Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

the sir jimmy savile obe thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
That he routinely transported corpses voluntarily within the NHS is not a subject of speculation.

Without wanting to cast suspicion groundlessly, it is a curious thing to do in gratis capacity.

Given all the rumours which have now been confirmed, it would be foolish to ignore the others, which are not currently being discussed.

One if these relates to a former Prime Minister. Only whacky conspiraloon websites have been discussing it so far. Up until recently though, these were pretty much the only places you could read about the rest of the allegations. A stopped clock is right twice a day, etc.

nino_savatte said:
That's what I heard too.

"The most beautiful five days of my life" is a quote I read somewhere.

Given he liked hinting at what he was up to, this one no longer seems very unlikely.

Not certain, but possibly on here. Original savile thread last yr.

Just done a google and Theroux says he said something to the same effect in his autobiography (!). So that may be original source.

Where did you read it?

It's in the Telegraph obituary, quite well known.
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/obituaries/8857428/Sir-Jimmy-Savile.html
Some necrophiles are also drawn to things associated with death, hence Broadmoor and some of its inmates also probably had some special resonance for Saville. Apparently even necrophiliac erotophonophiles, who murder their victims for the purposes, once they are caught are aroused by being able to return to show police officers the scene of their sex act upon the corpse, where the victim's body was left. It's possible that keeping the some of his mother's clothes in the spare room was a way to recreate the mental image of those five days of sexual conquest. I don't think it was a grief-despair-seeking the return of the dead thing - since there are hardly any photographs of her in the Theroux documentary.

This is conjecture.

where to said:
"The most beautiful five days of my life" is a quote I read somewhere.

Given he liked hinting at what he was up to, this one no longer seems very unlikely.

For accuracy, quote seems to be " best days of my life.. its wonferful is death"

If this was the plot of a novel, it would be rejected as absurd. Imagine taking this to a publisher.

Well the plot involves an evil child raping predator who hides in plain sight and is held up by the nations highest institutions as a saint. Given the keys and his own room in the nations hospitals while nurses whisper to the child patients to pretend to be asleep so he doesn't molest them. A guy, with no medical training whatsoever who is then not only allowed free access to one of the country's most secure mental hospitals but is allowed to run it. A guy who is given his own children's TV shows which he uses to find victims who he rapes in his dressing room and molests in the studio while people who know turn a blind eye. A guy who rapes and abuses some of the most vulnerable people in the country for going on half a century while the complaints of his victims are ignored and dismissed by people at the highest levels in a variety of institutions. People who know very well what he is doing but who actually enable it and only after his death does the story come out as thousands of people come forward with accusations of abuse.

The publisher would laugh it out of the room. Truth, as always, really is stranger than fiction

If this was the plot of a novel, it would be rejected as absurd. Imagine taking this to a publisher.

Well the plot involves an evil child raping predator who hides in plain sight and is held up by the nations highest institutions as a saint. Given the keys and his own room in the nations hospitals while nurses whisper to the child patients to pretend to be asleep so he doesn't molest them. A guy, with no medical training whatsoever who is then not only allowed free access to one of the country's most secure mental hospitals but is allowed to run it. A guy who is given his own children's TV shows which he uses to find victims who he rapes in his dressing room and molests in the studio while people who know turn a blind eye. A guy who rapes and abuses some of the most vulnerable people in the country for going on half a century while the complaints of his victims are ignored and dismissed by people at the highest levels in a variety of institutions. People who know very well what he is doing but who actually enable it and only after his death does the story come out as thousands of people come forward with accusations of abuse.

The publisher would laugh it out of the room. Truth, as always, really is stranger than fiction
https://twitter.com/WelshIrvine/status/256878911097565184
Tell that to Irvine Welsh.

The Department of Health (DoH) is to investigate the decision to appoint Sir Jimmy Savile as head of a taskforce overseeing Broadmoor hospital in 1988.

The Guardian reported that Savile's appointment came after the hospital's management board was dismissed by then health secretary Ken Clarke.

However, Mr Clarke's special adviser said the Conservative MP, who was made health secretary in July 1988, had no recollection of this, and the appointment may not have been made when he was in his post.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-19936195

Just on the broadmoor thing and the '88 stuff - this needs repeating:

"It is the simple 'fix it' attitude he brings to all areas of his life," noted the interviewer, adding that six months later, it would fall to Savile to appoint the first general manager to be responsible for the day-to-day running of the hospital.

Can anyone with any access find this interview/article: Sunday Times, Jimmy Savile, Broadmoor 1988, 1989, 1990 ?

The running of Broadmoor, the highest-profile facility of its kind in the country and the home to many of Britain's most notorious criminals, was placed in the temporary control of a "taskforce", according to reports at the time, to be headed up by a somewhat unexpected figure.

It was Jimmy Savile, the then 61-year-old TV presenter, charity fundraiser and national eccentric. "There's nothing that can't be solved," he told an approving Sunday Times reporter at the time of his appointment, stabbing the air with his trademark cigar for emphasis.

"It is the simple 'fix it' attitude he brings to all areas of his life," noted the interviewer, adding that six months later, it would fall to Savile to appoint the first general manager to be responsible for the day-to-day running of the hospital.

Also who was that general manager?

Thank you so much. Spasibo bolshoe!

'I have the knack of getting things done, ' he says. 'Others have the knack of talking, or sitting on committees but I make things happen.' At Broadmoor he wants to see smaller wards, more private rooms instead of dormitories, more individual therapy for patients, and a less regimented timetable. 'But I'm not going to rush. Winston Churchill didn't open the second front before he was ready and I won't move until I'm ready. I will adopt the long, steady, undramatic role which avoids the whizz-kid approach.'

