Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Transgender hate crimes recorded by police go up 81%

If they're ever released it will be under new names - which the public won't know - so don't see the point in naming them now.

Nope, if that were to have happen the judge would have stated it when naming them, in the same way they did with Venables and Thompson and also Mary Bell.

Should either of this pair ever be judged fit for release, under current legislation they would be entitled to change their names via deed poll, imo people convicted of serious crimes should not be permitted to do so.

I'm not sure what the law is, but yes, they would probably be named once they reach 18. And that's okay. By the time they reach 18, the immediate anger would have died down.

No, not all killers remain anonymous, but it's fairly usual not to name children who commit murders, is it?

I think the judge's point (although talking from memory I'd have to go back and check) is that there was nothing she could do to prevent them being named when they turned 18 and given that's not much over a year away and the public interest in the case they might as well get it over with now. I don't really see how it helps anyone tbh, although everyone local must already know who they are, so it would (and has in some corners) leak out anyway.

I think the judge's point (although talking from memory I'd have to go back and check) is that there was nothing she could do to prevent them being named when they turned 18 and given that's not much over a year away and the public interest in the case they might as well get it over with now. I don't really see how it helps anyone tbh, although everyone local must already know who they are, so it would (and has in some corners) leak out anyway.
exactly

This is false, children convicted of murder are usually named.

This is not false and neither is the reason I gave. Children under 18 are not to be identified except in exceptional circumstances. Exceptional circumstances is not an objective measure, so will differ depending. I think with Venables and Thompson, that the names were already common knowledge.

This is false, children convicted of murder are usually named.
That is completely untrue. Anonymity is only overridden in ‘exceptional circumstances’. In this case it was because “naming Jenkinson and Ratcliffe was necessary for the public to understand “how children could do something so dreadful”.”

That is completely untrue. Anonymity is only overridden in ‘exceptional circumstances’. In this case it was because “naming Jenkinson and Ratcliffe was necessary for the public to understand “how children could do something so dreadful”.”

No it's not. Children being convicted of murder is an exceedingly rare event, thankfully, which is why they are nearly always named. They may then be given life-long anonymity, such as Bell, Venables and Thompson, but they are still named and their images at the time of their arrest are released.

This is not false and neither is the reason I gave. Children under 18 are not to be identified except in exceptional circumstances. Exceptional circumstances is not an objective measure, so will differ depending. I think with Venables and Thompson, that the names were already common knowledge.

The names are always common knowledge locally. Always.

Children are granted anonymity when convicted of crimes, rightly so as the aim (as it is supposedly for most sentences) is for rehabilitation. However the only sentence for murder is life (His Maj's Pleasure for kids) which includes a usually substantial term of incarceration plus the rest of their life on licence, so they will very much not be children when they get out (Venables & Thompson kind of were, as they were so incredibly young when they did for James Bulger.

It is the rarity of children committing murder that leads to their naming though, the judge does so as an example to others.

Last edited:
What a court must weigh up before naming a child:

1. In deciding whether to impose or thereafter to lift reporting restrictions, the court will consider whether there are good reasons for naming the defendant;
  2. In reaching that decision, the court will give considerable weight to the age of the offender and to the potential damage to any young person of public identification as a criminal before the offender has the benefit or burden of adulthood;
  3. By virtue of section 44 of the 1933 Act, the court must ‘have regard to the welfare of the child or young person’;
  4. The prospect of being named in court with the accompanying disgrace is a powerful deterrent and the naming of a defendant in the context of his punishment serves as a deterrent to
    others. These deterrents are proper objectives for the court to seek;
  5. There is a strong public interest in open justice and in the public knowing as much as possible about what has happened in court, including the identity of those who have committed crime;
  6. The weight to be attributed to the different factors may shift at different stages of the proceedings and, in particular, after the defendant has been found, or pleads, guilty and is
    sentenced. It may then be appropriate to place greater weight on the interest of the public in knowing the identity of those who have committed crimes, particularly serious and detestable crimes;
  7. [where applicable] The fact that an appeal has been made may be a material consideration.

Which is why kids that murder are usually named.

No it's not. Children being convicted of murder is an exceedingly rare event, thankfully, which is why they are nearly always named. They may then be given life-long anonymity, such as Bell, Venables and Thompson, but they are still named and their images at the time of their arrest are released.
You can only name two cases from 1968 and 1993. Nothing from the last thirty years. Every news report states that naming them is unusual.

You can only name two cases from 1968 and 1993. Nothing from the last thirty years. Every news report states that naming them is unusual.
Can you think of a case where someone under 18 was convicted of murder and then not named?

Can you think of a case where someone under 18 was convicted of murder and then not named?
I can only think of the Sophie Lancaster case. It is a very rare offense and a quick google doesn’t bring up any other cases. But that’s what I’d expect anyway, if the crimes weren’t horrific enough to make headlines and names are to be withheld, we wouldn’t be likely to hear about it, would we?

I can only think of the Sophie Lancaster case. It is a very rare offense and a quick google doesn’t bring up any other cases. But that’s what I’d expect anyway, if the crimes weren’t horrific enough to make headlines and names are to be withheld, we wouldn’t be likely to hear about it, would we?

Will Cornick, to name one off the cuff.

The murder needs to be exceptional, rather than run of the mill (which doesn't sound right when applied to murder, of course)

The names are always common knowledge locally. Always.

Children are granted anonymity when convicted of crimes, rightly so as the aim (as it is supposedly for most sentences) is for rehabilitation. However the only sentence for murder is life (His Maj's Pleasure for kids) which includes a usually substantial term of incarceration plus the rest of their life on licence, so they will very much not be children when they get out (Venables & Thompson kind of were, as they were so incredibly young when they did for James Bulger.

It is the rarity of children committing murder that leads to their naming though, the judge does so as an example to others.
I've known their names for almost a year

Back
Top Bottom