Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

This week in your Kitchen Garden.

Quick question....spraying is not really working at eliminating the aphids on my squash/courgette plants. :mad:

I bought some Bayer organic bug free stuff, but although it's recommended for use on 'selected fruit and vegetables (inc beans/toms/caulis amongst others) it doesn't specify use on squashes/courgettes :facepalm: ....anyone know if it'd do? :hmm:

It's a 'fatty acid' spray, which I know prunus mentioned as being worth a try - but I don't want to get all gung-ho with it till I know it's safe!

yup, it perfectly safe:):) All it really is apparently is the same stuff thats in liquid hand soap, diluted down:) about 1:10

I wont be spending £££ on another bottle when this one runs out

What so it's the same as the 2% washing up liquid dilution I've been using? :hmm: :facepalm:

Or not?! :D

It says NOT to use it on sweet peas....and something else..... :hmm:

I'm just wondering whether to bite the bullet and fuck all the lightweight stuff off and buy some of the Provado stuff, see - and I'm planning on going to B&Q tomorrow morning.

Quick question....spraying is not really working at eliminating the aphids on my squash/courgette plants.

I bought some Bayer organic bug free stuff, but although it's recommended for use on 'selected fruit and vegetables (inc beans/toms/caulis amongst others) it doesn't specify use on squashes/courgettes ....anyone know if it'd do?

It's a 'fatty acid' spray, which I know prunus mentioned as being worth a try - but I don't want to get all gung-ho with it till I know it's safe!

It's not the same brand as I've used but it sounds the same - I've found it *much* more effective than diluted soap sprays. In that it actually works :facepalm: :D Is fine on courgettes.

yup, it perfectly safe:):) All it really is apparently is the same stuff thats in liquid hand soap, diluted down:) about 1:10

I wont be spending £££ on another bottle when this one runs out

I'm not sure it's exactly the same - it might be of course, and it probably very similar, but the stuff I've got smells foul and rancid, and you wouldn't want to use it as a hand soap. I could just look at the label, but it isn't to hand. Sheo - what does yours say is the active ingredient (beyond 'natural fatty acids' which isn't all that useful)?

well no, not 'exactly' the same but apparently the same mix of fatty acids is in both... the hand soap would have perfumes and so on ( thickeners etc I guess) in it too:)

It's not the same brand as I've used but it sounds the same - I've found it *much* more effective than diluted soap sprays. In that it actually works :facepalm: :D Is fine on courgettes.

I'm not sure it's exactly the same - it might be of course, and it probably very similar, but the stuff I've got smells foul and rancid, and you wouldn't want to use it as a hand soap. I could just look at the label, but it isn't to hand. Sheo - what does yours say is the active ingredient (beyond 'natural fatty acids' which isn't all that useful)?

Prunus! :cool: :D

Ah hang on - have to go and unlock downstairs...... :hmm:

Actually, Prunus spp. (plums and cherries particularly) are some of the thing you shouldn't use it on it appears.

So stay away from me with that thing :mad:

It doesn't say! :eek:

Only reference is 'Contains 2% w/w natural fatty acids as a ready to use aqueous formulation'... :hmm:

Says it's 'for use on ornamental garden plants, tomatoes, peas and beans, cabbage, caulis, lettuce, cucumber and fruit trees (inc apples, pears and blackcurrants). Do NOT use on new transplants until established. Do not use on sweet peas or begonias.'

There's a helpline number so maybe I should just call them first?

Also, it says it's not harmful to kids and animals once dry.....so not only do I have to contend with picking next doors cats shit up, I also have to make sure they don't come under the gate while I'm spraying (I'm actually training the squashes across it in an attempt to keep them out*, since it's their main route into the garden :facepalm: )! :mad:

Just picked a new load up from the front too (and there's more there - I couldn't see it under the woodchip, but I could fucking smell it :mad: - made some redcurrant and lemonade today, so dumped the lemons there as well as shit loads of chilli flakes :mad: )! BASTARDS! :mad:

*It's not working at all so far, lol!

Only reference is 'Contains 2% w/w natural fatty acids as a ready to use aqueous formulation'... :hmm:

Says it's 'for use on ornamental garden plants, tomatoes, peas and beans, cabbage, caulis, lettuce, cucumber and fruit trees (inc apples, pears and blackcurrants). Do NOT use on new transplants until established. Do not use on sweet peas or begonias.'

There's no harm in calling them, but I've used it on courgettes with no ill effects. Eaten some of them now, as well, and I feel fine. Well, apart from the unexpected metamorphosis of course.

cucumber's the same family as corgettes, so it should be fine.

besides, you've bought it now;)

Excellent - won't bother calling them then and will give it a go this evening. :cool:

LMHF - I'm not worried about them licking it as such, it's just that they literally squeeze through it all now that it's trailing all over the gate :rolleyes: iyswim....would be more getting it all over THEMSELVES (then licking! :D). Stupid cats!

