Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

The Virgin Mary

An old one and not mine.

But somebody once destroyed the arms of the sacred come to life statue of our Lady of Knock with an axe, the question is why didn’t she move out of the way.
Because it was a statue.
The figures were sculpted by the renowned Italian sculptor, Professor Lorenzo Ferri in 1960. The statuary was commissioned by the Knock Shrine Society.

The apparition at Knock took place in 1879.
It was not "statue come to life"..;because there were no statues. They were built 81 years later to represent what was seen by 15 people.

Eta...we Irish Catholics usually prefer to blow up statues of public figures than those of Mary. I think your "story" is about the Pentacostalist (Protestants) who damaged the statue of Our Lady at Ballinspittle because they were protesting against "Idolatry" (which isn't actually what Catholocs do)

Last edited:
Because it was a statue.
The figures were sculpted by the renowned Italian sculptor, Professor Lorenzo Ferri in 1960. The statuary was commissioned by the Knock Shrine Society.

It was not "statue come to life"..;because there were no statues. They were built 81 years later to represent what was seen by 15 people.

Eta...we Irish Catholics usually prefer to blow up statues of public figures than those of Mary. I think your "story" is about the Pentacostalist (Protestants) who damaged the statue of Our Lady at Ballinspittle because they were protesting against "Idolatry" (which isn't actually what Catholocs do)
Are there, or have there been, and religions that engage in idolatry? How do we define idolatry?

Are there, or have there been, and religions that engage in idolatry? How do we define idolatry?

The biblical remonstrance was apparently against those who literally worshipped statues, the golden calf, the golden statue in the book of Daniel etc.

Has anyone literally worshipped a statue?

It's unclear whether the ancients thought that the objects of their worship were just symbols or were literally some kind of physical incarnation of the gods. Probably opinions differed. They certainly placed great value on the objects, dressing them in fine clothes etc.

During the Reformation, statues were destroyed because the powers that be considered them idolatrous.

As far as I understand it, muslims never have pictures or statues of their prophets, as they think it's wrong.

Because it was a statue.

I stand corrected and enlightened. I simply had a vague memory of a stand up routine I once heard.

I suppose you could argue that Luke is behind every AI generated Christian image.

Though in that case Luke would be fucking deranged.

Reactions: PTK
It's unclear whether the ancients thought that the objects of their worship were just symbols or were literally some kind of physical incarnation of the gods. Probably opinions differed. They certainly placed great value on the objects, dressing them in fine clothes etc.
People today put garlands of flowers on statues.

It's just a nice picture. No one would think it's a St Luke or Raphael..

You said it was 'quite stunning'. It's a simulacrum of art. An averaged value with no intent or imagination behind it. To put it in more religious terms, it's soulless. Art isn't just a surface level image, it's an act of interpretation... Think that's also sort of what pisses me off about the Luke myth; what the artwork actually is, who painted it and why, its fundamental humanity is just flattened out and wedged into a Luke-shaped hole.

You said it was 'quite stunning'. It's a simulacrum of art. An averaged value with no intent or imagination behind it. To put it in more religious terms, it's soulless. Art isn't just a surface level image, it's an act of interpretation... Think that's also sort of what pisses me off about the Luke myth; what the artwork actually is, who painted it and why, its fundamental humanity is just flattened out and wedged into a Luke-shaped hole.
Well said. I agree with you.

Bart Ehrman sez the whole concept of the virgin birth was unimportant to early Christianity. Only happens in Matthew and Luke and the former is just about prophesy fulfilment.

Bart Ehrman sez the whole concept of the virgin birth was unimportant to early Christianity. Only happens in Matthew and Luke and the former is just about prophesy fulfilment.

Protestant claptrap. Lord Cromwell would give this post a 😍

Even Martin Luther didn't believe this

Last edited:
Well said

Back
Top Bottom