Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

The Truth About Chlorinated Chicken review – Channel 4 doc

I think editor 's point is that they are *not* washed under a household tap. But at the plant they are washed in a pretty strong chlorine solution to hoprfully get the poo off.

But, it doesn't matter, chlorine isn't the issue, it's not a problem, it's the poor hygiene standards in the production process that's the problem.

It's not consuming chlorine itself that the EU is worried about - in fact in 2005 the European Food Safety Authority said that "exposure to chlorite residues arising from treated poultry carcasses would be of no safety concern". Chlorine-rinsed bagged salads are common in the UK and other countries in the EU.

But the EU believes that relying on a chlorine rinse at the end of the meat production process could be a way of compensating for poor hygiene standards - such as dirty or crowded abattoirs.
How safe is chlorine-washed chicken?

That, and the shit treatment of staff, resulting in decreasing numbers of fingers.

I think people are slowly moving away from meat and hopefully this will help push a few more in the right direction, or at least make them think about it.

Hmmm... kinda... in some places.
Global meat consumption is rising pretty rapidly overall and its creating a good amount of devastation.

Anyone ever eaten chicken in the States? Notice any difference?

Yes. People there are fucking enormous. It does not speak to food health.

As for the chicken, coated in herbs and spices it’s going to taste much the same as will the effects of campylobacteria.

Yes. People there are fucking enormous. It does not speak to food health.

When I was out there last year (Philly and Princeton), people didn't look any different to UK people size wise (men a little taller on average, I guess). Though I gather that varies from place to place.

Hmmm... kinda... in some places.
Global meat consumption is rising pretty rapidly overall and its creating a good amount of devastation.
But I was only speaking about the UK, which is all we are talking about here. Fwiw I think people are cutting back for health reasons, because it's trendy and lastly, sadly, because of animal welfare. If these stateside stories help push people towards a vegan/vegetarian diet, it's a good thing.

Isn't much of the chicken used in junk food places, which are predominatly American, imported? Would much of it not come from the states?

This is such a croc of shit, remain has latched on to chlorinated chicken as it sounds grim as fuck and that's what Brexiteers will be stuffing down our throats, but in itself it is not bad in any way, shape or form; we had it until 1997, fruit and veg comes washed in the stuff. Vegan remainers can't compute.

These are exactly the same concerns as when TTiP was proposed and fiercely opposed.

Does the Brexity left now think that was hysterical? No threat from Chicken? No threat to consumer standards? No threat to the NHS?

After the trade deals we’ll be making, I hope you have a *really* big garden if you want to continue eating anything at all.

Excellent point and projects are in progress.
I am currently drawing cutting plans for making raised vegetable planters and also plan moving the shed to make way for a greenhouse in preparation for next year.

I am confident comrade Corbyn will no doubt produce a handy pamphlet on allotment yields in the near future.

Shhhhhh... don't confuse the hype with facts. WTF is wrong with people? Let the US export whatever they wish YOU ARE NOT COMPELLED TO BUY IT!

Have you watched the documentary? If not, I suggest you do.

It's not about washing the chickens in chlorine, which isn't a problem, but about the frankly shocking lack of hygiene standards in the production chain, resulting in hundreds of deaths.

From the link in the OP - The US records hundreds of salmonella deaths a year; the UK has in recent years recorded none.

US rates of food poisoning in general are way above ours. Hard to say what is down to what.

When they banned chlorine washing in 1997 or thereabouts, was there a drop in poisoning cases, and what was the general hygiene regime like when they were still chlorine washing in the EU?

I had a fair old Google around buy couldn’t find anything on this.

Without this information it’s hard to conclude anything.

Have you watched the documentary? If not, I suggest you do.

It's not about washing the chickens in chlorine, which isn't a problem, but about the frankly shocking lack of hygiene standards in the production chain, resulting in hundreds of deaths.

From the link in the OP - The US records hundreds of salmonella deaths a year; the UK has in recent years recorded none.
And this in the most litigious country on the planet?

Back
Top Bottom