Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

TV series recommendations general (excluding Netflix/ Amazon)

Half way through ITV’s new seemly supernatural police drama Passenger, and it is better than I thought it’d be. Slow burning but with enough subplots to keep you going. Themes inspired by Dark and the recent season of True Detective, and a mix of visuals, cars and technology from the last few decades a la Sex Education.

Tales From The Explorers Club. A six-part exploration documentary narrating notable feats of its many illustrious members, from Shackleton to Sir Edmund Hillary to a range of other explorers I had never heard about and whose stories are fascinating.

This is a series produced and presented by Josh Gates, but don’t let that put you off. This is orders of magnitude better than everything else he’s done, and his screen time is much more restricted. I learned various facts I didn’t know about, even about stories I was already reasonably familiar with.

Still nowhere award-winning material, but a very entertaining and easy to watch history series.

Anyone seen Mary & George?

Watched the first one tonight, looks rather better than 98% of Sky productions

Half way through ITV’s new seemly supernatural police drama Passenger, and it is better than I thought it’d be. Slow burning but with enough subplots to keep you going. Themes inspired by Dark and the recent season of True Detective, and a mix of visuals, cars and technology from the last few decades a la Sex Education.

What did you think of the ... ending 😁

1971 - apple TV series about the music and politics of 1971. Tariq Ali turns up to warn John Lennon not to move to America, "it's full of kooks you know". Last night's one was about feminism and gay rights, with Carly Simon, Joni, and Elton John (the Father Dougal of modern British music).

I don't think this one has been hyped at all, butif you can get over the Boomerist nostalgia it's very good indeed. All archive footage and archive interviews, it combines the music with social history in a very credible way. I'm just too young to remember this particular era, but I do remember what came after it, and I have to say this era had quite a long "tail", extending deep into the 1980s.

Well The Regime sure seems like its going to be a lot of fun! Cracking first episode IMO.

Sky Atlantic.
It’s got quite a mixed bag of reviews but fairly enjoying the first episode. And whereas nobody is infallible, it seems unlikely Kate Winslet would sign up for a shit series. In any event, her character and general tone of the show couldn’t be more apart from her last TV outing (Mare of Easttown). Perhaps she felt like needed to counter the intensity of that.

It’s got quite a mixed bag of reviews but fairly enjoying the first episode. And whereas nobody is infallible, it seems unlikely Kate Winslet would sign up for a shit series. In any event, her character and general tone of the show couldn’t be more apart from her last TV outing (Mare of Easttown). Perhaps she felt like needed to counter the intensity of that.
I really liked the first episode.

As you say, it's had mixed reviews but I thought it was funny, stylish and inventive with some great people - Andrea Riseborough oh my love! - Pippa Haywood, David Bamber, and of course Ms Winslet who is an absolute joy as far as I'm concerned.

The Guardian hated it. But screw them!

First episode of The Red King is very good. On Alibi/ Sky/ NowTV. Certainly a go-to for fans of The Wicker Man :)

It is the series you have been waiting for, if you wanted to see what The Wicker Man were remade for daytime TV and set in Wales.

There is some truly awful dialogue and very ropey acting as well as umpteen cliches of the genre. But it is also very silly and entertaining. I looked up which Welsh island it actually was. Turns out it was mainly filmed in Craster and around Northumberland.

Channel4 has a new one called The Gathering, I thought it was excellent. Surprises throughout and the best ending(s) I've seen in a British drama of this kind in quite a long time.

(Possibly because it's meant as a one off? So all arcs conclude satisfyingly. Anyway, no spoilers!)

Just realised that 12 Monkeys (Series) is currently on ITVX.

I loved the film, never seen the series.
Going to binge watch it soon.
I've tried watchin it twice. Both times i got bogged down in the last season - it became so complicated i no longer had a clue what was going on.

Just coming up to the end of the first series of Orphan Black: Echoes, on ITVX, set 37 odd years in the future. It's not earth shattering but fairly entertaining.
Finally got round to watching this. I thought it was good.

Tatiana Maslany's award-winning performances as several clones in the original Orphan Black series set the bar really high.

For anyone unfamiliar with the original series before the Echoes spin-off, you can catch up on Orphan Black on itvX before watching Orphan Black Echoes. Although I think it probably also works okay as a stand-alone series.

I have to say I think the casting of Lucy and Jules in this series was inspired.

There's sufficient plotlines and plot twists to keep you guessing and keep the tension going too, with several action scenes and other new characters, plus some cameos from characters from the original series.

Back
Top Bottom