Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

This week in your Kitchen Garden.

And a dirty great 'ole!

S1050914.JPG

It's about 9" at the near end, and 14" at the far end. The soil got a bit easier.
:)
That's a big hole! :D

Id definitely want to loosen the soil to twice that depth. Roots will have nay chance of getting through that compacted clay otherwise! Unless you are going the raised bed route?

463_12_odlingsb2_600.jpg

That's a big hole! :D

Id definitely want to loosen the soil to twice that depth. Roots will have nay chance of getting through that compacted clay otherwise! Unless you are going the raised bed route?

I think I'll be able to loosen deeper at the far end, but no chance at the near end without a pneumatic drill!

What if I stick to certain plants at the near end? Based on nothing more than a hunch, I'd guess that things like salad leaves, strawberries, other low growing plants don't sink roots to a great depth?

we were given some peas from our neighbours plot and loads of them have pea moths in :( I'm so disappointed

horrid little things those moths/caterpillars are :(

hope the mangetout don't get some :(

we were given some peas from our neighbours plot and loads of them have pea moths in :( I'm so disappointed

horrid little things those moths/caterpillars are :(

hope the mangetout don't get some :(

I think I'll be able to loosen deeper at the far end, but no chance at the near end without a pneumatic drill!

What if I stick to certain plants at the near end? Based on nothing more than a hunch, I'd guess that things like salad leaves, strawberries, other low growing plants don't sink roots to a great depth?

Just to add - I'll probably build it up to a raised bed later on, but I want to get some stuff in whilst I've got the chance before the end of July, and just don't have time (or funds) to get hold of planks etc before then.

Stuff'll still grow won't it? I'm not after winning any prizes at the local fair, just having something tasty with no food miles for the family and I to eat from our own backyard.

That should be fine. Im sure you should also be able to get away with leafy greens, dwarf bean varieties, short rooted, stumpier varieties of root crops- like chantenay carrots, beetroots, or Avonresister parsnip.

That should be fine. Im sure you should also be able to get away with leafy greens, dwarf bean varieties, short rooted, stumpier varieties of root crops- like chantenay carrots, beetroots, or Avonresister parsnip.

I've got 5 packs of seeds to (propagate first and then) plant:

Going from shallow to deep (names quoted from the seed packet), would this be right?

Rocket - mixed
Spinach - picasso f1
Broad Bean - 'dwarf' the sutton
Onion - 'spring' white lisbon winterhardy
Carrot - early nantes 5 - 'early variety to harvest as baby or full size carrots'

Just to add - I'll probably build it up to a raised bed later on, but I want to get some stuff in whilst I've got the chance before the end of July, and just don't have time (or funds) to get hold of planks etc before then.

Stuff'll still grow won't it? I'm not after winning any prizes at the local fair, just having something tasty with no food miles for the family and I to eat from our own backyard.

Make some holes with an iron bar and plant leek seedlings , they break up the soil . or take the irion abr , hammer it in and make a cone type hole , fill it with compost and then plant what you want.

I'm done!

Finished about 21:15, and had a much needed shower.

So, last time, I had a big hole in the garden and a heap of soil.

I ran the hose into it until it was completely sodden gave it as good a dig as I could, then put the turf back in, upside down and cut into small squares (thought that would be better for drainage):

S1050915.JPG

Three bags of compost:

S1050916.JPG

Half of the topsoil replaced, edging put round, then some more compost:

S1050919.JPG

Loads more compost, then most of the rest of the topsoil replaced and pushed in around the edging.

One more bag of compost for luck, the rest of the topsoil, hoed level, and tada - one vegetable patch!

S1050924.JPG

Nice one corax:cool:

I had my first 2 tomatoes last night, beautifully ripened on the vine and so sweet and lush I can't wait for more to ripen. Damn you sun, come back out!!:mad:

I'm done!

Finished about 21:15, and had a much needed shower.

So, last time, I had a big hole in the garden and a heap of soil.

I ran the hose into it until it was completely sodden gave it as good a dig as I could, then put the turf back in, upside down and cut into small squares (thought that would be better for drainage):

S1050915.JPG

Three bags of compost:

S1050916.JPG

Half of the topsoil replaced, edging put round, then some more compost:

S1050919.JPG

Loads more compost, then most of the rest of the topsoil replaced and pushed in around the edging.

One more bag of compost for luck, the rest of the topsoil, hoed level, and tada - one vegetable patch!

S1050924.JPG

Great move to put the turves in upside down as they will rot down and provide some good compost in the soil. You will need to water this patch like mad as bagged compost is very fine and dries out.