It puts the changes there in a new light.

This was September 1988
"Last week he was promoted to chairman of a new task force set up by the Department of Health to govern Broadmoor. Such a new organisation 'an advisory body with teeth', says Savile could not come at a more pressing time."

Ken Clarke is health Secretary in July 1988.

As ever with politicians:- unwarranted credit with anything good (displacing others' work+labour) ; it's not my fault when something goes wrong

This first manager dude, supposing he's still alive must have had in by the police for questioning by now. Surely?

For Savile to give anyone a job, whoever it was must have been owed something by Savile. Wonder what sort of ghastly bastard you'd have to be to have done a big enough favour for Savile to mean he was in your debt to the tune of a big fat - presumably well paid - job like that. And once he took the job, he was in Savile's pocket, of course.
Mind you, I suppose if I was a ghastly bastard, I'm sure that'd suit me just fine; in his pocket and protected by Savile and his armour of untouchability.

The new manager seems to have been Charles Kaye , who wrote a book about his work. It only mentions savile three times, but js commented on drafts. If you do a google books search for jimmy savile broadmoor it is the first book to come up. Can't do link as on phone.

The new manager seems to have been Charles Kaye , who wrote a book about his work. It only mentions savile three times, but js commented on drafts. If you do a google books search for jimmy savile broadmoor it is the first book to come up. Can't do link as on phone.

I'm not sure if he is the right man as it sounds like he was higher up, in charge of the thing that was setup to manage all the secure hospitals.

Lets try this article from 1994.

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/u...-anger-at-a-new-more-open-regime-1369160.html

Alan Franey, Broadmoor's general manager, explained. In 1988 he arrived in Broadmoor - not simply to share a roof with the Yorkshire Ripper and Ronnie Kray - but to begin to put recommendations for reform into practice. An inquiry had found patients undressing in corridors in preparation for bed; a drug and alcohol ring; too much use of 'restraint garments' and excessive influence being wielded by the Prison Officers' Association, the union representing most nurses.
'I remember the first day I arrived,' Mr Franey said. 'Two nurses were standing behind me and I heard one of them say, 'The SS are in'. Now the same things are being said again.'
Since Broadmoor was built in 1863, occupying 55 acres of a 412-acre estate, it has generated dread. Harry Field said: 'As you can see, it's a very gothic place. Patients experience fear approaching it. They have all seen The Silence of the Lambs. But it's not like that: no chains hanging against the wall and no padded rooms.'
On the other hand, it has proved harder to reform attitudes than to refurbish wards. In 1989 a patient died under sedation. In 1990 four nurses were arrested in connection with a police investigation into alleged bribery and corruption.
In the following two years two nurses left a patient locked in his cell for six hours as part of a dispute by the Prison Officers' Association, and a psychiatrist took early retirement after giving patients electric shock treatment without anaesthetic. Last year an independent inquiry into the death of a black schizophrenic found racism, low nursing skills and staff concerned more with control than care. It demanded a review of the solitary confinement regulations and got this dispute.

The week before his death, she received a call from Alan Franey, the former chief executive of Broadmoor hospital, of which Jimmy was a patron.
‘He told me Jimmy was breathless and that he’d gone home because he knew it was probably time,’ she says. ‘He never wanted to die in hospital because he had to hand over control to the doctors and nurses. At home, he would have felt he was still in control to the end.’

"I spent a lot of time with him and would say I knew him probably as well as anybody else knew him," Mr Franey told BBC 5 live.

"I spoke to him last Wednesday and asked him how he was, and he said he was feeling very tired and short of breath. Mentally, he was very alert. But he said to me: 'I'm coming to the end of the tunnel.'"
Mr Franey ran marathons with Sir Jimmy to raise money for causes including Broadmoor, Stoke Mandeville Hospital in Buckinghamshire and Leeds General Infirmary.
"Jimmy would spend time going round the hospital [at Broadmoor] talking to staff and talking to patients, and if he could do any fundraising he would do so," he said.
"He spent a lot of his life involved in raising [money for] charity and was passionate about helping people. Jimmy had a very normal upbringing but it was a tough upbringing and he never forgot his roots. He felt that he was in a situation where he could raise funds for people using his position in showbiz and he successfully did that."
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-15507826

Some other classics on that page.

David Hamilton:
"We were together at Radio 1 in the '70s and the station was full of eccentric personalities, but he was certainly the most flamboyant of all," Hamilton told BBC 5 live.
"One of the essential things about Jimmy was that he was a man of the people. He knew his audience, he was very much in touch with his audience. I think the public were his family.
"Probably of all the DJs I worked with, I knew him less than any of the others. He kept himself very much to himself. He didn't drink so he wasn't the sort of man who would go down to the pub and have a bevvy with you."
Graham Smith:
He added: "Margaret Thatcher asked him to look after the wives of the G7 leaders during a conference. He took them to Stoke Mandeville. They were confronted by a man in tracksuit and a jewellery but by the end of the day, they were eating out of his hand."

Jeremy Hunt :D
"Sir Jimmy Savile was one of broadcasting's most unique and colourful characters," said Mr Hunt.
"From Top of the Pops to making children's dreams come true on Jim'll Fix It, a generation of people will remember his catchphrases and sense of fun.
"But his lasting legacy will be the millions he raised for charity, tirelessly giving up his time and energy to help those causes he was passionate about."

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom