Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Phillip Schofield leaves This Morning

That's a dangerous allegation to make, the kind of thing you'd see from the far right commentators that puts people in danger.

It's fair to say that the BBC made mistakes and handled it poorly, but to make that jump into complicity is heading into irresponsible territory.
It’s a public corporation, not a person. How it is dangerous? :confused:
It’s a fact they cancelled Liz MacKean’s investigation. It’s also a fact that they knew Huw Edwards had been charged with possessing images of children being raped and gave him a pay rise after that.

What would you call it?

ETA and it’s not just the BBC. All of these heinous powerful men have been enabled and propped up by institutions who valued the men more than the women and children who have had their lives ruined

It’s a public corporation, not a person. How it is dangerous? :confused:
It’s a fact they cancelled Liz MacKean’s investigation. It’s also a fact that they knew Huw Edwards had been charged with possessing images of children being raped and gave him a pay rise after that.

What would you call it?

ETA and it’s not just the BBC. All of these heinous powerful men have been enabled and propped up by institutions who valued the men more than the women and children who have had their lives ruined

When far right (not you, obviously) twitter types post up shit about the BBC, it affects ordinary staff who can be targeted going into BBC premises. The thousands of rank and file workers there have nothing to do with the upper echelons and so-called talent within the BBC. Personally, I dont care about the management who have shown to be oblivious and uncaring - at the very least - when it comes to abuses like this. Its an insult and shocking that Edwards would get a pay rise after the abuse. Totally agree with you there. They do need calling out.

There needs to be an urgent change in such institutions to act upon such abuses immediately, rather than rush to use damge limitations and cover ups.

But I do believe that blaming an entire workforce - most of whom would be unaware of the wrong uns - is unfair.

Am in no shape or form excusing the behaviour of abusers or those in power who would rather such things be swept under the carpet. As you say, its not just confined to insitutions like the BBC.

Yes institutions will go into self preservation mode see police forces, hospitals, the military, universities etc
What is weird is that this is not really the best method for self preservation, quite the opposite most of the time.

A very differnt scale but this really struck me with the SWP, Martin Smith mess. The best thing for the SWP to do to protect itself would have been to turn hard against Smith and expel him as soon as they could.

Instead they opted for the same institutional self preservation tactic we always see which resulted in Smith having to leave anyway, something like almost half the membership also leaving in disgust and a massive hit to their reputation.

Last edited:
Fair enough. Theres no doubt it needs a serious shake up and management need to be held accountable for their actions and lack of actions.
I'm not replying to you krtek a houby/this post to specifically take issue with what you said. It's more out of your exchange with trashpony and to suggest that the word complicit is the right one. It's a tricky one because institutions like the BBC weren't actively complicit as in involved in the rapes of savile and the rest. However, their processes, club-ishness for (particularly male) 'talent', their refusal to listen to victims and employees who complained, certainly adds up to complicit in my book. The way the hierarchy systematically refused to listen to victims, the overriding concern with keeping the programmes churning out and the refusal to deal with abusers was the cornerstone of the BBC and others behaved. Every one of these 'scandals' only ever became something they even attempted to get on the right side of when the level of bad publicity reached a tipping point. Ditto Harrods, the Met, the BMA and all the rest. For me, a systematic failure to deal with rape and abuse is complicity.

It's certainly a shit responsibility from management. An awful way to deal with the horrors.

Thing is, the BBC is not all about the "talent" and management.

There's more everyday workers there than most realise. And I believe that lumping them in with the upper echelons is unfair. They don't get a say in the running of the institution. And many of them would be horrified and angry by the actions/inactions of management.

So, that's why I personally believe it's incorrect to say that the BBC ( as a whole) is complicit.

It's certainly a shit responsibility from management. An awful way to deal with the horrors.

Thing is, the BBC is not all about the "talent" and management.

There's more everyday workers there than most realise. And I believe that lumping them in with the upper echelons is unfair. They don't get a say in the running of the institution. And many of them would be horrified and angry by the actions/inactions of management.

So, that's why I personally believe it's incorrect to say that the BBC ( as a whole) is complicit.
I don't think anyone is doing this. It's about senior management and corporate governance of these institutions, the culture that creates and the rest. And it's also, of course, about a wider societal problem, where people without power are not believed and are treated like shit.

An institution is a very complex thing to pin down. What is the “institution”? It can’t just be the collection of people it contains, because those people don’t have the ability to achieve the same acts outside the institutional setting than they can inside it. So there is something else too.

I know a bunch of writers who now describe an institution as an action, rather than as a body. Institutional actions exert power relations — I.e., they influence what people do. They do so via a perpetuating loop of internalising group norms as symbolic resources, using those resources to create dispositions, those dispositions being externalised as individual behaviours and those individual behaviours being normalised.

By that definition, the institution of the BBC is something that exists separately from the people who work there (ALL the people, including individual managers) and yet is also of those people (ALL the people, including low-level workers). And that institution is absolutely culpable for its systemic effects, even though no individuals are necessarily to “blame”.

I've just turned over to 5+1 cos I want to watch the thing that is on afterwards, and this Castaway thing just seems (OK I've only watched 5 minutes of the middle of the thing so I might have got this wrong and will be happy to stand corrected) like a massively self indulgent self pity thing.
I mean jesus christ he's delivering a speech to the crabs on the shoreline.
He's not doing himself any favours I don't think.
Is there no-one that could have advised him that this was a really bad idea?

I've just turned over to 5+1 cos I want to watch the thing that is on afterwards, and this Castaway thing just seems (OK I've only watched 5 minutes of the middle of the thing so I might have got this wrong and will be happy to stand corrected) like a massively self indulgent self pity thing.
Yep your right. It's been "poor me" for the last two nights. Why stop now.
Also, he seems very deluded about why he's had all this crap. Nooo Phil. It wasn't because of your brother. 🤔 Although granted. That didn't help.

I didnt want to watch it but I wanted to hear whether it confirmed suspicions about personality type and 'sorry not sorry' stuff. So I watched this review instead:

I didnt want to watch it but I wanted to hear whether it confirmed suspicions about personality type and 'sorry not sorry' stuff. So I watched this review instead:

I accidentally saw about 30 seconds (long enough to basically go “is that Schofield?!), and safe to say he wasn’t coming across well.

That's a dangerous allegation to make, the kind of thing you'd see from the far right commentators that puts people in danger.

It's fair to say that the BBC made mistakes and handled it poorly, but to make that jump into complicity is heading into irresponsible territory.

When far right (not you, obviously) twitter types post up shit about the BBC, it affects ordinary staff who can be targeted going into BBC premises. The thousands of rank and file workers there have nothing to do with the upper echelons and so-called talent within the BBC. Personally, I dont care about the management who have shown to be oblivious and uncaring - at the very least - when it comes to abuses like this. Its an insult and shocking that Edwards would get a pay rise after the abuse. Totally agree with you there. They do need calling out.

There needs to be an urgent change in such institutions to act upon such abuses immediately, rather than rush to use damge limitations and cover ups.

But I do believe that blaming an entire workforce - most of whom would be unaware of the wrong uns - is unfair.

Am in no shape or form excusing the behaviour of abusers or those in power who would rather such things be swept under the carpet. As you say, its not just confined to insitutions like the BBC.

So, just tbc, your first post was both wrong and inappropriately directed?

Back
Top Bottom