Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

The Trump presidency

Status
Not open for further replies.
Why though? Is it because Herr Drumpf is continuing to reside there part of the time rather than full-time at the White house?
Yes, I heard the Secret Service has rented a very expensive suite in TT as well.

It's not that unusual for a President to have a second residence. Bush was often on his Texas ranch.

On Bloomberg Inside Trump Tower, the Center of the Billionaire’s Universe
And Trump Tower still has Trump. His home at the top isn’t like the others. One reason Trump’s triplex is so vast, he has written, is a trip he took to Saudi arms dealer Adnan Khashoggi’s condo nearby, where he stepped into a living room bigger than his own. Trump said he bought up a neighboring unit to expand. Photographs show a shiny, marbled, yellow expanse decorated with a toy Mercedes near a statue of Eros and Psyche.

Trump says his apartment reaches up to the 68th floor, even though the building isn’t that high. City records say it’s 10 floors shorter. Much of the explanation is a magic trick downstairs, where Trump skipped the 6th through 13th floors.

My bold, even his Tower of Power is fake.

Article has an interesting list of some of the often dodgy critters that are residents.

TT is suffering from rather a lot demo activity that's pissing off wealthy residents so I'd expect the US Tax payer to be donating more money to its landlord.

Yes, I heard the Secret Service has rented a very expensive suite in TT as well.

It's not that unusual for a President to have a second residence. Bush was often on his Texas ranch.

On Bloomberg Inside Trump Tower, the Center of the Billionaire’s Universe
My bold, even his Tower of Power is fake.

Article has an interesting list of some of the often dodgy critters that are residents.

TT is suffering from rather a lot demo activity that's pissing off wealthy residents so I'd expect the US Tax payer to be donating more money to its landlord.
but in keeping with the extraordinary plan his missus has for using her fame and fortune as a money spinner, he's naked about his greed.

"The 'Winter White House' is now open to members with deep pockets. The initiation fee doubled on January 1, 2017, the same month as Trump's inauguration, to $200,000 and members are expected to pay $14,000 in annual dues and an additional $2,000 on food at the club." (my emphasis).

for anyone who hasn't looked it up, it's an interesting story

Marjorie Merriweather Post built the house with her then-husband Edward F. Hutton. Post hired Marion Sims Wyeth to design it, and Joseph Urban to create interior design and exterior decorations.[8][9] Upon her death in 1973, Post willed the 17-acre (69,000 m2) estate to the United States government as a Winter White House for presidents and visiting foreign dignitaries.[10] Richard Nixon preferred the Florida White House in Key Biscayne, however, and Jimmy Carter was not interested. Not wanting to pay $1 million in annual taxes and maintenance costs, the government returned it to the Post Foundation in 1981, which listed it for sale for $20 million. Dina Merrill and Post's two other daughters did not maintain the property, expecting to sell it,[11] but there was so little interest that the city approved its demolition to build smaller homes.[12] Mar-a-Lago was declared a National Historic Landmark in 1980.[3][13][14]

Donald Trump at a fundraiser for the Cleveland Clinic hosted at Mar-a-Lago in 2012
After unsuccessfully trying to purchase and combine two apartments in Palm Beach for his family, Donald Trump learned about the estate and offered $15 million. After the Post family rejected the offer, Trump threatened to block Mar-a-Lago's beach view, forcing the Post family to accept his last offer of less than $8 million in December 1985.[15][11] Trump renovated the estate, adding a 20,000 square-foot ballroom[12] to the 58 bedrooms, 33 bathrooms, a 29-foot-long (8.8 m) pietra dura marble top dining table, 12 fireplaces, and three bomb shelters. The club also has five clay tennis courts and a waterfront pool. Further additions have been made since then, including a 20,000-square-foot (1,900 m2) ballroom.

In the early 1990s Trump faced financial difficulties. While negotiating with his bankers, he promised to divide Mar-a-Lago into smaller properties, alarming Palm Beach residents; the city council rejected his plan to do so. Trump instead turned the estate into a private club that—unlike other Palm Beach old money resorts like the Bath and Tennis Club and Everglades Club—accepted Jews, blacks, and (as one Everglades member said) "people who try to call attention to themselves" like Trump himself—as members.

wp-1486545639342.jpg

What a missed opportunity! Jonathan Jones writing in the grauniad about Obama on holiday and not worrying about Trump.

While staying with Richard Branson recently in the British Virgin Islands, Obama learned to kitesurf, and the thrill of rediscovering his beloved watersports after eight years when he was kept out of the waves for security reasons glows in his face and relaxed body language. Yet for anyone who has woken up in the early hours worried and scared by Trump, this gleeful display of sheer satisfaction with life may seem a bit rich. Good vibrations are all very well but what about the future of the world?.....If Obama has been doing any beach reading between watersport exploits.

“The way you lobby has changed,” agrees the senior Republican lobbyist. And he says Trump has already had a significant hand in that. “It is amazing the number of current and potential clients who are terrified about their CEO, their business being tweeted about” by the leader of the free world. It’s also a selling point for lobbying companies hawking their broader communications and advocacy services. One veteran lobbyist admits to being struck by the absurdity of explaining to clients why they need a tweet strategy, “but it’s true.”
It's swamptastic! Making America Grift Again!

Nonetheless, Trump’s tweet on Wednesday marked the first time that an American president had ever publicly chastised a private company for not doing enough to help his daughter make money.
He'll just say that make him "smart".

I do wonder if he's doing a bit of day trading on the side.

Télé Poubelle at it's finest.

Who will Trump fire first?

The rumours of naked wrestling in the Oval Office I'm sure are false.

tbf, the main problem is probably not who the press secretary is, it's probably more to do with giving the press secretary very specific and ill-judged orders about what they have to say.

tbf, the main problem is probably not who the press secretary is, it's probably more to do with giving the press secretary very specific and ill-judged orders about what they have to say.
Yes, impossible job. Go out there and explain how come 2 + 2 = 5. Maybe what Spicer did wrong was get brilliantly impersonated the other night on that show.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom