Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

TV series recommendations general (excluding Netflix/ Amazon)

Watched a relatively early one the other day where they tried to stage a radio play. I hadn't laughed so much in months.
watched whatever Bad Boy & Dirty Girl is actually called recently, magnificently hilarious.

Episodes 6 & 7 of series 3. The latter is actually called The Adventures of BB &DG, google tells me.

Mayor of Kingstown- Very bleak but gripping tale about the McLusky family who act as 'brokers' between citizens of Kingstown and the prison industry that dominates Kingstown. Lots of awful people doing awful things to other people, bent police, bent prison officers, all seemingly trapped in the area and their cycles of behaviour and tbh the lead character isn't that likeable . However it has a bit of pace, the stories are interesting and after four episodes I think I'll stay with it.

Mayor of Kingstown- Very bleak but gripping tale about the McLusky family who act as 'brokers' between citizens of Kingstown and the prison industry that dominates Kingstown. Lots of awful people doing awful things to other people, bent police, bent prison officers, all seemingly trapped in the area and their cycles of behaviour and tbh the lead character isn't that likeable . However it has a bit of pace, the stories are interesting and after four episodes I think I'll stay with it.
I'm watching it. Not bad.

Since I wrote that, we've made it all the way to season 7. And the show is visibly running out of ideas, with four seasons to go. I never saw the fabled "Daphne's brothers" episode the first time around, but I won't be surprised if it lives up to billing as an exercise in cringe.
Not sure I'd say it was underrated:

'Frasier was critically acclaimed, with the series and the cast winning thirty-seven Primetime Emmy Awards, a record at the time for a scripted series.[3] It also won the Primetime Emmy Award for Outstanding Comedy Series for five consecutive years.[4]'

It does run out of ideas and really should've left the Niles/Daphne thing unrequited.

And yes, the brothers stuff is terrible. :D

Rabbit Hole (Paramount+) is a spy thriller starring Kiefer Sutherland. Most of the first episode felt rather underwhelming considering the reviews, but then it got really good. And then episodes 2 & 3 turned out to be really, really bloody good. Recommended.

Reactions: MBV
Rabbit Hole (Paramount+) is a spy thriller starring Kiefer Sutherland. Most of the first episode felt rather underwhelming considering the reviews, but then it got really good. And then episodes 2 & 3 turned out to be really, really bloody good. Recommended.
Does it get more action-y or is it mostly stock markets or corporate espionage or whateverthefuck they're currently boring on about?

I recommend a film called Hellbender (not to be confused with Hellbenders) on Shudder. A small indie horror film that doesn't take itself too seriously, made by the Adams family, a couple and their two daughters who wrote it, directed it, wrote the music for it and starred in it. It's on Shudder.

John Adams and Toby Poser are married, and Lulu and Zelda are their children.[1] Inspired by the musical project H6LLB6ND6R they had formed two years earlier, the family devised a film exploring parenting, witchcraft and matriarchy.[2][3] The filmmaking family shot the film in their home in Catskill, New York[3] during COVID-19 pandemic lockdowns, taking turns as the film crew.[1] Many scenes and dialogue in the film were improvised.

Does it get more action-y or is it mostly stock markets or corporate espionage or whateverthefuck they're currently boring on about?
That’s what I was trying to hint at when I said the first episode was a bore. From episode 2 onearit has been almost all action, thrills, and brilliant twists.

That’s what I was trying to hint at when I said the first episode was a bore. From episode 2 onearit has been almost all action, thrills, and brilliant twists.
Cheers, ended up giving up before then anyway because the lack of subtitles makes it too much effort for me

Party Down. A sitcom about a group of would-be actors working as caterers in LA, whilst hoping to get their big acting break.

Pretty good, funny and well written comedy, with a solid cast. First two seasons came out in 2009-10, and there’s a brand new S3 that has just been made. Very well received by critics and audiences alike, but somehow I hadn’t even heard of it before. On Lionsgate+, which is an Amazon Prime add-on subscription.

Mrs Davis , its on Peacock. It's written by Damon Lindelof who co-wrote Lost and later Watchman and on the basis of the first episode I watched its one the most brilliantly bizarre plots I've come across.

Briefly, an advanced AI thing known as Mrs. Davis has eradicated war and famine and is seen as a force for good. World leaders seek its advice and prime ministers and even the pope seek out its advice and it has god like status with millions of followers. Apart from one person, a nun called Simone who holds Mrs Davis responsible for the death of her father. Mrs Davis however wants to recruit Simone to carry out a task. If she completes the task Mrs Davies promises to shut itself down for good. The mission is to find and destroy The Holy Grail.

Now I admit I had had a few beers and was halfway through a bottle of red when I decided to watch the premiere but it was cracking fun. I'll have to rewatch it to make sure it was as good as I thought.

Where's episode six? Is there some kind of mid-series break?
it's only shown over there tonight, isnt it? I always, uhh, 'get' it on monday morning.

Ohh, now I check, it seems they are having the week off. Bastards. At least Succession is still being shown.

it's only shown over there tonight, isnt it? I always, uhh, 'get' it on monday morning.

Ohh, now I check, it seems they are having the week off. Bastards. At least Succession is still being shown.
It streams on Friday night. Only a week, eh? A mild annoyance.

Catching up on Line of Duty here.

ARNOTT: urgh, DI Fleming's hogging the police database again.

FLEMING: ha ha suck it up loser

HASTINGS: Jesus, Mary and Joseph and the wee donkey, if the pair of ye don't quit it this instant I will turn this squad car around and there will be no bent coppers for anyone.

Back
Top Bottom