Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

This Morning. Phillip comes out as gay.

It doesn't matter to me one way or the other and I don't watch his show, I do know that he is is a public figure, but I don't really understand why I need to know his sexuality. I suppose what I'm wondering is why he felt the need to tell his story publicly?

It doesn't matter to me one way or the other and I don't watch his show, I do know that he is is a public figure, but I don't really understand why I need to know his sexuality. I suppose what I'm wondering is why he felt the need to tell his story publicly?
4 pages in, and it takes a man of weltweit's calibre to ask the question on the tips of all our our tongues, and yet which no-one was brave enough to ask.

Assuming he wasn't pressured into it, if he cops off with, or dates a bloke, then he would be outed by the media. There'd be gossip and speculation and it wouldn't be on his terms.

Assuming he wasn't pressured into it, if he cops off with, or dates a bloke, then he would be outed by the media. There'd be gossip and speculation and it wouldn't be on his terms.
Yes Reno you make a good point, I hadn't thought of that angle. And on your first point I do hope he wasn't pressured into it. That would be really scummy.

do it on his own terms maybe? Rather than the papers putting a sordid ''he lied about hi sexuality'' twist on it.

They all look the same these ageing male presenters

JXJEnng9wdT9opXbO1ldiNeZlkm0JfjuxqOJHdhAMrry7Jvb5XUOM8B8cdF2EIdXK_SLbokkQsR1a0zF1ASg-vGKzmupzvowbX_OWGFZ

Good job they're not MPs
Well, that doesn't say mid-life crisis at all.

Reactions: tim
I remember back in his broom cupboard days there was lots of chat at school about whether or not he was gay. I think it probably started when he got hugely into Dusty Springfield and sang Downtown virtually every day until it finally got re-released and got in the charts. Obvs I'm well aware that sexuality and campness are only partially connected, but it was literally a man singing Dusty Springfield songs in a closet. 😁

OK. Why should his sexuality matter to any other person than himself and his partner? I really don’t care that much.

Now if it had been Prince Philip...

You like much older men??

Yes, I'm often a bit flummoxed by people deciding that they're gay or bi after lots of years of heterosexual marriage and offspring. Still, quite a lot of people do, including one of my brothers. Luckily, any slight befuddlement I might have is not their problem, really. I should imagine television is not the most challenging industry in which to come out, but good luck to him anyway. We have only one life to live, after all.

There are loads of gay television presenters. Dating back as long as I can remember. I don't think it would have effected (affected?) his career that much but I'm sure dear Pippy had his reasons.

The show he hosts is a clearing house for shit right wing talking points and culture war bullshit. The show he hosts is helping to further poison the political environment in the UK.

I hope that the process he is going through personally will help him realise that people and situations are complex and contradictory, so he is less ready to be a cheerleader for simplistic tabloid views and judgements. But I won't hold my breath.
Your points might be valid. I don't know his programme, but if it's some kind of daytime chatter thing, high chance it is as you describe. On your second point, we can hope, but if he is well paid for promoting tabloid views...

Yes, I'm often a bit flummoxed by people deciding that they're gay or bi after lots of years of heterosexual marriage and offspring.

to quote someone who came up on my tweeter feed -

"People who are LGBT+ are made to feel wrong & unwelcome from a young age.

If they go on to make certain life choices, IT’S BECAUSE THE WORLD TELLS THEM THEY HAVE TO.

They don’t try to deceive anyone"

worth remembering it's not much more than 50 years ago that gay male same sex activity was decriminalised in England and Wales (less than 30 years ago in Scotland and N Ireland) and the general environment is still not universally gay friendly.

From my perspective, I think a heck of a lot more people are (to some extent) bi than will generally admit it - there is also some negativity towards people who are (or appear to be) bi within the 'gay community'

There are loads of gay television presenters. Dating back as long as I can remember. I don't think it would have effected (affected?) his career that much but I'm sure dear Pippy had his reasons.

An out children's TV presenter in the 1980s? That would not have been easy.

It's might not be an issue for TV presenters in general, but it would have been harder for a kids' TV presenter in the 80s, with section 28 and all. Course, there are other reasons that people don't come out even if they realise early on, not just job reasons.

Back
Top Bottom