Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

The Hundred: cricket’s saviour or a load of marketing crap?

Finding this format a bit confusing and strange. There is all the complex scores/stats that confuse people new to the game with the added strange overs thing. Can the bowlers do two 5 ball overs in a row?
Yeah they can. Root bowled two in a row at the start.

If the BBC took this current rubbish, I'm sure they would have taken the Blast if it was less drawn out and priced in their range. And Sky doesn't screen every match, by any stretch (as far as I know?). The Blast has a perfect opportunity to capitalise on the gap between the IPL and the Bash as the premier global comp in that period. It just needs to figure out what its goals are. Either way, it will outlive the Hundred though!

have any t20 games been shown live this year? Every time I’ve looked. Nothing.

A moan about the marketing executive wet dream name. 'The Hundred'. A cricket term indelibly linked with run scoring. But they needed something catchy for a shortened form so they turned it around into a bowling meaning. 20/20 was taken and 16.4 didn't sound right.

And you won't get many batting hundreds in this.

Dobell suggests, in the article I linked on the previous page, that in a few years we will be watching 10 over matches. 'The Hundred' will surely respond with 50/50, a game of chance. And at least that would be more honest.

Cricinfo are already getting a little...irreverent in their commentary.

Here come D'Arcy Short and Alex Hales. Southern Pombear are already in the middle, looks like George Garton to open the bowling.

Cricinfo are also adding these games into their official statistics for T20. I don't gaf for T20 stats but as a fan of statistics and maths I find this...wrong.

I think part of the problem is the commentary. It's the waffle on format of the radio, which makes the game seem less focused.
The more I listen the more this post rings true. This mumbling, waffling style is bad enough on the radio from this team but on TV it's really dull.

A moan about the marketing executive wet dream name. 'The Hundred'. A cricket term indelibly linked with run scoring. But they needed something catchy for a shortened form so they turned it around into a bowling meaning. 20/20 was taken and 16.4 didn't sound right.

And you won't get many batting hundreds in this.

Dobell suggests, in the article I linked on the previous page, that in a few years we will be watching 10 over matches. 'The Hundred' will surely respond with 50/50, a game of chance. And at least that would be more honest.
Yeah, the whole thing has been manufactured starting from the name and working backwards.

I agree with Dobell about most things, but I don't think t10 will take over. It's too short. A t20 game is about the same amount of time as a baseball game. That's about right for an evening out - you can settle in with a pint or two and a burger or whatever. t10 is down to the length of a football match. For a bat and ball game, that's too short.

I know they're trying to get t10 in the Olympics, but that doesn't mean it has to come in elsewhere.

More far-right opposition to The Hundred…

”Another BBC recruit is Michael Carberry, the black former cricketer. He recently said Ollie Robinson should ‘lose his career’ for his ‘racist’ tweets. Doubtless this presented him in a favourable light to his new employer. “

…this one is a beauty…

“The new gender-neutral cricketing terminology was strictly adhered to, of course. Batsmen are now ‘batters’, third man has become ‘third’. How long before preferred pronouns are mandated to appear on the backs of players’ shirts?”

That sort of opposition to the Hundred is of course worthless.

You're reading the wrong people. Try George Dobell on cricinfo.

The Hundred is a bad idea. Nothing I have seen has changed that, including the good things, such as the good crowds and tv coverage for the women's matches (this is, in fact, the only good thing, and even then it needs some qualification - the only genuinely impressive attendance for a women's match was the 10,000 at The Oval). But that good thing could have been achieved in other ways.

Longer-term, do you think the IPL will see the Hundred and think 'oh we need to change format'? No, of course they won't. In order to succeed in the medium to long term, it actually has to prove itself better than t20 and supersede it. It very clearly won't do that. And so it will fail. It will prove to have been an ill-conceived idea.

If we're objective about this, the attendances for the men's matches, at roughly the same as county t20 matches at the various grounds, are a failure so far. Despite all the investment and hype and free shirts etc, it's getting in the same amount of people, and overwhelmingly the same people as the t20 Blast (and remember that thousands of people couldn't go to the t20 cos of covid - they got offered hundred tickets instead. I know this as I was one of them - a huge percentage of the Oval crowd will have been people who had their tickets for the Blast returned. Despite this boost in numbers, they still only got 18,000. That's not impressive). So what has this all been for? If you don't think this hurts county cricket, you don't understand what is going on, tbh.

Last edited:
Even Boycott has taken The Hundred in the right spirit: “‘It cannot be a bad thing if people enjoy watching cricket, whatever the format. Every type of sport is played or watched for fun. I have watched a few Hundred matches and I don’t dislike it.”

It should be a wake up call if you find yourself a bigger reactionary than Boycott.

The Hundred is already attracting more young and female viewers much to the chagrin of it’s detractors…

”Increased numbers of women and under-25s tuned into to watch the opening matches of The Hundred.

According to Nielsen Sports, the opening women’s match saw 36% of its audience made of female viewers, while the opening men’s match had 39% women and 12% under 25-year-olds making up an average audience of 1.215 million - which peaked at two million on the BBC.

This is a sharp increase on the average number that watch the average men’s T20 on Sky Sports, which usually draws 27% women and 13% under-25s of a total audience of 180,000. This would mean around 23,000 under-25s usually watch a T20, compared to roughly 145,000 for The Hundred’s first men’s match, and around 48,000 women for T20 compared to over 473,000 for The Hundred.“

The Hundred is already attracting more young and female viewers much to the chagrin of it’s detractors…

”Increased numbers of women and under-25s tuned into to watch the opening matches of The Hundred.

According to Nielsen Sports, the opening women’s match saw 36% of its audience made of female viewers, while the opening men’s match had 39% women and 12% under 25-year-olds making up an average audience of 1.215 million - which peaked at two million on the BBC.

This is a sharp increase on the average number that watch the average men’s T20 on Sky Sports, which usually draws 27% women and 13% under-25s of a total audience of 180,000. This would mean around 23,000 under-25s usually watch a T20, compared to roughly 145,000 for The Hundred’s first men’s match, and around 48,000 women for T20 compared to over 473,000 for The Hundred.“
The Hundred isn't going to shag you mate.

And has there been a more ludcrious name for a sports team of any sort than the 'Invincibles'? (currently won 1, lost 3)

Just got back from the match, overall its a notable step in the right direction.

1. Groups of young women attending...with 20 somethings lasses behind me with better cricket knowledge than 40 to 50 year old wannabe wide boys that rocked up later.

2. Packed out Oval, like an Ashes test but without the constipation.

3. Embarrassing MCing, trying hard to engage with the youth...CBeebies style presenter schtick. Inauthentic, forced and just shit.

3. Stop serving alcohol far too early.

4. Dumbed down the scoreboard and made it incomprehensible.

5. Good fun and less pretentious than proper cricket.

The number of balls each batsman in England's top 7 have faced since the end of the second test vs NZ is

Burns: 189 Sibley: 271 Crawley: 6 Root: 0 Bairstow: 0 Lawrence: 0 Buttler: 0

The Hundred isn't a success in itself (or at least any more than if they had invested in the T20 and franchised it). The England player match ups have already finished. It's a squib. No sense of individual achievemet if no 5 fors or 100s which you get in T20

Its' impact on the first class game is questionable

It's perhaps reached peak toe curl now. Darren Sammy is playing One Direction on the decks between wickets with Rob Key cheering him on.

Back
Top Bottom