Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

TV series recommendations general (excluding Netflix/ Amazon)

What's it about?
Broadly, it's about human cloning, beyond that i would recommend starting to watch it knowing as little as possible.

I had watched the original Orphan Black but had forgotten most of it - and it didn't really make a difference to my enjoyment or understanding. There's a few characters in common and I just looked them up on Wikipedia to remind myself who they were.

I thought the original Orphan Black was a bit of a slog to get through and I did give up at one point, but came back to it. I thought it became a bit too much like the Tatiana Maslany show for my liking, and I'm not sure she carried it all off as well as the critics claimed. The new show is much better, in my opinion.

What's it about?
Orphan Black

The series begins with Sarah Manning, a con artist of British origin residing in Toronto, witnessing the suicide of a woman, Beth Childs, who appears to be her doppelgänger. Sarah assumes Beth's identity and occupation (as a police detective) after Beth's death.

During the first season, in episode 3, Sarah discovers that she is a clone, that she has many "sister" clones spread throughout North America and Europe that are all part of an illegal human cloning experiment, and that someone is plotting to kill them and her.

Orphan Black Echoes

Taking place in 2052, thirty-seven years since the end of the original series, Echoes follows the life of the now adult Kira and her wife, as they try to help an amnesiac woman.

Krysten Ritter plays the lead, Lucy. Keeley Hawes plays an adult Kira (who was a child in Orphan Black). Similar-ish premise, albeit with a twist.

(Cliff Notes from Wikipedia.)

No idea how to get it in the UK, though I think Series 1 and 2 were on Prime. Hacks series 3.

I honestly thought S2 ended in a way that it was done and the story was finished. But no, they pulled it out of a hat and despite misgivings I love it. I'd happily watch the two main characters riff off each other for a half hour straight alone. The other actors just add to it. Jean Smart deserves those Emmys. She's a fucking monster, and it's wonderful.

Welcome to Utmark/Velkommen til Utmark
We've been hitting the scandi/nordic noir for months so this lighter accidental find was welcome relief. I will summarise it as Fargo crossed with League of Gentlemen, set in very-rural Norway. I cannot recommend it highly enough. Torrented so I'm not sure where else you can watch it but it's an HBO thing.

Try "Succession" for intense family drama, "The Bear" for a gripping kitchen story, and "Ted Lasso" for feel-good comedy. All are available on platforms like HBO and Apple TV+

Sky would want two lots of money off you for sports and entertainment though, the robbing fuckers!
Just to circle back to this, is there no way round this? Teenager wants Sky Sports for football, I would like TV series. But if it's going to cost me a bomb, we'll just get sports.

Just to circle back to this, is there no way round this? Teenager wants Sky Sports for football, I would like TV series. But if it's going to cost me a bomb, we'll just get sports.
Have you looked at sky glass the subscription includes Netflix and sky entertainment you could add sports. If you’ve got Netflix already they transfer the subs and take it off the bill.
You have to get a new TV (included in the monthly fee) so probably only worth it if you need one. You can get BB through sky or keep your own if it’s cable/fibre. I kept my own.

Have you looked at sky glass the subscription includes Netflix and sky entertainment you could add sports. If you’ve got Netflix already they transfer the subs and take it off the bill.
You have to get a new TV (included in the monthly fee) so probably only worth it if you need one. You can get BB through sky or keep your own if it’s cable/fibre. I kept my own.

I don't need a new TV and Sky Sports is an additional £20 per month.
Is there no way to do this without getting fully ripped off?

Douglas is Cancelled - on ITVX

"TV news legend Douglas Bellowes faces a career crisis when he's overheard making a sexist joke at a wedding."

Starring Hugh Bonneville as Douglas Bellowes, who comes across as a bit hapless and out of his depth, who seemingly represents a generation of men who's a bit bewildered by the societal changes whereby the kind of risque humour that was once acceptable is no longer, and there's a sense of panicked fear and incredulity about the possible repercussions as the crisis builds.

Karen Gillan is brilliant as his co-presenter Madeline, who's quite mercurial, a simultaneously forceful and determined yet vulnerable character. Alex Kingston is also good as Douglas' wife as as Ben Miles as Toby.

It starts off as more kind of sitcom, but becomes darker as it goes along.

KAOS on netflix- crazy take on Greek Mythology...camp, kitch, violent proper crackers, love it !
That’s on Netflix:
Enjoying it so far!

Orphan Black

The series begins with Sarah Manning, a con artist of British origin residing in Toronto, witnessing the suicide of a woman, Beth Childs, who appears to be her doppelgänger. Sarah assumes Beth's identity and occupation (as a police detective) after Beth's death.

During the first season, in episode 3, Sarah discovers that she is a clone, that she has many "sister" clones spread throughout North America and Europe that are all part of an illegal human cloning experiment, and that someone is plotting to kill them and her.

Orphan Black Echoes

Taking place in 2052, thirty-seven years since the end of the original series, Echoes follows the life of the now adult Kira and her wife, as they try to help an amnesiac woman.

Krysten Ritter plays the lead, Lucy. Keeley Hawes plays an adult Kira (who was a child in Orphan Black). Similar-ish premise, albeit with a twist.

(Cliff Notes from Wikipedia.)

And it's gone

Douglas is Cancelled - on ITVX

"TV news legend Douglas Bellowes faces a career crisis when he's overheard making a sexist joke at a wedding."

Starring Hugh Bonneville as Douglas Bellowes, who comes across as a bit hapless and out of his depth, who seemingly represents a generation of men who's a bit bewildered by the societal changes whereby the kind of risque humour that was once acceptable is no longer, and there's a sense of panicked fear and incredulity about the possible repercussions as the crisis builds.

Karen Gillan is brilliant as his co-presenter Madeline, who's quite mercurial, a simultaneously forceful and determined yet vulnerable character. Alex Kingston is also good as Douglas' wife as as Ben Miles as Toby.

It starts off as more kind of sitcom, but becomes darker as it goes along.
This was everything that drama should be — tightly written, well acted, about something meaningful and multi-layered. And the tone is perfect — light-hearted back and forth at the beginning that mirrors the works of the characters, before a descent into darkness that is echoed in the tone of the script. Best thing I’ve seen come out of British TV in years.

Back
Top Bottom