Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Tory Leadership contest 2022

I did read it, and noted you don’t think it would work.

But, my point is he wouldn't even try it, he's a proper twat, but he's not likely to try anything so mad, even if only because of advice/pressure from family, friends, and others close to him.

It was only a few days ago that loads of people were saying he would never resign, but when comforted with reality, he did.
Lovely typo.
Johnson, comforted with reality. That will be the day.

Looking through Wikipedia, the current longlist has the largest number of people of colour to ever put themselves forward for leader. One more woman to make it the most ever.

Not so sure. Sunak's standing is based to a large extent on the fact that for the first 18 months of the pandemic he was the only member of the government who did anything useful. But Hancock and Williamson and the rest, not to mention Johnson himself, were doing a great job of making sure he got disproportionate credit by all being so utterly useless. And no one's going to vote for him based on that, because that was pretty much the only situation in which Tories would regard the goverment successfully handing out wads of money (to the plebs, that is, rather than their mates with companies looking for govt contracts) as a positive achievement.
Plenty
Looking through Wikipedia, the current longlist has the largest number of people of colour to ever put themselves forward for leader. One more woman to make it the most ever.
Your point being?

Not so sure. Sunak's standing is based to a large extent on the fact that for the first 18 months of the pandemic he was the only member of the government who did anything useful. But Hancock and Williamson and the rest, not to mention Johnson himself, were doing a great job of making sure he got disproportionate credit by all being so utterly useless. And no one's going to vote for him based on that, because that was pretty much the only situation in which Tories would regard the goverment successfully handing out wads of money (to the plebs, that is, rather than their mates with companies looking for govt contracts) as a positive achievement.

I don't know what you mean here - is it that you think plenty will vote for him because of his pandemic record? What makes you think so? My feeling is that it made him look good while there was a pandemic but now most people think (wrongly, but still...) that that's all over, many Tories will feel soiled by the necessity of handouts and want to distance themselves from it, and will question his commitment to their core article of faith of cutting taxes.

(I wasn't and am not doubting that plenty will vote for him despite this btw - just that he's a shoe-in, which seemed to be Calamity1971 's fear. He may still be the candidate to beat, but his star's a lot dimmer than it was a year or so ago.)

As a display of modern global British society, it's a superb example of how people of any gender, colour, creed or religion can rise to the highest echelons of bastardly power whilst still leaving everyone else of any gender, colour, creed or religion to starve, freeze and be eaten by rats.

I don't know what you mean here - is it that you think plenty will vote for him because of his pandemic record? What makes you think so? My feeling is that it made him look good while there was a pandemic but now most people think (wrongly, but still...) that that's all over, many Tories will feel soiled by the necessity of handouts and want to distance themselves from it, and will question his commitment to their core article of faith of cutting taxes.

(I wasn't and am not doubting that plenty will vote for him despite this btw - just that he's a shoe-in, which seemed to be Calamity1971 's fear. He may still be the candidate to beat, but his star's a lot dimmer than it was a year or so ago.)
Sorry, I think that must have been a mismatch of comment and random quote that I hadn't noticed, because I don't understand it either. :oops: As it happens, I wouldn't place a bet on how much support Sunak has. He's popular in his own constituency but clearly there's a lot of antipathy elsewhere for someone who's seen as privileged and out of touch. The covid handouts popularity has probably been eclipsed by the furlough fraud scandal.

The underlying reality of Sunaks pandemic influence was that he added to delays in doing the right thing on several key occasions, and his eat out to help out shit was derided when it became clear what affect that had on getting another wave started sooner than would have otherwise been the case. However I am well aware that there is likely to be a large gap between those realities and public and party perceptions.

I dont think I'll spend much time speculating about the likely next leader at this stage, I'll wait until the field has narrowed and until more grenades have been thrown. And I'll try to resist the temptation to read into anything thats based on who the early front runners appear to be.

But certainly Sunaks 'talk up quite how bad the economic conditions are going to be' strategy is not without risk. He is no doubt doing this in order to bolster his 'not completely detached from reality' credentials but the tories may prefer to hear rhetoric that is far removed from reality at this stage.

