Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Tory Leadership contest 2022

That’s all true from one perspective. Except, he hasn’t yet resigned as party leader: he’s agreed to resign as party leader at some future point, as part of the reselection process. (The process to be announced next week).

“It is clearly now the will of the parliamentary Conservative Party that there should be a new leader of that party” (my emphasis).

“I've agreed with Sir Graham Brady, the chairman of our backbench MPs, that the process of choosing that new leader should begin now and the timetable will be announced next week.”

He mentioned several times his personal mandate. (Something he does not in fact possess but either believes he does possess or wants us to believe he does).

It is not entirely beyond the realms of possibility that he believes he can form a new party, and due to his wonderfulness, somehow regain a majority in Parliament.

Would that work? No way. Might he think it stands a chance? He is certainly deluded and entitled enough that we shouldn’t rule that out.

How do you know he hasn't resigned? All the indications are that he has, otherwise Tory bigwigs would be kicking off.

Brady seems to think he has:

He signed a resignation letter to Brady/the party, the fact that he didn't say 'resign' during his speech doesn't matter, Johnson was probably thinking it was better to leave out, for some slight face saving reason.

Glad to see Wallace out of the race, I think that could have gone very quick;y from "Isn't is refreshing to have a no-nonsense military man running things" to "Oh, but I wasn't expecting him to use the army against the strikers."

It was reported live on the day by Sky News, first the Chief Whip went in to tell him in a VoNC only 65 MPs were likely to support him,, then about an hour latter they reported a resignation letter was being drawn-up, and after that, that he had signed it. He did his speech over 2 hours later, so plenty of time for careful wording that Johnson with agree too,

Impossible to find a source online now, as any search including 'Johnson' and 'resignation letter' returns results including all those 62 MPs that resigned, on a google news search almost 1.5 million results! :D

It was reported live on the day by Sky News, first the Chief Whip went in to tell him in a VoNC only 65 MPs were likely to support him,, then about an hour latter they reported a resignation letter was being drawn-up, and after that, that he had signed it. He did his speech over 2 hours later, so plenty of time for careful wording that Johnson with agree too,

Impossible to find a source online now, as any search including 'Johnson' and 'resignation letter' returns results including all those 62 MPs that resigned, on a google news search almost 1.5 million results! :D
All the relevant searches I've come up with so far have the wording "A No 10 source said Mr Johnson spoke to Sir Graham Brady, chairman of the Conservative 1922 Committee, to inform him of his decision" or variations on that, from 2 days ago. No mention of a letter. But these are Jesuitical distinctions.
Oh wait.

Glad to see Wallace out of the race, I think that could have gone very quick;y from "Isn't is refreshing to have a no-nonsense military man running things" to "Oh, but I wasn't expecting him to use the army against the strikers."

Probably the other way around - he's been very public, and stridently so, about telling other ministers and administrations that the Army does not exist to be used as a pool of labour for when they fail to run their public services properly.

He takes the view that using the Army to collect bins is as outrageous as using paramedics, or teachers to do so...

Probably the other way around - he's been very public, and stridently so, about telling other ministers and administrations that the Army does not exist to be used as a pool of labour for when they fail to run their public services properly.

He takes the view that using the Army to collect bins is as outrageous as using paramedics, or teachers to do so...

Except bin men and teachers actually have other stuff to do.

He signed a resignation letter to Brady/the party, the fact that he didn't say 'resign' during his speech doesn't matter, Johnson was probably thinking it was better to leave out, for some slight face saving reason.
Look, I think he’s out. We’re speculating about what he may think he can pull off. Key words: May and think.

It’s clear he has to resign as leader of the Tory party. He may have privately already done so, or he may formally have to as part of the process beginning next week.

However, the Prime Minister does not have to be the leader of the largest party in the House. They only have to be able to command a majority. Here’s how he could command a majority: form a new party with him as leader and claim he has a personal mandate from the electorate from 2019. Refuse to resign as Prime Minister (this can wait until the autumn).

Then, Starmer calls a vote of no confidence in the prime minister. Would the now-diminished Tories back Starmer or Johnson?

Remember, Johnson gamed the prorogation early in his premiership. He’s a risk taker. He may (may) believe he can game this.

Clearly this is supposition. A bit of fun. We don’t know. Can we rule it (or something like it) out? Well, it’s BoJo. We cannot. Indeed, it may explain the peculiarly evasive wording of his speech.

Will he actually try it? Who knows. Would it work? No.

How's about: he probably has the instinctive low cunning and experience to keep it vague at the point of crisis to let him hang on and see where it looks like things are going, i.e. more he left himself that option rather than has already decided to try it on?

Look, I think he’s out. We’re speculating about what he may think he can pull off. Key words: May and think.

It’s clear he has to resign as leader of the Tory party. He may have privately already done so, or he may formally have to as part of the process beginning next week.

However, the Prime Minister does not have to be the leader of the largest party in the House. They only have to be able to command a majority. Here’s how he could command a majority: form a new party with him as leader and claim he has a personal mandate from the electorate from 2019. Refuse to resign as Prime Minister (this can wait until the autumn).

Then, Starmer calls a vote of no confidence in the prime minister. Would the now-diminished Tories back Starmer or Johnson?

Remember, Johnson gamed the prorogation early in his premiership. He’s a risk taker. He may (may) believe he can game this.

Clearly this is supposition. A bit of fun. We don’t know. Can we rule it (or something like it) out? Well, it’s BoJo. We cannot. Indeed, it may explain the peculiarly evasive wording of his speech.

Will he actually try it? Who knows. Would it work? No.

Johnson couldn't command a majority in the house, the Tories would be happy in backing a Labour motion of no confidence in him as PM, in full confidence that it wouldn't result in a general election, as the Queen would have to look for someone else who could command a majority, before dissolving parliament, and that would be the new Tory leader.

Johnson couldn't command a majority in the house, the Tories would be happy in backing a Labour motion of no confidence in him as PM, in full confidence that it wouldn't result in a general election, as the Queen would have to look for someone else who could command a majority, before dissolving parliament, and that would be the new Tory leader.
I don't think such a barmpot plan would have a hope of working but you're this is Johnson he IS crazy enough to try it if he thought it might work.

Yeah, if you read what I said, I don’t think it would work. I did say that.

That's Braverman's only talking point, really, and if Dorries really is standing too I think it's beyond doubt it'll turn into this.

Zahawi just said in his campaign launch he wants to focus on “letting children be children, protecting them from damaging and inappropriate nonsense being forced on them by radical activists", so I think they’ll all be at it soon.

Zahawi just said in his campaign launch he wants to focus on “letting children be children, protecting them from damaging and inappropriate nonsense being forced on them by radical activists", so I think they’ll all be at it soon.
Maybe he means he wants to scrap all the pointless testing in schools foisted on kids as a sop to 3 Rs fundies?

I don't think such a barmpot plan would have a hope of working but you're this is Johnson he IS crazy enough to try it if he thought it might work.

Yeah, if you read what I said, I don’t think it would work. I did say that.

I did read it, and noted you don’t think it would work.

But, my point is he wouldn't even try it, he's a proper twat, but he's not likely to try anything so mad, even if only because of advice/pressure from family, friends, and others close to him.

It was only a few days ago that loads of people were saying he would never resign, but when comforted with reality, he did.

Back
Top Bottom