What about chinese vegetables ? They will grow right into the frosts as will endive.

Great move to put the turves in upside down as they will rot down and provide some good compost in the soil.
The benefits of googling "making a vegetable patch"! :D

You will need to water this patch like mad as bagged compost is very fine and dries out.
Noted - thanks.

What about chinese vegetables ? They will grow right into the frosts as will endive.
Unfortunately neither of us are too keen on them. I think 5 rows should fit okay across the short dimension. I've bought some packs that all say they're okay to plant between now and September - carrots, spring onions, rocket, spinach and runner beans. Will be filling up my seed trays tonight!

Just the ticket corax. :)

How firm is the bed ?
This time of the year, with dry soil, I'll walk all over it - almost as if I was laying a lawn - you want aerated soil, but not actual voids.

I can't judge the quality of the soil from here, but I would invest in some chicken poo pellets too to give a boost to those hungry crops.

I suspect I've overfed some of my chillies - when repotting them, I mixed a good load of aged manure in with the multipurpose. I now have plants with enormous, beautifully green leaves, but no sign whatsoever of flowers. Is there anything I can do?

Just the ticket corax. :)

How firm is the bed ?
This time of the year, with dry soil, I'll walk all over it - almost as if I was laying a lawn - you want aerated soil, but not actual voids.
I gently walked all over it and then lightly hoed it after putting each layer down, and once when it was finished. Hopefully I struck the right balance between making it firm and compacting it!

I can't judge the quality of the soil from here, but I would invest in some chicken poo pellets too to give a boost to those hungry crops.
I dunno about the quality. It's dark when wet and clumps together, but without getting sticky and muddy. I'll see if I can find some chuck pellets. Not sure if Wilkinsons will have them...!

Bloody hell Corax! You've done a really nice job! Im sure you can sow some of those seeds direct ly into the soil -which will remove a few stages of potting on.

These have popped up next to my line of carrots. Cheeky weeds?
My only hesitation is that they seem to be in some kind of line themselves.

So er yeah, the above turned into these! Is it the opium variety? :D

So er yeah, the above turned into these! Is it the opium variety? :D

Doesn't look like it I'm afraid. It's the big bulbs underneath that give them away. There are loads growing outside my local church..... Or there were last year anyway. Pruning's not an offence officer! ;)

Made very nice tea they did. :cool:

I've got 5 packs of seeds to (propagate first and then) plant:

Going from shallow to deep (names quoted from the seed packet), would this be right?

Rocket - mixed
Spinach - picasso f1
Broad Bean - 'dwarf' the sutton
Onion - 'spring' white lisbon winterhardy
Carrot - early nantes 5 - 'early variety to harvest as baby or full size carrots'

Is anyone able to give me any pointers with my depth conundrum above?

ETA: No worries, I've had some pointers from Spurs Community - I never thought starting a thread about veg gardening would be so popular on a footie forum! :D

I've since learnt that growing white lisbon next to carrots is deters carrot fly, so that's handy.

Ate the first of my sweet peppers this evening. They were still green, and weren't ripe, but I couldn't resist any longer.

Pretty good they were, too. Especially since I baked them with cheese, garlic, tomato and oregano :cool:

Corax- thats brilliant!

It must great to have all those undercover gardeners outing themselves!

---
Where's Sheo?

My beans are now a foot taller than their frame. So far Ive left them to continue twisting around themselves, but will it adversely affect leaf and bean development? I dont want to pinch the tops out.

My beans are now a foot taller than their frame. So far Ive left them to continue twisting around themselves, but will it adversely affect leaf and bean development? I dont want to pinch the tops out.

I've been wondering about this too.
I was looking at my runners last night and thinking should I do anything to them, or just let them carry on.

Can starting seeds off in a propagator ever be the wrong thing to do?

I've sown everything (spring onions, carrots, rocket, spinach, cauliflower) into seed trays with propagator lids in some compost in the hope that they'll germinate quicker than straight into the soil, and I can make more use of the year's remaining sun...

S1050926.JPG

In the meantime I've dug some chicken crap into the patch. I never would have thought I'd be typing that sentence.

Are they sown straight into the trays ?
If so, how many have you sown of each ?

Carrots are a bit iffy I'm afraid - they don't transplant well. Not sure about onions either.

I would be going for small pots or modules - or even peat pots ...

And this time of year, the propagator covers will make for some scary temperature swings ...
I would take them indoors. You don't even need light.

