Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

TV series recommendations general (excluding Netflix/ Amazon)

I don't normally like the various Gundam anime series. It's all a bit samey.
But I do really like The Witch from Mercury. I imagine if you already like Gundam stuff it's completely amazing.
Sourced from nyaa.si - for all your anime needs

Second season of the horror/ supernatural thriller From has dropped all at once in Sky/ NiwTV.

Hard recommend for Significant Other on ITVX. Katherine Parkinson is excellent (Jen from IT Crowd), and a good showing also from Youssef Kerkour (Sami from Home).

The two characters meet when he’s trying to hill himself and she interrupts it because she’s having a heart attack. That kind of sums up the tone, frankly.

It’s bleak as fuck but if you like dark comedy, it’s very very funny. It’s also just touching enough to work. I think there are many people on urban who would like it.

Edit: it peters out a bit in the last few episodes, but still worth a watch.

Last edited:
I’ve noticed a rebooted Never Mind The Buzzcocks has appeared on Now TV. I went off the original cos it got crueller and crueller, but it’s got 3 very funny people in it, so I’m tempted.
Anyone else seen it yet?

I’ve noticed a rebooted Never Mind The Buzzcocks has appeared on Now TV. I went off the original cos it got crueller and crueller, but it’s got 3 very funny people in it, so I’m tempted.
Anyone else seen it yet?
It’s okay. Exactly the same format, it’s much less nasty (Preston was entirely in the right!), but just not that exciting or funny. Better than watching an episode of Family Guy for the third time.

I'm finding Love & Death (ITV on a weekly schedule or the whole lot is on ITVX for streaming) pretty decent - good production values, good cast, attention to period detail (late '70s, early '80s).
As with a lot of these true crime dramatisations it's overly-long at 7 episodes (I'm currently on ep 4 and was surprised to see how many are left!), I am sure they could tell the story well enough and a bit more concisely in 3 or 4 episodes, but everything these days seems to be drawn out to fuck!

Anyway I'd recommend it to fans of the true crime drama genre for the positives stated above.

Last edited:
Just realised that 12 Monkeys (Series) is currently on ITVX.

I loved the film, never seen the series.
Going to binge watch it soon.

Love and Death on ITVX is very good. About a real-life shocking murder in Bible Belt America in circa 1980. Bizarrely, another drama series was apparently made of the same thing a year before, and this isn’t that one. Truly excellent cast led by Elisabeth Olsen, who is flawless in this.

I watched the first episode of Atlanta last night and belly laughed at least half a dozen times. Dunno why it’s taken so long for me to get round to it. It’s ace!
Atlanta is excellent. Need to see the third and fourth series as they're always on pay channels.

Just starting the miniseries Archie: the man who became Cary Grant which is on ITVX (no idea when it’s broadcast)

4 episodes with Jason Isaacs in the title role

Just starting the miniseries Archie: the man who became Cary Grant which is on ITVX (no idea when it’s broadcast)

4 episodes with Jason Isaacs in the title role
Enjoying the first episode. Grant is an actor I’ve loved in every film I’ve seen him in, but of whose life story I know nothing about. Interesting so far.

Pig is on more 4.
I put it on for casual viewing, but it's great!
Sadly my tv went doolally during the third act, so I still have a bit to watch, but so far I highly recommend it.

Based on a True Story. A (fictional) crime comedy series about a couple struggling financially who try to recruit a serial killer to do an anonymous crime podcast.
Produced by the team behind The Boys and starring Kaley Cuoco.

Whereas not excellent it is certainly very watchable and entertaining. Short and fast paced episodes, and mini cliffhangers at the end of each episode that reel you into the next one. 7/10

Definitely not for young ones though- a lot sex, violence, and very explicit language.

I had no idea they were doing another season, but S2 of Julia, the excellent show about Julia Child, has just dropped on NowTV/ Sky. First episode as enjoyable as the preceding season thanks chiefly to the excellent Sarah Lancashire.

Calling all weird cult exposé fans!

Love Has Won: the Cult of Mother God

3 part HBO doc available on Sky.

A shocking story that ends rather differently from how these things normally go.

I wont say too much because I'd spoil it if you're going to watch but I was left feeling even more angry than usual by the lunacy of spiritual types and fucking alternative fucking medicine.

Rewatching 'Abandoned' which is now on YouTube. Presented by Canadian skateboarder Rick McCrank, it's a look around abandoned shopping malls, schools, industrial sites etc in North America.

Back
Top Bottom