Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

The Trump presidency

Status
Not open for further replies.
selective misreading. he's used it effectively enough to become president of the usa, as did Obama before him. It's hard to think of anything that might demonstrate effective use more clearly.
Says a lot more about some sections of the American electorate than most would be comfortable with.

On CMEC All Quiet in the Eastern Palaces
My bold, let's not start calling it the "American Spring".

It may be the soft bigotry of low expectations but a lot of Americans appear to have been radicalised by conspiracy theorists and rather eager for the whim filled rule, rule of a petulant, gilded furnishing loving strongman.
Aye whey,the Russian public seem to adore Putin, even when he offers them Shyte, could the same be about to happen in the US?

It's double edged, let's put it that way. He can get good supporters wagging their tails but he can also show his ignorance, incompetence and fragility. I mean, tweeting that people shouldn't believe negative ratings reports of you is the stuff of Robert Mugabe, not the POTUS.
There is currently a difference?

Unfortunately the timeline will probably end with a tweet, along the lines of " I want Defcon 1! NOW,NOW OK, don't argue..........Wanddya you mean the Russians have launched??"launched what??
Perhaps with a scenario following that involves the President suggesting toasting marshmallows over the smoking ruins of the White House à la Illuminati Trilogy.

Aye, no doubt there were more than a few who were more than happy to carry out the Buffoons order to the letter, and they need to have their 'cards marked' for the day rationality returns.
But there were many more people who tried to help and alleviate the problems caused, they just didnt get the coverage.
As always, if it bleeds, it leads.

On Lawfare President Trump, Quebec, and the Dismantling of CVE
The comparison with the anti-establishment reactionary firebrand Ian Paisley occurs to me again. An incendiary paranoid discourse of ruling majority victimhood. A far more agile player with words but also given to the the odd huge porkie:
He'd hate the comparison because Trump's essentially amoral and his schtick is just so vulgar. Paisley was a roaring religious bigot like something out of the Old Testament but a great preacher:

At his best at 1:56 in on the merits of being "AGAINST". The power of shouting!

He was a truly bigoted bastard, and my one hope in life is that (should there be an afterlife) he and Adams and McGuinness are billeted in the same stokehold:thumbs:

I'm no professional economist, but I've been worrying about the same things too. Many financial types have had hard-ons about Trump's proposed infrastructure spending. But they seem to fail to realize that this is no run-of-the-mill presidency, and that things are going to be inherently shaky because of that. All bets are off, and nobody's going to want to invest in times of upheaval and uncertainty. Uncertainty like, not even knowing if this clown is going to be president in a few weeks (months?) or what he's going to do next.

Reactions: CRI
Unfortunately the timeline will probably end with a tweet, along the lines of " I want Defcon 1! NOW,NOW OK, don't argue..........Wanddya you mean the Russians have launched??"launched what??
It'll end with" big Mac fries to go - get me big Mac, get me fries to go" and then he'll smack the nuclear button in error.

he loves his pop will eat itself

Last edited:
Says a lot more about some sections of the American electorate than most would be comfortable with.
most of who?

I've had diatribes from people living in coastal America saying similar about the Brexit debate/result, though they've been less polite. tmm we have to accept that what is entirely incomprehensible from one perspective makes perfect sense from another. And as the recent detailed breakdown of the ref results confirms, educational background, geographic location and age are all massively important in determining our views.

So youngish, well educated Brits saying that Trumps behaviour on Twitter is awful cuts no ice. When I start hearing the same things on the phoneins on rightwing talk radio in Arkensaw or Texas I'll start to wonder if he's losing his touch.

most of who?

I've had diatribes from people living in coastal America saying similar about the Brexit debate/result, though they've been less polite. tmm we have to accept that what is entirely incomprehensible from one perspective makes perfect sense from another. And as the recent detailed breakdown of the ref results confirms, educational background, geographic location and age are all massively important in determining our views.

So youngish, well educated Brits saying that Trumps behaviour on Twitter is awful cuts no ice. When I start hearing the same things on the phoneins on rightwing talk radio in Arkensaw or Texas I'll start to wonder if he's losing his touch.

There's a less extreme constituency to be won over though. Relatively normal-looking people on TV voxpops saying things like "the President doesn't just ban people from the country for no reason" and "we need to get behind our president".

Jack Goldsmith, a former senior Justice Department official in the George W. Bush Administration, who helped design the post-9/11 anti-terror legal architecture, recently suggested that Trump might actually want his travel ban to be overturned. That way, in the wake of an attack, he can use the judiciary as a bogeyman and justify any new efforts to push through more extreme measures.

I asked Goldsmith and others what the menu of options might be for a President Trump empowered by the justifiable fears Americans would have in the aftermath of a serious attack. “If it is a large and grim attack, he might ask for more surveillance powers inside the U.S. (including fewer restrictions on data mingling and storage and queries), more immigration control power at the border, an exception to Posse Comitatus (which prohibits the military from law enforcement in the homeland), and perhaps more immigration-related detention powers,” Goldsmith wrote in an e-mail. “In the extreme scenario Trump could ask Congress to suspend the writ of habeas corpus, which would cut off the kind of access to courts you are seeing right now for everyone (or for every class of persons for which the writ is suspended).”

He pointed out that President Abraham Lincoln suspended the writ of habeas corpus and ignored courts that insisted he didn’t have such power. “The point of the example is that the only question is not what powers Trump might ‘ask for,’ ” Goldsmith said, “but also what powers he might assert or assume or grab, and what he can get away with.”
Oh Jesus Trump as Lincoln riding roughshod habeas corpus. That would rather jolt a lot of folk in Dixie who might of voted for him.

most of who?

I've linked to this before but it's growing and seems legit. Even if say one in every few thousand people who voted for trump are deciding to go public with their disillusion and anger that's probably significant.
Trump Regrets (@Trump_Regrets) on Twitter

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom