit support to such ideas, rather than do anything to challenge them.

And in fact HnH are also being hypocritical by only attacking UKIP on this issue while ignoring racist policies and statements from other parties over the years which have actually made these ideas part of the mainstream.

HnH's intention may be to point out hypocrisy, but by using slogans like "British Jobs for British Workers" uncritically, they simply give tacit support to such ideas, rather than do anything to challenge them.

And in fact HnH are also being hypocritical by only attacking UKIP on this issue while ignoring racist policies and statements from other parties over the years which have actually made these ideas part of the mainstream.

Fair points which I agree with, the first one in my post above, the 2nd now you have made it. :)

As a counter to the simplistic idea that UKIP can be dismissed or demonised as racist, you might be interested to read this election communication from one of their candidates in Enfield

images

Not sure how we might counter this, but simply shouting racist isn't likely to do it.

ETA sorry, this is unreadable. Here's some of what it says
Make our immigration system fairer for our Commonwealth friends. This is your opportunity to join UKIP, vote us out of the failing EU, and celebrate and defend with us our Commonwealth.

I read this as an appeal for the votes of for those with family ties in parts of the Commonwealth, eg the Caribbean or Indian sub-continent. How successful it's likely to be is another matter.

Last edited:
I missed the UKIP canvassers... I was out the day they called. :(
Although the Tories called and offered me a leaflet.... I refused to take it.... they walked away.
No conflict at the doorstep for me this year. :(

As a counter to the simplistic idea that UKIP can be dismissed or demonised as racist, you might be interested to read this election communication from one of their candidates in Enfield

images

Not sure how we might counter this, but simply shouting racist isn't likely to do it.

I read this as an appeal for the votes of for those with family ties in parts of the Commonwealth, eg the Caribbean or Indian sub-continent. How successful it's likely to be is another matter.

This Daily Mail story about how there will be a higher ethnic minority make up of Britain in 2050 has attracted a lot of UKIP comment. Apparently we should all vote for a party that wants to restrict mainly white European immigration but is more relaxed than other parties about increasing Commonwealth immigration.
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...tml?login#readerCommentsCommand-message-field

This pro Commonwealth post-colonial patricianism is well publicised by UKIP but it is still lost on its core supporters and the party knows it. Thats because its a xenophobic dog whistle party that is a rallying point for the fearful, bigoted and reactionary and they don't even believe its true.

As far as they're concerned Farage's reasonable sounding "sensible migration" line is just froth for the politically correct Metropolitan liberals that apparantly run our media. And they are absolutely right about it just being a line because the rank and file know better than anyone who UKIP really are and how they think.

This Daily Mail story about how there will be a higher ethnic minority make up of Britain in 2050 has attracted a lot of UKIP comment. Apparently we should all vote for a party that wants to restrict mainly white European immigration but is more relaxed than other parties about increasing Commonwealth immigration.
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...tml?login#readerCommentsCommand-message-field

This pro Commonwealth post-colonial patricianism is well publicised by UKIP but it is still lost on its core supporters and the party knows it. Thats because its a xenophobic dog whistle party that is a rallying point for the fearful, bigoted and reactionary and they don't even believe its true.

As far as they're concerned Farage's reasonable sounding "sensible migration" line is just froth for the politically correct Metropolitan liberals that apparantly run our media. And they are absolutely right about it just being a line because the rank and file know better than anyone who UKIP really are and how they think.

How do you know that a lot of those comments are from UKIP supporters? Are you suggesting that no one but a UKIP supporter could hold such opinions?

Are you saying that UKIP are unique in using dog whistle statements to appeal to the fearful, and even the "xenophobic, bigoted and reactionary"?

