Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

TV series recommendations general (excluding Netflix/ Amazon)

It wasn’t just about one rouge cop though. It was about the environment that produced him and other cops like him - the training they received, the targets they were set, their brutalisation and lack of accountability to citizens. It was about deeply entrenched social and political structures, not a few bad apples. Why does the civil rights lawyer from the DOJ quit do you think? Because she’s seen these problems of police brutality occur again and again and again and feels there’s nothing she can do within the system to change them.

…and then they neatly tie up the series by rolling out the bad apple trope.

It wasn’t just about one rouge cop though. It was about the environment that produced him and other cops like him - the training they received, the targets they were set, their brutalisation and lack of accountability to citizens. It was about deeply entrenched social and political structures, not a few bad apples. Why does the civil rights lawyer from the DOJ quit do you think? Because she’s seen these problems of police brutality occur again and again and again and feels there’s nothing she can do within the system to change them.
It even showed the Black Democratic members were corrupt as hell.

Yes White Lotus 2 is excellent.
3 episodes in and I love it. Thanks for persuading me!

Four episodes in and probably the best thing I've seen on TV since White Lotus season 1! Personally I prefer it to Succession - which is obviously very good, but also a pretty depressing watch. The White Lotus also has really fucked up, privileged characters, but there's also some humanity there too.

Ooooh White Lotus ep5!

I knew all could not be quite what it seemed. I mean, it's that kind of show.

This is superb stuff. I think I might like it even more than the first one.

Pennyworth S3 is out. Feels a bit of the same so far, but then I rather liked the first two seasons, so a bit more of the same is not a bad thing in this case.

Hurrah. I'm in Japan and Netflix has a whole load of different stuff. It's like having a VPN. . . probably not that exciting actually.

I see 'The Bear' (Disney+) got best TV show of the year in the Guardian today. Its critical acclaim is near universal. I watched it and liked it - it's well filmed, well acted, at times touching and so on. But it didn't really grab me as a drama. Nothing like the movie Boiling Point for example.

Reactions: Chz
I see 'The Bear' (Disney+) got best TV show of the year in the Guardian today. Its critical acclaim is near universal. I watched it and liked it - it's well filmed, well acted, at times touching and so on. But it didn't really grab me as a drama. Nothing like the movie Boiling Point for example.

Yea I thought it was ok but I bet plenty of people saw the twist coming a mile off. Severance and Sherwood at 3 and 2 were both better.

New Channel 4 sitcom miniseries Everybody Else Burns, about a family part of a Christian fundamentalist sect in suburban England, is pretty watchable. Whereas I don’t think is as brilliant and addictive as some newspapers are rating it as, it’s still about 7/10 imo and worth checking out.

The bloke from the Inbetweeners who plays the head of the family is actually the least funny and credible character imo, but the lives and happenings of the rest of his family are much more interesting and amusing. Stick past the first episode, as the show finds its feet and gets much better going forward.

New Channel 4 sitcom miniseries Everybody Else Burns, about a family part of a Christian fundamentalist sect in suburban England, is pretty watchable. Whereas I don’t think is as brilliant and addictive as some newspapers are rating it as, it’s still about 7/10 imo and worth checking out.

The bloke from the Inbetweeners who plays the head of the family is actually the least funny and credible character imo, but the lives and happenings of the rest of his family are much more interesting and amusing. Stick past the first episode, as the show finds its feet and gets much better going forward.

Ta for this, I watched the first three. I agree — it’s well done, particularly once you get past the first episode. For me, it falls into the “not a classic but better than 99% of everything else on telly” category.

Ta for this, I watched the first three. I agree — it’s well done, particularly once you get past the first episode. For me, it falls into the “not a classic but better than 99% of everything else on telly” category.
I’ve also started it. I like it. One thing I can’t believe is Maddie from Corrie is still playing a schoolgirl 15 years later! She was 16 in Harlan Coben’s Safe, too. She must be 32 by now.

To anyone looking for easy watching entertainment, Reginald the Vampire has turned out to be decent comedy fodder. It’s a 10-episode about a physically unattractive and socially awkward young man who gets turned into a vampire by a well meaning vampire in order to save his live, which then provokes the ire of the bigoted and beauty-obsessed local vampire council in charge of deciding who is worthy of joining their ranks.

Not fantastic but not bad either. Ignore the low IMDB ratings: undoubtedly the usual anti-wokery internet warriors at work. 7//10 ratings elsewhere else. On Now

Witch Hunt. Norwegian corporate/political thriller based on an actual scandal about a whistleblowing CFO/Office Manager who uncovers corruption between her bosses (a law firm) and government ministers, and their attempts to shut her up. Absolutely brilliant if you like this sort of thing.

Streaming on 4OD in the Walter Presents collection.

Has anybody mentioned the Get Shorty TV series? On 4OD. I’ve almost finished the first season and I think it’s brilliant. Chris O’Dowd is inspired casting as an apparently amiable, affable buffoon, who will switch on a sixpence so that all that affability suddenly becomes utterly menacing. When he says, “I’ll ruin your life. I’ll ruin your fucking life,” with a cheerful grin and never changing the lighthearted tone, you’re in no doubt that he means it and it will happen.

Has anybody mentioned the Get Shorty TV series? On 4OD. I’ve almost finished the first season and I think it’s brilliant. Chris O’Dowd is inspired casting as an apparently amiable, affable buffoon, who will switch on a sixpence so that all that affability suddenly becomes utterly menacing. When he says, “I’ll ruin your life. I’ll ruin your fucking life,” with a cheerful grin and never changing the lighthearted tone, you’re in no doubt that he means it and it will happen.
Never even heard of it but will need to check it out. Thanks for the recommendation. :)

Very good series :)

Sky Showtime via their Romanian site has an offer for 1.99 euros a month for a lifetime. Its got bits of all sorts from Sky , Peacock, HBO Europe , Paramount etc Need a Romanian VPN to sign up, I used Paypal . All the series and films have language options and if you edit your profile you can change the system language to English .

Simple instructions to cancel

We've been rewatching Frazier on the RTE player (maybe not available outside the 26). It's really good, and really underrated. Very witty scripts, great actors - you should catch up on it too.
Since I wrote that, we've made it all the way to season 7. And the show is visibly running out of ideas, with four seasons to go. I never saw the fabled "Daphne's brothers" episode the first time around, but I won't be surprised if it lives up to billing as an exercise in cringe.

Since I wrote that, we've made it all the way to season 7. And the show is visibly running out of ideas, with four seasons to go. I never saw the fabled "Daphne's brothers" episode the first time around, but I won't be surprised if it lives up to billing as an exercise in cringe.
Watched a relatively early one the other day where they tried to stage a radio play. I hadn't laughed so much in months.

Back
Top Bottom