Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Phillip Schofield leaves This Morning

He made his living from being on telly, all smiley and chatty, acting like he was our friend, pretending, pretending. We're all quite capable of being dishonest, by lying or withholding the truth, but being discovered, found out, is particularly bad for reputations. Blair was criticised for his Iraq policy, but what really got people was not so much the hundreds of thousands of deaths but the fact that he lied about weapons of mass destruction. I'm not putting Schofield in the same category as Blair, but that's what annoys people. If he lied about this, then what else is he lying about?
But don't all tv presenters put on an act? They're hardly going to say something like "I'm in a right bad mood today and I hate you stupid fuckers" are they?

But why is any issue between him and his ex wife a matter for public debate, speculation, and derision? It's a private matter, between them.

If he made vows with anyone, it was with her, not with us. I don't get why anyone else thinks it is a problem that affects them.
It is a private matter. Though from what has been made public both her and her kids have been supportive of Mr Schofield. (On top of the support and sympathy Mr Schofield illicited via his employer).

As much as I agree with Dan Walker's recent tweet on the subject, it's them, the wife and kids whom have my genuine sympathy.

UK. Legal bit, if you don't have an imaginary friend and want to get married in his (always his) club house this is what you have to say. You can add anything else (maybe not anything) you like.

I am now going to ask each of you in turn to declare that you know of no legal reason you may not be married to each other.

Are you (Partner 1’s name) free lawfully to marry (Partner 2’s name)?

Partner 1: I am.

Are you (Partner 2’s name) free lawfully to marry (Partner 1’s name)?

Partner 2: I am.

Now that you have both declared that you are free to marry, we have come to the part of the ceremony where you take each other as husband/wife and husband/wife. Please repeat after me:

I, (Partner 1’s name), take you (Partner 2’s name), to be my wedded wife/husband.

I, (Partner 2’s name) take you (Partner 1’s name), to be my wedded wife/husband.

But don't all tv presenters put on an act? They're hardly going to say something like "I'm in a right bad mood today and I hate you stupid fuckers" are they?

I remember James Whale doing that right back when he had a late night Friday TV show and lets not forget Pierce Morgan flouncing live on air 😆

I don't know about TV presenters, but I put on my happy face every time I walk into a classroom.

As to Schofield, he had sexual relations with someone 40 years younger than him for whom he had found a job. That should be considered unacceptable, as should the horrible media hounding that Schofield is now experiencing.

I don't know about TV presenters, but I put on my happy face every time I walk into a classroom.

As to Schofield, he had sexual relations with someone 40 years younger than him for whom he had found a job. That should be considered unacceptable, as should the horrible media hounding that Schofield is now experiencing.

I want to agree with the whole of this, but I have a reservation:

If this wasn't Schofield, but was the Chief of the General staff with an 18/20yo junior soldier, or a Tory MP with a parliamentary researcher, or a Headteacher in Kidderminster, would we be describing this as 'hounding', or this simply be accountability?

Do we judge the actions of people simply on what they did, or is it about who they are and the industries they are in?

If it was a Home Secretary, would we be seeing #BeKind, or would the pitchforks be out in good style?

CGS earns rather less than a quarter that Schofield. A Tory MP earns less than an 1/8th, a Headteacher would probably be on less than 10%.

If this wasn't Schofield, but was the Chief of the General staff with an 18/20yo junior soldier, or a Tory MP with a parliamentary researcher, or a Headteacher in Kidderminster, would we be describing this as 'hounding', or this simply be accountability?

Do we judge the actions of people simply on what they did, or is it about who they are and the industries they are in?

If it was a Home Secretary, would we be seeing #BeKind, or would the pitchforks be out in good style?

CGS earns rather less than a quarter that Schofield. A Tory MP earns less than an 1/8th, a Headteacher would probably be on less than 10%.
Guess when it comes to the Home Secretary versus the presenter, the former tend to shaft a multitude while the latter (allegedly) a handful.

Not that it's to be condoned if the worse allegations are true.

Reactions: tim
I'm not justifying, just observing people's reactions. If TV watchers feel a close relationship with a particular presenter they may well, at some level, feel a personal betrayal which would not be there for some politician.

MP Jerry Hayes was reported by the News of the World in 1997 to have had an affair with an 18-year old male A-level student (when the age of consent was 21), for whom he also paid travel expenses and obtained a parliamentary pass. He got a lot more sympathetic coverage than Schofield has had.

I'm not justifying, just observing people's reactions. If TV watchers feel a close relationship with a particular presenter they may well, at some level, feel a personal betrayal which would not be there for some politician.
It’s an odd world where is TV presenter is held to a greater standard than the a member or parliament.

MP Jerry Hayes was reported by the News of the World in 1997 to have had an affair with an 18-year old male A-level student (when the age of consent was 21), for whom he also paid travel expenses and obtained a parliamentary pass. He got a lot more sympathetic coverage than Schofield has had.

And do you think that was, or should be now, appropriate?

It's because Thou shalt not commit adultery, is one of the ten commandments. It's all very biblical. It's a biblical way of describing someone who cheats on their husband or wife.

But then marriage is a biblical invention I think. So maybe if you get married, you should also follow the 10 commandments. I dunno.

Commit, meaning to comit a crime. Adultery is still a crime in other cultures. Here it's a values statement I suppose. In other cultures bigamy is still legal. But it's a crime here.

It's why we don't say " committed suicide" any more. Thoughts, words, language.. usually preceded an overdue change in attitude.

🙂
I read that book! He dies at the end , but there's a twist

Nick Cohen was writing articles for the Observer and elsewhere for years after women said he was sexually assaulting and harassing them, and still he hasn't been fully held to account for what he's been doing. Looks like it's only coming out in (some parts of) the British press since the NYT reported on it the other day. I'm a bit surprised Urbs are talking more about Schofield.

Nick Cohen was writing articles for the Observer and elsewhere for years after women said he was sexually assaulting and harassing them, and still he hasn't been fully held to account for what he's been doing. Looks like it's only coming out in (some parts of) the British press since the NYT reported on it the other day. I'm a bit surprised Urbs are talking more about Schofield.
One is a ‘National Treasure’ whilst the other isn’t I guess.

There's less to say about Cohen because he's clearly a disgusting sex pest. The Schofield case is less clear cut so there's more to argue about.

It all comes down to trust. If someone has been lying to himself, his family, the general public or whoever for a very long time, for whatever reason, they will have difficulty being believed and finding sympathy. If they also are in a role where their entire working life they pretend things in front of the whole country, or those unfortunate enough to watch them, then that difficulty increases exponentially. And they earn an awful lot of money. That's what does it.
LOLOL this post again. KTB's greatest hit.

Back
Top Bottom