Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Phillip Schofield leaves This Morning

You should take heed of some of you own advice.

Whats is wrong with it when someone married ? Genuine question! If it's offensive then i stand corrected and am sorry but what word am i supposed to use in this situation? I'm defensive because i've been accused of being homophobic because of the way i've wordred something. I certainly was'nt intended to offend or seen as moral judgements. I will have a good think about what i've posted, i'm fine with being pulled up, it's how we learn. It's the assumptions being made and being labelled and catergorized that i'm not fine with.

It's because Thou shalt not commit adultery, is one of the ten commandments. It's all very biblical. It's a biblical way of describing someone who cheats on their husband or wife.

But then marriage is a biblical invention I think. So maybe if you get married, you should also follow the 10 commandments. I dunno.

Commit, meaning to comit a crime. Adultery is still a crime in other cultures. Here it's a values statement I suppose. In other cultures bigamy is still legal. But it's a crime here.

It's why we don't say " committed suicide" any more. Thoughts, words, language.. usually preceded an overdue change in attitude.

🙂

It's because Thou shalt not commit adultery, is one of the ten commandments. It's all very biblical. It's a biblical way of describing someone who cheats on their husband or wife.

But then marriage is a biblical invention I think. So maybe if you get married, you should also follow the 10 commandments. I dunno.

Commit, meaning to comit a crime. Adultery is still a crime in other cultures. Here it's a valued statement I suppose. In other cultures bigamy is still legal. But it's a crime here.

It's why we don't say " committed suicide" any more. Thoughts, words, language.. usually preceded an overdue change in attitude.
It's a great stretch to say marriage is a biblical invention

Reactions: tim

Whereas I'm not at all religious, when I got married I stood in front of all of my friends and family and made a vow.

The words of that vow do not mention adultery.

‘I, (name), take you, (name)
to be my wife/husband,
to have and to hold
from this day forward;
for better, for worse,
for richer, for poorer,
in sickness and in health,
to love and to cherish,
till death us do part,
according to God’s holy law.
In the presence of God I make this vow.’

Obviously I've never committed adultery because I know full well that Mrs Chap would literally kill me.

And, frankly, I'd deserve it.

You should take heed of some of you own advice.

Whats is wrong with it when someone married ? Genuine question! If it's offensive then i stand corrected and am sorry but what word am i supposed to use in this situation? I'm defensive because i've been accused of being homophobic because of the way i've wordred something. I certainly was'nt intended to offend or seen as moral judgements. I will have a good think about what i've posted, i'm fine with being pulled up, it's how we learn. It's the assumptions being made and being labelled and catergorized that i'm not fine with.

Didn't accuse you of being homophobic.

Did and do have a problem with the use of the word adulterer and in general, the dismissive attitude towards people who have sex. Maybe that's my own failing.

So. Is Schofield allegedly another Jimmy Savile? Is he allegedly a monster?

Am sure that the truth will out eventually.

Regardless of his sexuality.

Did and do have a problem with the use of the word adulterer
Like i said, i had no idea that the word could possibly offend, that wasn't my intent and i've learnt something too!

and in general, the dismissive attitude towards people who have sex.
Again that is not my intention. You see it as me being dismisive to people having sex that's not how i see it. Why would i have a problem with people having sex? I even do it myself :eek: I's not just having sex is, the storey i mean? there are other things in this storey hence this thread and media attention. It's the trust issue between him and his wife that i'm thinking about. There can be more than one victim/ someone hurt/ feeling betrayed in these situations. I have no idea if his wife new and her take on it, she may be okay with it who knows.

Whereas I'm not at all religious, when I got married I stood in front of all of my friends and family and made a vow.

to be my wife/husband,
to have and to hold
from this day forward;
for better, for worse,
for richer, for poorer,
to love and to cherish,
till death us do part,

Obviously I've never committed adultery because I know full well that Mrs Chap would literally kill me.

God said a lot about adultery, marriage, monogamy etc .. I'm not sure if your marriage is even legal.. if it leaves some out ;) :hmm:

Screenshot_20230604-091740.png

Like i said, i had no idea that the word could possibly offend, that wasn't my intent and i've learnt something too!

Again that is not my intention. You see it as me being dismisive to people having sex that's not how i see it. Why would i have a problem with people having sex? I even do it myself :eek: I's not just having sex is, the storey i mean? there are other things in this storey hence this thread and media attention. It's the trust issue between him and his wife that i'm thinking about. There can be more than one victim/ someone hurt/ feeling betrayed in these situations. I have no idea if his wife new and her take on it, she may be okay with it who knows.

But why is any issue between him and his ex wife a matter for public debate, speculation, and derision? It's a private matter, between them.

If he made vows with anyone, it was with her, not with us. I don't get why anyone else thinks it is a problem that affects them.

Certainly people would feel hurt about it if they're in the dark about it. But as you know, relationships are much more nuanced than concepts like betrayal and adultery.

The whole story. It's all a sorry mess and a huge distraction from the even bigger mess the world is in.

But why is any issue between him and his ex wife a matter for public debate, speculation, and derision? It's a private matter, between them.
Because it's been made public? There's an appetite for that kind of news? This thread is talking about it, many people are, that's a socital issue no? i think we've become a very voyeristic society, i guess the inernet hasn't helped with the abillity to get a constant flow of news, tittle tattle etc.

Because it's been made public? There's an appetite for that kind of news? This thread is talking about it, many people are, that's a socital issue no? i think we've become a very voyeristic society, i guess the inernet hasn't helped with the abillity to get a constant flow of news, tittle tattle etc.

Yes it is all very well saying that to me, but it wasn't me being critical in that way, was it :hmm:

Yes it is all very well saying that to me, but it wasn't me being critical in that way, was it
I'v answered you honestly. We're not all going to agree when there's lots of people offering opinions. I've said that i'll have a think about what i've wrote and will take on board the responses and will try and learn from that.

If he made vows with anyone, it was with her, not with us. I don't get why anyone else thinks it is a problem that affects them.
I agree with you and I'm not massively arsed about any of this tbh.

BUT there are people, puritans I suppose, that bought into his stock as a wholesome daytime family entertainer. And then it's all down to who advertisers aim their products at based on that. I can see why it's gone pear shaped. But if society wasn't so homophobic he wouldn't have to pretend. Pretty sad really. The Beatles wrote a song about it - about their manager I think.

I don't actually agree with this, if someone in politics is being a hypocrite and advocating anti-gay legislation when they are gay themselves then yes that applies, but for a light entertainer/daytime tv presenter it hardly seems relevant tbh.

Whether someone is lying to their spouse/family is between them and their family, it's not for the rest of us to rock up with a chair and a bowl of popcorn.
He made his living from being on telly, all smiley and chatty, acting like he was our friend, pretending, pretending. We're all quite capable of being dishonest, by lying or withholding the truth, but being discovered, found out, is particularly bad for reputations. Blair was criticised for his Iraq policy, but what really got people was not so much the hundreds of thousands of deaths but the fact that he lied about weapons of mass destruction. I'm not putting Schofield in the same category as Blair, but that's what annoys people. If he lied about this, then what else is he lying about?

to be my wife/husband,
to have and to hold
from this day forward;
for better, for worse,
for richer, for poorer,
to love and to cherish,
till death us do part,

Sometimes there's mention of forsaking all others in there

I'v answered you honestly. We're not all going to agree when there's lots of people offering opinions. I've said that i'll have a think about what i've wrote and will take on board the responses and will try and learn from that.
It's this sort of thing reminds me so much of South Park, I think we've all learnt something today etc. Wonder who the urban Kyle and Cartman and butters etc are.

Back
Top Bottom