Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Transgender hate crimes recorded by police go up 81%

It's like dealing with a thick teacher when you were a kid.
They set the subject, write it on the board. No difficult questions allowed or see me after class.
Tbh when someone says 'these posters appear in every toilet at this uni' yet are contradicted by the link they're certainly not the sharpest tool in the box. To then compound the matter by refusing to acknowledge the error or apologise for it - well, it's not a good look.

It was not just the poster the university also has a habit of no platforming people. The article was absolute poppycock by the way. But that is now all I have to say on this thread. Again if you would like to discuss with me I am happy for you to send me a dm. Adios
if the article's poppycock do tell how. It is at worst poppycock from 2014 detailing how these posters only appeared during a week long campaign. I would be interested in some evidence for your claim Bristol uni no platform people, which is potentially against the law. But I won't hold my breath as it seems to me you no longer have confidence in the strength of your arguments to discuss matters in public.

Bristol University students seek to ban 'Terf' speakers who question transgender status of women

'Trans row' student banned from debate

The essay...

And really this is the last you are going to get out of me.

It starts by stating trans gendered persons in single sex spaces is nothing new. References a book from the 70's which was a time as we know when transgendered meant transexual and having undergone a meaningful transition. She completely ignores any works by Kathleen Stock, Holly Lawford Smith et al when she asserts that academics have largely failed to reflect on how rules should be applied.

I did agree when she stated trans people in the UK enjoy considerable rights and entitlements and she acknowledged that trans men suffer a unique interesection of oppression from both misogyny and transphobia.

Most of the essay is full of problems because although she began with discussing sex segregated spaces she insists on conflating gender with sex, eg, binary gender-lines, using facilities according to gender status, single gender space, gender segregation etc. and will say things like "female-identified".

If we are going use gender, we need a robust non-circular definition of gender. One that provides proof of why I experience the same genderhood as another woman and also a transwoman. Oh yes and she quoted "transwomen are women" to argue that trans people in single gendered spaces do not violate gendered privacy.

The biggest assertion she made was that people do not want to see people of the opposite sex (she may have used gender) in their single sex spaces because non trans people think trans peoples bodies are unnatural. She is trying to use an excuse that we are disgusted by the sight of trans womens bodies and does not once mention safeguarding (she might have said more in the middle of it, I have to admit I zoned out), except to say if it isn't happening now then it will not happen. As you know that is not the concerns of GC feminists (see my earlier posts). She pushes that we are disgusted by trans bodies and concludes that if we are not comfortable to get over it.

Now how to properly mute this thread as I thought I had done previously...I wish you well and will perhaps see you in happier less emotive threads.

Bristol University students seek to ban 'Terf' speakers who question transgender status of women

'Trans row' student banned from debate

The essay...

And really this is the last you are going to get out of me.

It starts by stating trans gendered persons in single sex spaces is nothing new. References a book from the 70's which was a time as we know when transgendered meant transexual and having undergone a meaningful transition. She completely ignores any works by Kathleen Stock, Holly Lawford Smith et al when she asserts that academics have largely failed to reflect on how rules should be applied.

I did agree when she stated trans people in the UK enjoy considerable rights and entitlements and she acknowledged that trans men suffer a unique interesection of oppression from both misogyny and transphobia.

Most of the essay is full of problems because although she began with discussing sex segregated spaces she insists on conflating gender with sex, eg, binary gender-lines, using facilities according to gender status, single gender space, gender segregation etc. and will say things like "female-identified".

If we are going use gender, we need a robust non-circular definition of gender. One that provides proof of why I experience the same genderhood as another woman and also a transwoman. Oh yes and she quoted "transwomen are women" to argue that trans people in single gendered spaces do not violate gendered privacy.

The biggest assertion she made was that people do not want to see people of the opposite sex (she may have used gender) in their single sex spaces because non trans people think trans peoples bodies are unnatural. She is trying to use an excuse that we are disgusted by the sight of trans womens bodies and does not once mention safeguarding (she might have said more in the middle of it, I have to admit I zoned out), except to say if it isn't happening now then it will not happen. As you know that is not the concerns of GC feminists (see my earlier posts). She pushes that we are disgusted by trans bodies and concludes that if we are not comfortable to get over it.

Now how to properly mute this thread as I thought I had done previously...I wish you well and will perhaps see you in happier less emotive threads.
I'm sorry, when you said bristol university no platform people I naturally assumed you meant bristol university the university authorities rather than some students at the university - what you're talking about now is a very different claim to the one you made just a few posts back.

E2A I'm not sure how much benefit there is to anyone engaging with you, whether they agree with you or not, because of the way in which what you say can't be trusted, two instances of your being at best misleading in such close succession are not indicative of someone who knows or cares much about what they come out with

Last edited:
OK sorry you misunderstood. Same people who put up the posters. Same people who write essays.

Now I cannot for the life of me work out how to stop seeing that you are posting on here and I very much want to ignore this thread and arguing with people who follow an ideology I do not believe in which could be upsetting to those who have had to argue on this topic many more times than I.

I am sure on other threads we can rub along quite nicely together. Again if people would like my view on a part of the trans debate my dm's are open.

How do I switch this thread off from my mentions?

OK sorry you misunderstood. Same people who put up the posters. Same people who write essays.

Now I cannot for the life of me work out how to stop seeing that you are posting on here and I very much want to ignore this thread and arguing with people who follow an ideology I do not believe in which could be upsetting to those who have had to argue on this topic many more times than I.

I am sure on other threads we can rub along quite nicely together. Again if people would like my view on a part of the trans debate my dm's are open.

How do I switch this thread off from my mentions?
If someone quotes you or tags you you'll get an alert. What you want is the 'ignore poster' option...left-click their name under their avatar at the left of the screen, a box will come up with some options and ignore is one of them. Removing the more extreme or disruptive elements of a conversation can sometimes bring it down to an acceptable level. You still keep the option of seeing what they say.

I’m still after a thousand pages unclear as to why we need a robust non-circular definition of gender that badly. People have less of a sense of urgency over climate change than gender critical feminists apparently have of getting a robust non-circular definition of gender in time for Christmas.

I’m still after a thousand pages unclear as to why we need a robust non-circular definition of gender that badly.
I would say it is important in order to have well-functioning law and policy, if gender is going to be used as a legal and political category.

If someone quotes you or tags you you'll get an alert. What you want is the 'ignore poster' option...left-click their name under their avatar at the left of the screen, a box will come up with some options and ignore is one of them. Removing the more extreme or disruptive elements of a conversation can sometimes bring it down to an acceptable level. You still keep the option of seeing what they say.
So it's your contention pointing out someone's claim is at odds with reality is extreme or disruptive. Curious.

That was covered a few times in earlier threads too, I doubt there’s much point going over it again.
I don't recall that specific discussion, but I don't think I've read every page of every relevant thread. However, this isn't really the thread to discuss it.

And so the great big 'youre a transphobe' shit-slinging juggernaut rumbles on and on.

Taking on the person not the argument. Slinging the -ism not any intellectual content. It's a shame to see this in this thread.

Im not at all surprised transphobia is up - there are more trans people being more visible and daily debates about the issues. Daily arguments. It's naive to expect it all to be oh so rosy and simple when it's very much not a simple issue. Especially with a resurgent far right and social media etc.

Back
Top Bottom