Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

The Hundred: cricket’s saviour or a load of marketing crap?

Your response doesn’t give me any reason for why I should watch cricket. Sell it to me. Get me to try watching a game.
Why? If you don't get it now you probably never will and this format won't teach you much about it. The main attraction for those who aren't into the sport is the opportunity to spend an afternoon in the sunshine, often in nice surroundings, getting pissed and shouting.

Why did she throw it in the air then catch it again? How typical is this? (don’t tell anyone I said this, but if it is like that I might watch some)

She can't carry the ball over the line (or ground her foot on the other side of the rope with the ball in her hands) after catching it. That would be a six to the batting side. Instead she catches it, preventing it crossing the boundary, throws it into the air on the field side, steps over the line, then jumps back into the field of play to complete the catch. It's not typical and requires a lot of skill but does happen occasionally.

That Deol catch in your vid is probably the finest example of it being done that you'll ever see.

Last edited:
This is not for old farts like me. The graphics, format and narrative is all about the youth (and under 18s at that).

I do wonder why they didn't do what they do in the Big Bash down in Australia, where they have the women's match as a curtain raiser effectively for the men's game, on the same day. It worked really well down there, big crowds for both matches. And much more money for the women's game as a result. Obviously the goal is to have the women's game on its own night, but I don't think we're quite there yet.

After tomorrows mens game, that is how it will be from then on.

Its a bit more complicated than the brum brum goes fast

As someone who enjoys both sports, that's quite patronising. Although dessiato I can never quite understand why someone would come on a cricket thread to tell everyone how much they hated cricket. Big deal. It's not for you. Do something else with your life.

Ok. I'm genuinely surprised, and not in a bad way, that the ECB didn't open its showcase event on primetime terrestrial TV with Ben Stokes' muscles bulging and thrashing sixes while a full house throws beer over each other singing jerusalem. Seems a very odd decision (from a commercial perspective)

Why did she throw it in the air then catch it again? How typical is this? (don’t tell anyone I said this, but if it is like that I might watch some)

It's not caught if she's over the rope when she catches it, it counts as six runs instead. But there's a loophole. If she's over the rope but no part of her is touching the ground, she can handle the ball and it still remains in play. She then has to get on the inside of the rope and catch the ball again, if she does so the player who hit the shot is out.

These kinds of catches are always impressive to me because of the combination of quick thinking and physical co-ordination required.

E2a: here's Stephen Fry with more...

Not sure what outrages me more: my license fee supporting this crap, or the money spent on F1. Or Laura Keunessberg.

I'm seriously considering a bimble up to Trent Bridge for a session of this. It was originally going to be just down the road at the Derby ground but Covid axed that. Yes it's far from traditional. It's not red balls, whites, oversized jumpers and afternoon teas but honestly how many kids would sit still long enough to enjoy a full day or even a Sunday afternoon at a local ground. If it gets a younger crowd in the door who will then progress to the original format, it can only be a good thing. Knocks to tradition will always be berated but it's what keeps the original game alive for the forthcoming generations.

This is not for old farts like me. The graphics, format and narrative is all about the youth (and under 18s at that).

As someone who enjoys both sports, that's quite patronising. Although dessiato I can never quite understand why someone would come on a cricket thread to tell everyone how much they hated cricket. Big deal. It's not for you. Do something else with your life.
The thread title made me curious, it wasn’t until i read the op that I realised that’s what it was. The op also was asking for opinion about it. I gave that. I read a few more posts, responding to them. Some made facetious comments about my liking motor sports, I asked for reasons to try cricket. I got none until quite late after the op.

Thats why I was here. Since my reading this thread seems to offend people I shall put it on ignore.

The thread title made me curious, it wasn’t until i read the op that I realised that’s what it was. The op also was asking for opinion about it. I gave that. I read a few more posts, responding to them. Some made facetious comments about my liking motor sports, I asked for reasons to try cricket. I got none until quite late after the op.

Thats why I was here. Since my reading this thread seems to offend people I shall put it on ignore.

Not offended, just never see why people do it. I like NFL for instance, but whenever we have a thread on here about it, someone always pipes up with something about all the stoppages and how you wouldn't find rugby players wearing pads. I just don't see why people feel the need. But you can comment on something if you want. Don't let me stop you.

If you actually want to know what it is about cricket that people love so much, there is a C4 documentary about the 2005 ashes that I believe is on Youtube. That tells you everything you need to know about why it (or at least, the test version of the game) is the greatest sport on this planet.

No offence taken and the ribbing was good natured.

Not offended, just never see why people do it. I like NFL for instance, but whenever we have a thread on here about it, someone always pipes up with something about all the stoppages and how you wouldn't find rugby players wearing pads. I just don't see why people feel the need. But you can comment on something if you want. Don't let me stop you.

If you actually want to know what it is about cricket that people love so much, there is a C4 documentary about the 2005 ashes that I believe is on Youtube. That tells you everything you need to know about why it (or at least, the test version of the game) is the greatest sport on this planet.

