Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Tory Leadership contest 2022

Robbie Moore, a Tory MP who is supporting Penny Mordaunt, says he is "absolutely confident we have the numbers" required to force a run-off with Rishi Sunak.

Mordaunt currently has just 25 MPs who've publicly backed her campaign - she must reach 100 by 14:00 today.

In contrast, 155 have already announced their support for Sunak.

But Moore says he's confident Mordaunt will be on the ballot.
Was just reminded how the news channels, particularly the bbc, are tied into all this bullshit. Just turned the news channel on and they had the usual people stood in downing street: 'we don't who it might be... there's a chance it will be sunak today... could be tomorrow... walking through that door... Mordaunt still claims...'. FFS, just grow up and report on how we all know it's going to play out. They have reporters there, wanting to do all the theatre, so the pointless theatre is what they do.

Practically speaking, I'm not sure Mordaunt can continue if she has, say, 102 votes to Sunak's 200+. Think she'd be under massive pressure to stand aside (in return for a nice big Cabinet job).

He didn’t play them very well then.
It was a long shot. I mean he was forced out in disgrace just a couple of months ago. It was a really long shot. But he's won long shots before, and playing the media like that was an essential part of it. Still failed, but that doesn't mean he didn't do it effectively.

A r/w fucker has just become prime minister of Italy on the back of a platform that centres on Christianity and Christian identity, but I don't think we're near that kind of place here tbh. And a secular Hindu is hard to turn into a threat.

There will be a pretty big reshuffle once Sunak is crowned - a few Boris nominators will have to go - Cleverley for one - Nadhim another - he'll have to keep Hunt atm because markets - Mordaunt will get a decent gig - which probably means Grant Shapps (aka Michael Green) gets shifted - but probably to another gig . He might keep some of the Truss folk - but will want his own people in mainly - with a nod towards 'unity'.

It was a long shot. I mean he was forced out in disgrace just a couple of months ago. It was a really long shot. But he's won long shots before, and playing the media like that was an essential part of it. Still failed, but that doesn't mean he didn't do it effectively.
It’s not ‘playing the media’ tho. Of course they covered it, they often cover farces. He was clearly lying (about numbers) and they said that. He got headlines about being humiliated and a failure. In absolutely no way is that ‘effective’

You’re playing his game that anything he does is genius in some way. But it’s bollocks, he’s just an egotist with abysmal judgement. If anything the media played him, got him to throw away his The Return card.

It’s not ‘playing the media’ tho. Of course they covered it, they often cover farces. He was clearly lying (about numbers) and they said that. He got headlines about being humiliated and a failure. In absolutely no way is that ‘effective’

You’re playing his game that anything he does is genius in some way. But it’s bollocks, he’s just an egotist with abysmal judgement. If anything the media played him, got him to throw away his The Return card.
I don't think it's genius, but it is the case that he's fallen up several times through his career. That he failed this time doesn't necessarily mean he did it badly. Just means he was attempting the impossible.

And I'm not sure he ever did have a The Return card. When the Tories are kicked out, they won't be going back to Johnson. His day is done. I think that was already true.

I don't think it's genius, but it is the case that he's fallen up several times through his career. That he failed this time doesn't necessarily mean he did it badly. Just means he was attempting the impossible.
yeh if it was impossible then gladstone wouldn't have come back from a) losing a general election and b) resigning as leader of his party. sure it was beyond johnson. but there are many things that are beyond johnson's pitiable capabilities

And I'm not sure he ever did have a The Return card. When the Tories are kicked out, they won't be going back to Johnson. His day is done.
So not really playing the media/political class at all then

yeh if it was impossible then gladstone wouldn't have come back from a) losing a general election and b) resigning as leader of his party. sure it was beyond johnson. but there are many things that are beyond johnson's pitiable capabilities
I can see Johnson coming back after the (probable) Labour Landslide - leading the rump of the Tory party as opposition leader would just about be within his capabilities.

He will blame the defeat on them not having him as a leader - the party will be in shock depending on the scale of the defeat - it'll go to the members unless the 1922 committee has another change of rules - the membership adores Boris.
He might blame the defeat on them not having him as leader, but will anyone be listening to him by then? He may well have been further discredited by the privileges committee by then - and likely have lost his seat. I think things will look very different, even to party members.

The BBC sent out a news alert text thing saying ‘boris has 100 backers’ on Saturday , and only afterwards added that this actually might not be true. Thats absolutely shameful for them, it being based on nothing at all but a tweet from his campaign twat friend.
i hope you've written to richard sharp demanding an apology

The BBC sent out a news alert text thing saying ‘boris has 100 backers’ on Saturday , and only afterwards added that this actually might not be true. Thats absolutely shameful for them, it being based on nothing at all but a tweet from his campaign twat friend.
You have to feel for all the Boris fans who were so certain on Saturday that their man would be on the ballot and would make a magnificent return *

*actually no, #fuck em.

Sky just reported that Sunak now has 183 MPs publicly supporting him, so over half of the 357.

Back
Top Bottom