And given that the "Commonwealth immigrant" vote is likely to grow significantly, isn't it good politics for UKIP to seek to capture at least some of it?

http://www.birminghampost.co.uk/whats-on/arts-culture-news/bill-drummond-birmingham-ukip-poster-7084059[URL='http://www.birminghampost.co.uk/whats-on/arts-culture-news/bill-drummond-birmingham-ukip-poster-7084059[/QUOTE'][/QUOTE[/URL]]

More than 10 years ago I made up a brand of paint. It was called Drummond’s International Grey. I had 1,000, one litre tins of it made. I was not planning on going into business to compete with Dulux or Crown.

Bill is a genius, though wish he hadn't burnt the million quid.

images

Its basically saying if you vote for us we will let your friends and family into the country rather than the East Europeans, its blatant, crass and borderline racist

Its basically saying if you vote for us we will let your friends and family into the country rather than the East Europeans, its blatant, crass and borderline racist

I agree about the message it's putting across.

Do you think it's unique, or that UKIP is unique, in its blatentcy(?), crassness and/or borderline racism?

So I hear that (white) people at the anti-EDL protest at Westminster heckled UKIP's mixed race Steven Wolfe as a 'fake'. Is some of the hysteria around UKIP causing some of the more extreme anti-UKIP people to become a bit racist?

So I hear that (white) people at the anti-EDL protest at Westminster heckled UKIP's mixed race Steven Wolfe as a 'fake'. Is some of the hysteria around UKIP causing some of the more extreme UKIP people to become a bit racist?

I don't know but targetting a particular UKIP candidate on the grounds of his race, if that's what happened, is pretty clearly a racist thing to do.

I think a lot of them were already racist, and in many cases embedded in the Tory party (activists/candidates rather than voters).

Do you think it's unique, or that UKIP is unique, in its blatentcy(?), crassness and/or borderline racism?

The mainstream parties all openly support racist policies like indefinite detention of migrants and fast-track deportations. UKIP might have cornered the market in unreconstructed 1950's racism but they're certainly not the only racist party.

I don't know but targetting a particular UKIP candidate on the grounds of his race, if that's what happened, is pretty clearly a racist thing to do.

Corroboration here:

http://www.express.co.uk/news/uk/47...-black-and-ethnic-minority-members-fight-back

A small number of hecklers from an anti-Ukip demonstration outside the hall managed to infiltrate the meeting, but were swiftly ejected by stewards.

Mr Woolfe appeared on the brink of tears as he responded to one protestor's cry of 'faker'.

His voice cracking with emotion, he referenced his own childhood growing up in Manchester and said: "A five-year-old child having to go home and tell his mum he was called a n***** all day at school - that's not a fake."

Who's winning the debate around race here and who looks like a wingnut? Stupid, stupid, stupid.

The mainstream parties all openly support racist policies like indefinite detention of migrants and fast-track deportations. UKIP might have cornered the market in unreconstructed 1950's racism but they're certainly not the only racist party.

Agreed, so I'm not sure why they are frequently attacked by anti-racists as if they were the only racist party.

(I'm not even convinced that they have cornered the market in unreconstructed 1950's racism, TBH)

Who's winning the debate around race here and who looks like a wingnut? Stupid, stupid, stupid.

They've not only acted like cunts, they've played right into Farage's hands. To the point where I wouldn't be surprised to learn that some UKIP PR person staged the whole thing.

They've not only acted like cunts, they've played right into Farage's hands. To the point where I wouldn't be surprised to learn that some UKIP PR person staged the whole thing.

Why would UKIP have to stage any of this? It's not atypical of the usual behaviour of these people.

You've got to play the ball not the man. Farage must be delighted with these personal attacks because then he can wheel out all his minority chums and say, 'look, I'm not racist'. If people took him to task on the actual content of his policies, and demonstrated that they are fundamentally racist, then that cannot so easily be countered by simply shaking hands with a few black people.

The key thing in my opinion is to discredit the idea of a difference between being 'anti-immigration' and being racist. This would not only undermine UKIP but any other party who tries to score points by claiming to be 'tough on immigration'. Sadly it's not something we can achieve by throwing eggs or waving signs.

Back
Top Bottom