But certainly Sunaks 'talk up quite how bad the economic conditions are going to be' strategy is not without risk. He is no doubt doing this in order to bolster his 'not completely detached from reality' credentials but the tories may prefer to hear rhetoric that is far removed from reality at this stage.
I think he's badly misjudged how well the 'hard choices' stuff is going to play with the Tory party membership, given he has already somewhat queered his pitch by raising taxes and bungling the response to inflation.

My hunch is the winning candidate will spell out a much more optimistic message, that will very probably turn out to be complete bollox.

He is no doubt doing this in order to bolster his 'not completely detached from reality' credentials but the tories may prefer to hear rhetoric that is far removed from reality at this stage.

And I'm sure there will be plenty of candidates who will claim they can get everything straightened out by christmas.

I think he's badly misjudged how well the 'hard choices' stuff is going to play with the Tory party membership, given he has already somewhat queered his pitch by raising taxes and bungling the response to inflation.

My hunch is the winning candidate will spell out a much more optimistic message, that will very probably turn out to be complete bollox.

That implies we'll get one of the loons, because they'll be the only ones who can barefacedly promote an optimistic message given the state we're in at the moment.

Given that the new party leader will need to be able to fight an election campaign in due course, I think that's right.

I think it’s possible that, after BJ, peoples’s appetite for barefaced bullshit and cheery clownery might be reduced. A bit of boring might be appealing to the party members after all this idk.

I think it’s possible that, after BJ, peoples’s appetite for barefaced bullshit and cheery clownery might be reduced. A bit of boring might be appealing to the party members after all this idk.
I thought that, then I heard the parade of Conservative member loons on Any Answers and realised nope, they’re just as batshit crazy as they ever were. One, for example, simply said it should be a “good British guy” and that she would not want it to be a woman.

Sunak, yet another product of fantastic privilege. What is it with voters that makes them want to be ruled over by upper classes? So rich that they can chose to pay tax or not, if they want. Don't trust him to make choices that wont benefit his rich mates and the world they inhabit that depends on ranks and ranks of poorer drones doing the work that pays their dividends.

From what I’ve read from party members, Sunak is famous for splurging billions of pounds of hard earned taxes on fraudsters during the pandemic, so any sort of credibility for economic prudence simply isn’t there.

Being an idiot i've been popping over to the daily mail comments sections every now and then, to see how they are all doing, the bots and the loons, and they've been deeply unhappy all week but seemingly united only in their dislike of all the non-boris options.
There's also shitloads of 'polite' racism in the way the candidates are being discussed over there, idk what the overlap is with party members but if its a thing that will imo be a significant factor.

Last edited:
There's also shitloads of 'polite' racism in the way the candidates are being discussed over there, idk what the overlap is with party members but if its a thing that will imo be a significant factor.
Yeah, lots of code words without a doubt. Sunak’s video, for example, was described as “just not very English”.

Last edited:
i don't think this is likely to be true, or if it is true then it's not possible, but wouldn't be at all surprised if he's drunkenly phoned a lawyer to enquire about it (as one of his ex-girlfriends here has decided to claim).

Screenshot 2022-07-10 at 07.25.42.png

i don't think this is likely to be true, or if it is true then it's not possible, but wouldn't be at all surprised if he's drunkenly phoned a lawyer to enquire about it (as one of his ex-girlfriends here has decided to claim).

View attachment 331472
I guess if he did that then he wouldn't make the final 2 to go to the party membership, this then would stir up a shitstorm with the local parties.

As a display of modern global British society, it's a superb example of how people of any gender, colour, creed or religion can rise to the highest echelons of bastardly power whilst still leaving everyone else of any gender, colour, creed or religion to starve, freeze and be eaten by rats.
Being rich trumps all other social factors

Sunak, yet another product of fantastic privilege. What is it with voters that makes them want to be ruled over by upper classes? So rich that they can chose to pay tax or not, if they want.
Probably the naive belief that someone who has done so well for themself will have the ability to do similar for the whole country. The Trump delusion.

It obviously ignores the fact that people who do well for themselves do so at the expense of others, and the fact they‘re seeking high office can only be seen as an attempt to do even better for themselves at the expense of even more people.

Back
Top Bottom