Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

This week in your Kitchen Garden.

iirc you did the potato planter thing too didn't you LMHF?
We harvested ours last night with a similarly pitiful result :(

Did you feed yours with anything?
We gave them a bit of tomato food weekly, but only for the last month or so.

Oh well, there's always next year

So are you meant to pinch out chillis and peppers too, so that they don't grow too tall and floppy? Encourages bushyness doesn't it? :hmm: :oops: :D

It depends how tall they get. Generally they won't need it, but if they don't get much sun, they tend to go long and floppy, which happened to my chillies last year.

It depends how tall they get. Generally they won't need it, but if they don't get much sun, they tend to go long and floppy, which happened to my chillies last year.

Not just the chillis ey? ho ho ho :cool::D

Yours are fine but some of my sweet peppers are a bit tall :)

Ive just got back from a weekend away to find little runner and broad beans have developed... one lot of my tomatoes is looking decidedly droopy so im going to plant them into a growbag... the courgettes have exploded size wise ( thanks to masterfit and his regular peeing expenditions I suspect) and the pumpkins and filled the space I was going to use for cabbages so I guess the cabbages will be going into tubs

Im going to get planting more salad leaves although the window box of lettuce I have is fine, I want some more interesting stuff..
My broccolli, cucumber and pak choi seeds havent germinated :-(

does widdling on courgettes help?

if it does, you may have found a solution to one of my problems.

widdling on courgettes makes them positively explode with joy:eek:
Yup boatie, it was a potato planter bag. Im going to try again with some late spuds, ready for Christmas. I didnt feed mine til the other week either, didnt know to.

Not just the chillis ey? ho ho ho :cool::D

Yours are fine but some of my sweet peppers are a bit tall :)

I knew I should have rephrased that :mad:

Pinch out the growing tips, and yep - that should help them get bushier.

They may just be faster-growing plants, though. My sweet pepper plants are nearly three feet tall now, but still properly bushy with it.

widdling on courgettes makes them positively explode with joy:eek:
Yup boatie, it was a potato planter bag. Im going to try again with some late spuds, ready for Christmas. I didnt feed mine til the other week either, didnt know to.

I vaguely fancy trying this, but the courgettes are growing on my neighbours' roof terrace.

I'd hate to meet their eye, halfway through a piss, cock in hand, when they go to the kitchen to do the washing up.

What's the shame quotient of almost getting caught peeing into an ice cream carton by a builder putting up scaffolding?

Im not really overlooked in most of the garden and so may have become a little complacent. ahem.
*burns with shame*

Broccoli

Im making little carpet collars for them - probably a bit late.

Also something is munching the broccoli midribs. It looks like someone has taken an eraser and rubbed the colour out of the leaves- and always in the same spot. I'll pop out and take a photo.

Holes in leaves too- Ive not been as attentive as I should have. Is it cabbage white? Ive not seen any... Lots of brown and red butterflies though.

Squidge what though? :D Ive just looked beneath the leaves and found nothing.

Bloody brassicas! I knew they'd be trouble, I blame Jamie Oliver and his too tasty broccoli cannelloni recipe.

Is it hollow or just delaminated ?

By that stage it's probably pupated and dropped off to metamorphose - or been eaten by a bird ...

The leaf doesnt appear to be hollow.

Ive just realised there was the same leaf damage in this pic taken last week when I spotted this bird (still unidentified!). Its the same area and a very birdy corner, I seldom get up there.

Ooof I really dont feel like doing battle with any more animals! Fuck it, let them have the broccoli!

The urge has taken me to start growing my own veg. I've got a small bit of the garden earmarked, about 2m x 1m. I'm going to dig it out, fill it with compost, and get a couple of 'multi-cloches'. I don't really do gardening, and I've never grown anything before apart from some carrots when I was about 8!

Planning to start with early purple sprouting brocolli and maybe some broad beans (how high do these grow?). What else can I plant between now and October?

Subscribed to the thread, so hopefully urban can hold my hand!

iirc you did the potato planter thing too didn't you LMHF?
We harvested ours last night with a similarly pitiful result :(

Potato update.
They may have been small, they may have been few, but WOW were they delicious. Simply steamed with a smidge of butter melted over them - one of the nicest things I've eaten in a long time.

Same here, we had ours with roast chicken and salad ( we grew the lettuce and herbs)

Im wondering what variety to grow next, Im thinking some new potatoes for Christmas/autumn would be lovely

I gambled 64p on two rather sad-looking lemon grasses and have had them in a jar of water with my aquarium bubbler since the weekend and there may be movement - looks like it's stirring. :)

I'd like to get a decent book on veg growing too. I know the info's all on t'intermaweb, but I like books.

John Harrison's Vegetable Growing Month by Month is very popular on Amazon, but doesn't have any photos. I don't want a coffee-table book, but a few pretty pictures to inspire me would be nice. Has anyone got any recommendations?

At the moment I'm thinking of getting the one above, and the RHS' Grow Your Own Veg to go with it, but buying two books on something I've not even started doing seems a bit extravagant!

Im a BIG faan of john Harrisons books. Having no pics really isnt a problem, given that the net is a mine of useful pics its great to have a no nonsense book which explains how best to do things, no nonsense or gimmicks or promos for things... just good advice.

I also have another one on economical living by him.:) Ive bought a couple of copies of grow your own mag too, theyve been useful

I bought my dad a great allotment book, i will ask him tomorrow what one.

Melinda, please can we have more photos of your garden? I feel very nosey and suspect from various snaps i have seen, its a goodun :)

Back
Top Bottom