This was also quite amazing. I watched the first couple of episodes with my cricket-agnostic other half and then found out she'd watched the rest of it without me!

dessiato, cricket is life. simple as that. easily the best sport on the planet.

Last edited:
If you want to see the impact serious sport has on the participants, The Edge is available on BBC iPlayer for a few more days. Marvellous docu-film, awesome soundtrack, different perspective of cricket but might spark enough interest to watch cricket seriously.

OK. Explain it to me. Is it as complicated as tyre technology, aerodynamics, hybrid technology, computer technology and the million and one other things involved in F1? Or is it just some fat, dull, people standing around doing nothing for hours on end?

We recently upgraded the cabling in one of our datacentres. Now our server queries run in milli-seconds rather than seconds, with improved uptime and reliability, helping maintain our position at the top of our industry.

Do you see us with a section on BBC Sport? Do old white men wander round our datacenters in chinos and gilets with our companies branded caps and coffee mugs? :mad:

Those sponsoring/promoting the format must be pleased with that as an opening game. A good close(ish) end and run chase.
It looked shonky and the interruptions were very annoying, but to see all the girls and boys and mums and dads really enjoying the climax to the match...hard to knock that.

Being in Brixton, I wonder if I should be supporting the Oval Invincibles? It's my home team! But a bit disappointing they haven't been playing up the Lambeth/Brixton connection and trying to build local support. It's all a bit generic in its branding isn't it?

We recently upgraded the cabling in one of our datacentres. Now our server queries run in milli-seconds rather than seconds, with improved uptime and reliability, helping maintain our position at the top of our industry.

Do you see us with a section on BBC Sport? Do old white men wander round our datacenters in chinos and gilets with our companies branded caps and coffee mugs? :mad:

Is your dc open to the public? Because personally I love a good data centre but I can't just wander in for a gander whenever I want. If I could, and you offered a free mug, I'd be in there checking out your kit. I don't have a gilet or chinos though ☹️

View from the sceptic - Simon Heffer​

In the end only one thing matters: will The Hundred entice those uninterested in cricket to become interested? I doubt it. It seems a format designed to amuse the truly stupid, and I am far from convinced that the British public contains enough people of such a low mental age to make this a wild success.

The vast numbers of empty seats at the Oval last night was a reminder that only the tiniest percentage of the millions living within a 10-mile radius of Kennington could bring themselves to attend this version of cricket, despite a big advertising campaign.

One felt the main benefit for those attending was that they avoided a television commentary of stunning vacuity. The energetic enthusiasm of the commentators suggested a pre-match briefing about drumming up enthusiasm, hoping to convince us we were witnessing history in the making.

Of course, it may be different on Thursday night, when some players the general public might actually have heard of take the field. But that will not stop this format, stripped as it is of the culture, history, subtlety, intelligence and skill-set of real cricket, remaining the entirely forgettable exercise it was on Wednesday night, and nothing more than the marketing stunt the England and Wales Cricket Board have professed it to be.

Something supposedly designed to make cricket more ‘accessible’ – apparently synonymous with replicating an indeterminate and intensely vulgar American sporting occasion – has just bastardised the game, making it mainly about slogging by something called ‘batters’. The novelty of such things rapidly wears off.

Indeed far from expanding the reach of cricket it will, if it continues, cannibalise it. One cannot criticise players for embracing this rubbish, because they must earn a living - precarious in professional sport for all but the most gifted, and fortunate.

But the consequent erosion of their skills seems a problem unworthy of consideration by the ECB, even though some potentially superb first-class players (Jonny Bairstow is the obvious example) have ended up struggling in real cricket through having to prostitute themselves in T20 and now spectacles such as this.

I suspect were this absurdity being played between counties it might have a better chance of putting down roots, despite its fatuousness: there is no loyalty for the city teams with their puerile names, and never will be. The ECB might just as well have staged a rock concert with this stunt as a half-time entertainment. But then, perhaps, that is exactly what they have done.

On cue, this is from the Telegraph :D

I agree with all of that, but I also remember reading very similar articles after the first game in the IPL. And look what happened there. The franchises have fans as religious as fans of Premier League football clubs.

My own instinct though is that is fucking doomed and will be hopefully never be spoken of again after its first 'season'.

I agree with all of that, but I also remember reading very similar articles after the first game in the IPL. And look what happened there. The franchises have fans as religious as fans of Premier League football clubs.

My own instinct though is that is fucking doomed and will be hopefully never be spoken of again after its first 'season'.

Heffer likely still harbours bitterness at professionals being allowed in the game.

I must be getting old. But it was pretty fucking dire. And if it's attempting to simplify the game then it failed dismally at that. They've only made it even more complicated and incomprehensible for the casual viewer. Still, let's see how it goes when there's a full house and balls flying down to brixton market tomorrow.

Back
Top Bottom