Shouldn't take long to dry though, tbf! :hmm:

We had a short but heavy rain burst this morning, so everything has had a good soaking at last (my lawn is looking SHIT..really needs a bit more of that)! :cool:

hehe Im sure theyve all licked worse than a bit of soap, at worst they'll puke a bit but mine does that whenever hes eaten something a bit icky anyway!:D

I must get out in the garden with the camera today. I stand out there every morning in my PJ's looking at how lovely the flowers are on the beans, pumpkins and courgettes... there was a huge bumble bee in a courgette flower this morning and I missed it:facepalm: it had gone by the time I grabbed the camera

Yeah - in the morning, before the kids are up, nice cup of tea - defo my fave time too. :cool:

I took some pics yesterday, but getting them off the phone and onto the pc is another matter altogether. :rolleyes:

Anyway - I'm back off to B&Q now.....<sigh>

Do butternut squashes (the fruit themselves) need to get any sun, please? I'm wondering whether it's involved in their ripening. I've got several fruit appearing now, but at least one is on a long, trailing vine that's snuck below the decking, out of the sun.

Do butternut squashes (the fruit themselves) need to get any sun, please? I'm wondering whether it's involved in their ripening. I've got several fruit appearing now, but at least one is on a long, trailing vine that's snuck below the decking, out of the sun.

They do, really, yes - usually one goes so far as to remove leaves shading the ripening fruit for just that reason. I'd cut the vine leading to the one under the decking, so the plant doesn't waste resources trying to ripen it. It'll make more, usually one has to stop them after 4 or 6 have set to maximise yield on those.

It's a good idea to nip out shoots, but I would never remove leaves - they're the powerhouse and energy store for the plant.

Actually, that goes for all of you. More pics please. :D
Im attempting to redesign our garden- it backs onto a sweeping curved copse and so is oddly shaped. The bit nearest the house is in ok order and I'll do it up last. It a bit cottagey with a fair number of pots and grass and not very me. There are recent photos on the flowering fireworks thread.

Ive painted the side of the house facing the large trees because it was so dark and planted roses, jasmine, clematis up one side, and Virginia Creepers up a massive, ugly gable end wall.

Im renovating the upper part of the garden, sown a new lawn and increased the size of the beds.

Some of the paved areas are now planted up- I dug in compost and set out new beds and a path- mixing veg and flowers all planted in tiers/ layers.

There are courgettes, cucumber, parsnips, broccoli, toms and carrots in this photo- as well as a lilly, crocosmia, bergenia, above them are Jasmine and climbing roses.

There is a tremendous amount of work to do removing crazy paving, raised beds and hugely over grown shrubs. Plus chicken corner is taking shape slowly.

Looking good Melinda - I like the idea of mixing up flowers and veg.

We've had lots of rain over the last few days, it's been nice not to have to traipse up and down the garden with watering cans.

We ate the first of (what I'm sure will be many, many, many) runner beans last night. The borlotti beans are looking good - very pretty with their purple pods. I'm still undecided whether to eat them as they are, or leave them on the plant for the beans inside to develop.

After eating the first few courgettes I'm regretting not planting more of them, they're delicious. Deffo planting more of them next year.

Loads of toms developing, but none ripe yet.

Are yours BBC dig in courgettes Boatie? All my flowers thus far have been male- after checking their site lots of people are saying the same thing. Female flowers are turning up much later. Never mind- I plan on making tempura with these male flowers- stuffing them with something lush.

These are my reserve squash, Ive not really looked after them and they are a week or two behind the lot much nearer the house. There is also broccoli, parsnip and some pak choi. Sweetpeas and beans share the frame (a disused clothes rack).

This is me attempting to grow a passion flower up a old apple tree.

garden028.jpg

The smaller of two potato patches. I pulled up two plants, a few potatoes were fist size, the rest were new potato size.

Courgette, fuchsia dahlias and lavender

garden076.jpg

One of several junk corners, but its the least worst! I giggled so much about showing the world my horrendous (but strictly separated!) piles of stone, brick, logs and topsoil.

garden079.jpg

Are yours BBC dig in courgettes Boatie? All my flowers thus far have been male- after checking their site lots of people are saying the same thing. Female flowers are turning up much later. Never mind- I plan on making tempura with these male flowers- stuffing them with something lush.

They could be the BBC ones, someone at work gave them to me as they had too many.
How can you tell the male from the female flower?
Is it a good idea to remove the male flowers to encourage more female ones?

The female flower has a baby courgette behind it waiting for pollination. Th male flower stem is much thinner.

courgette-male-female-flower-identification.jpg

From reading around it seems to take a while for the plant to get its flowers in synch. You can take the males off or leave them to it! The girls will be around soon enough.

Back
Top Bottom