My own salad / pak choi bed just isn't happening, but if it does, the carrots and beetroot will probably be sown direct. pak choi and salad indoors in peat pots.

Where's Sheo?

I am here!

Have had millions of things to do with the kids finishing school etc (parents eves, going through books, end of year concerts, school fairs, discos etc...Jesus Christ I feel like I've been permanently at, or coming and going from, the schools for the last couple of weeks!) then I had to spend a couple of days adjusting to the new look site! :oops:

Had a mad evening at a bbq we had a few nights back when we noticed a mass exodus of flying ants from several places I hadn't even realised they'd taken up in!
Fucking mad!
Massive swarms leaving from the crack in the compost bin flap, a strawberry pot planted with flowers and a crack along the side of a step!
Hundreds of the bastards!

This was just a couple of days after I finally organised myself to put the powder down on the herb bed and I'd just been congratulating myself for having got rid of that nest. :facepalm:

Ex reckons it's supposed to be a sign of good weather - and it has been good since, but there agin, he also talks a load of bollocks sometimes AS WE ALL KNOW (ANTS/APHIDS etc!!!)!!!

My MELONS (LOL) are fucked!
Realised I was supposed to be pinching out shoots or tips or whatever far too late.....MAAAAAASIVE FACEPALM!!!.....so ended up being brave and chucking one very straggly lot (won't be bothering doing them or courgettes in grow bags again!) and blindly hacked away at the ones in the greenhouse just incase :hmm: They all had lots of male flowers but no females at all, so I'm still keeping an eye out but am not very hopeful.

All a learning curve though - will remember NEXT year, at least!

My winter and summer squash weren't setting either, so I've done a bit of hand pollinating and think I have some good uns now.
Funny cos there's plenty of bees about!?!
Hadn't realised that the courgettes/squash going mouldy just meant the females hadn't been polinated until I read your posts....sound! :cool:

They're also all looking very yellow and tatty - don't know if that's poor soil, lack of or over watering/feeding, or just the effect of the aphids, but they're still hanging in there so apart from continuing to spray, I can't be fucked to worry about it too much.

My brassicas (caulis, sprouts and psb) are getting badly muched by cabbage butterfly larvae too :-( - can't keep up with them (squishing the bigger ones is particularly gross too, eh? <vom> ) - was discussing putting my carpentry 'skills' to use for next year and building a massive net frame over the whole main bed (it's surrounded by fence on two sides and already has two solid posts in on a third that my ex stuck in for me to fix wires to to train the pear cordon along).

It seems to me that I like the growing and obv, the eating, but I have no patience for the various bug problems!

I'm also waging a new war on the cats :mad: - found a whole new load of shit in the front the other day and I'm fucking sick of picking it up, so I went out in my pj's the other evening and got caught by my neighbour (not the cat owners) angrily plunging sticks in all over the bed.

I've also bought some lemon balm and rue seeds (neither of which can apparently be planted now...grrrrr) and a sonic doodah which had reasonably good reviews on Amazon which I'm going to try.

I just know it won't work and I'll see them out there straight away, staring right back at me, lol, but I'll feel like I'm doing something, DAMMIT!

But if it does work I'll buy another for the back too...MWAHAHAHAAAA!

Have seen some succulents I'd like to plant out there too, but don't have the time or money just now, plus they'll take a while to spread too, so for the time being, the sticks stay!

Strawbs, french beans, tomatoes, pepper, chilli, sweetcorn, parsnips and aubergines all doing fine...can't WAIT for the toms to ripen - I'm SOOOO excited!!! <does a wee>
My daughter has suddenly decided she loves them as much as her brother too, which is great seeing as how I have 17 plants hehe!

Planted some more spinach, lettuce and pak choi. Oh and coriander, holy basil and chives.
Dried the last of my peas and may do more pea shoots with those.
Beetroot's growing but mostly very slowly....not sure what's going on there (although I may just have bought a small variety and forgotten - will have to check the packet).

My biggest sunflower is over 2 metres tall (by a fair bit I'd say)! Beautiful dark red one - I love them!

Will try and remember to take some photos tomorrow actually.

Errrrrr - think that's it (fucking hell, how long is this post?!?)!

Ahhhhhhh nooooooooooo - have just made some redcurrant, blackcurrant and raspberry cordial and some piccalilli (shop bought cauli and onions I'm afraid, but beans all mine).

That's defo it now - apologies for banging on (and on)! :-p

Corax - that's a FANTASTIC job!!! Looks like hard work - well done and I hope you get stuff growing soon!

Back
Top Bottom