Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

The war and "the left" - what do "we" do?

Which of the following would you support?

• Total voters
My sense is that twink is broadly complementary to the person themselves - calling them fit - but not so much to their partner/pursuer - too old for them.
It's all contextual, innit? Like, it suggests boyishness rather than muscularity or whatever the word is. So if you were going into negotiations with Putin, and you tried to butter him up by calling him a twink, I feel like it could have the opposite effect.

The same AF tweet which used the term 'fashjacket' referred to the alleged victim of said 'fashjacketing' as 'one of the absolute ballers of Anarchism in the UK'.

Being incredibly old I still associate 'baller' with it's hip hop usage implying someone who had achieved extremely high status, made 'loadsamoney' and who wasn't afraid to display it. Generally with subtexts of being very very male and a 'gangsta'. I can see some process of (absolutely not cultural appropriation guv) has led to this current kind of usage. But I can't begin to imagine how it could come to be sufficiently detached from the connotations of stardom and celebrity - even of 'peoples celebrities' 'people's stars' and "fucking legends" (pass the sick bag) - to become a compliment applied to an anarchist outside of some very ironical intent. You young people, eh.

In a different, and entirely unconnected, social media micro-community 'fash' doesn't mean fascist of course, it mean's fashion/fashionable. In that sense the person who posted that thread could presumably be described as being 'Fash AF' without any pejorative intent. Allegedly.

Well it is post colonial obviously but I don’t think there's much to be gained from like eg labelling Russians in Moldova etc 'settlers'
I know what you mean. If people have grown up somewhere then it's their home. But Russian speakers were settled all around the borders of the old Soviet Union, on the Finnish border, in the Baltic states, in Kaliningrad, in Moldova and Transnistria, in the Caucasus, Kazakhstan, Sakhalin. Very few ever learnt the languages of their new fellow citizens. So labelling them as 'other' from their compatriots will achieve nothing. Hopefully they will be able to adopt and identify with their new nationalities rather than cling on to an imperialist Russian identity.

I know what you mean. If people have grown up somewhere then it's their home. But Russian speakers were settled all around the borders of the old Soviet Union, on the Finnish border, in the Baltic states, in Kaliningrad, in Moldova and Transnistria, in the Caucasus, Kazakhstan, Sakhalin. Very few ever learnt the languages of their new fellow citizens. So labelling them as 'other' from their compatriots will achieve nothing. Hopefully they will be able to adopt and identify with their new nationalities rather than cling on to an imperialist Russian identity.
It can be a delicate balance in what is often a very difficult and fraught situation. But this is where ethno-nationalism shows itself up as a dead end. For instance, the language requirements for citizenship of the Baltic states, which have left hundreds of thousands of people stateless, are not the way to do it. Ultimately these are simply economic migrants and the descendants of economic migrants. They are not the enemy.

It can be a delicate balance in what is often a very difficult and fraught situation. But this is where ethno-nationalism shows itself up as a dead end. For instance, the language requirements for citizenship of the Baltic states, which have left hundreds of thousands of people stateless, are not the way to do it. Ultimately these are simply economic migrants and the descendants of economic migrants. They are not the enemy.
But it is what will give the Putin regime the chance to throw around accusations of 'fascism.'

This was happening as far back as the end of the USSR.

Not just that though. For various reasons minorities such as Jews, Roma etc in those places often learn and speak Russian rather than the 'original' language of the area. Eg Moldovan Jewish community is mostly Russian speaking

What I'm saying it's a very bad idea for American style radlibs to start labelling random Russians in these places as colonists etc, for a start that's not how Soviet colonialism worked. Russian and Russian speaking communities also existed in these places for centuries well before the USSR too, likewise with Ukrainians in what's now Russia too

Back
Top Bottom