Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

The war and "the left" - what do "we" do?

Which of the following would you support?

• Total voters
Does anyone know of a good way to see if there are any demos other than a stop the war one happening locally other than Facebook or twitter, or any social media really?

Does anyone know of a good way to see if there are any demos other than a stop the war one happening locally other than Facebook or twitter, or any social media really?
Not really? If you don't mind mentioning your area I can try and have a search for you, but obv no worries if you'd rather not do that?

Not really? If you don't mind mentioning your area I can try and have a search for you, but obv no worries if you'd rather not do that?
Thank you will send you a pm, but I might just have to start using Facebook

Posting this here, under the "things people in the UK can practically do" category:

Anyone heard of Anarchist Action Network?

11:36 Squatters occupy Russian oligarch's London mansion

Members of an anarchist group have occupied a central London property linked to Russian oligarch Oleg Deripaska.

The Anarchist Action Network say they are occupying the mansion in Belgrave Square in protest against Russia's invasion of Ukraine and to show "solidarity" with the people of Ukraine and Russian citizens "who never agreed to this madness".

The group says the property will serve as a "refugee support, for people of Ukraine and people of all nations and ethnicity".

Some of the protesters told attending press that there is no hot water in the house and no food in the fridges, suggesting the property has not been lived in for a while. They say they do not intend to live or sleep at the property, but will occupy it on rotation.

I saw a load of AFED flyposts the other day. Also see SP ones quite often. And we still have stalls and paper sales and petitions of a Saturday. (WRP were out flogging Newsline the other day, I've also seen them hawking them round pubs locally.)
yeh seen some af flyposting in dalston, also swp and kurdish stuff, and frfi

Reactions: Sue
I saw a load of AFED flyposts the other day. Also see SP ones quite often. And we still have stalls and paper sales and petitions of a Saturday. (WRP were out flogging Newsline the other day, I've also seen them hawking them round pubs locally.)
Wow the hotbed of the British left.

Anyone heard of Anarchist Action Network?

11:36 Squatters occupy Russian oligarch's London mansion

Members of an anarchist group have occupied a central London property linked to Russian oligarch Oleg Deripaska.

The Anarchist Action Network say they are occupying the mansion in Belgrave Square in protest against Russia's invasion of Ukraine and to show "solidarity" with the people of Ukraine and Russian citizens "who never agreed to this madness".

The group says the property will serve as a "refugee support, for people of Ukraine and people of all nations and ethnicity".

Some of the protesters told attending press that there is no hot water in the house and no food in the fridges, suggesting the property has not been lived in for a while. They say they do not intend to live or sleep at the property, but will occupy it on rotation.
Ah, this is their site:
Seems to be a repost from here:
yeh seen some af flyposting in dalston, also swp and kurdish stuff, and frfi
Yeah, we get both SWP and SolFed stuff in town, and then YCL and some of the smaller trot groups mostly visible round the uni. It's almost always sellotape rather than your proper oldschool wallpaper paste though.

Posting this here, under the "things people in the UK can practically do" category:

Will be interesting to see what happens here. Squatting is unlawful in 'residential' (note inverted commas) property so I'm suspecting it will be straight to court.

Could they argue that the property is not residential as it was bought as an investment and has not been lived in? Probably not.

Would court action/eviction lead to a large element of public support, given that this group are effectively doing what the government should be doing?

Don't know anything about the group but this is good direct action.

The government's line will be interpretable as something like 'squatting in residential property remains illegal, meanwhile you can host a traumatised refugee in your two bedroomed house for a pittance by making your kids share a room'.

Will be interesting to see what happens here. Squatting is unlawful in 'residential' (note inverted commas) property so I'm suspecting it will be straight to court.

Could they argue that the property is not residential as it was bought as an investment and has not been lived in? Probably not.

Would court action/eviction lead to a large element of public support, given that this group are effectively doing what the government should be doing?

Don't know anything about the group but this is good direct action.

The government's line will be interpretable as something like 'squatting in residential property remains illegal, meanwhile you can host a traumatised refugee in your two bedroomed house for a pittance by making your kids share a room'.
it is residential as it has been lived in - i think that's how they define it

however, at a time when oligarchs are bad then dealing with this squatting as cops usually might won't do their tattered rep any good

Back
Top Bottom