Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

The Hundred: cricket’s saviour or a load of marketing crap?

RileyOBlimey

Cringe razzmatazz and/or saviour of cricket for those who didn’t go to public school?

It’s about to kick off…

Cricket, for me, is the most boring of spectator sports. I don't understand why anyone would waste time on it.

Why are there no female umpires in men's cricket but they often have male umpires in the women's game? I get that physically women can't really compete with men as players (physically) but umpiring is surely one area where we could have parity?

Why are there no female umpires in men's cricket but they often have male umpires in the women's game? I get that physically women can't really compete with men as players (physically) but umpiring is surely one area where we could have parity?

I think the “physical” argument is bollocks. Phil Tufnell and Mike Gatting were hardly elite athletes.

I'll give it a go probably but I can't see it being much cop. T20 is the silly easily accessible format so I don't think we need another.

I'm working at Old Trafford tomorrow though so might see if I can blag a ticket for tomorrows game.

I think the “physical” argument is bollocks. Phil Tufnell and Mike Gatting were hardly elite athletes.

Well, yes in some aspects you're right if you're living in the early 90s, but unfortunately a quick bowler in the womens game is bowling far far slower than even a fairly quick bowler in the mens game, the boundaries are brought in and the running between the wickets is also a lot slower. I say this as someone who really enjoys the women's game but I'm not getting into an argument about that. My question was why women aren't umpiring at the top level in the men's game.

I'll give it a go probably but I can't see it being much cop. T20 is the silly easily accessible format so I don't think we need another.

I'm working at Old Trafford tomorrow though so might see if I can blag a ticket for tomorrows game.

I’m not a fan of T20 (or even one dayers) however, I think the Hundred is a great idea. It’s city based and will ensure plenty of free to air coverage to get youngsters into it. This will encourage diversity and inclusivity in cricket and fuck me does it need it.

Well, yes in some aspects you're right if you're living in the early 90s, but unfortunately a quick bowler in the womens game is bowling far far slower than even a fairly quick bowler in the mens game, the boundaries are brought in and the running between the wickets is also a lot slower. I say this as someone who really enjoys the women's game but I'm not getting into an argument about that. My question was why women aren't umpiring at the top level in the men's game.

Women should be umpiring the mens game for sure. Especially as it’ll wind up the old farts.

Genuine fast bowling is only one role of many in cricket. Spin and medium pace bowling, batting, fielding and keeping should be no barrier if women were treated equally.

I do wonder why they didn't do what they do in the Big Bash down in Australia, where they have the women's match as a curtain raiser effectively for the men's game, on the same day. It worked really well down there, big crowds for both matches. And much more money for the women's game as a result. Obviously the goal is to have the women's game on its own night, but I don't think we're quite there yet.

Its a bit more complicated than the brum brum goes fast
OK. Explain it to me. Is it as complicated as tyre technology, aerodynamics, hybrid technology, computer technology and the million and one other things involved in F1? Or is it just some fat, dull, people standing around doing nothing for hours on end?

I do wonder why they didn't do what they do in the Big Bash down in Australia, where they have the women's match as a curtain raiser effectively for the men's game, on the same day. It worked really well down there, big crowds for both matches. And much more money for the women's game as a result. Obviously the goal is to have the women's game on its own night, but I don't think we're quite there yet.

They generally will. That’s a key point of the tournament. They’ve shot themselves in the foot by not having both games on the same day.

Note the lack of support from the members, the pavilion is empty.

OK. Explain it to me. Is it as complicated as tyre technology, aerodynamics, hybrid technology, computer technology and the million and one other things involved in F1? Or is it just some fat, dull, people standing around doing nothing for hours on end?

Tyre technology, now that is exciting ;-)

I'm glad it's not just me. I've been watching cricket for decades but I'm struggling to understand this. I thought the whole idea was to dumb cricket down for people too thick to understand what 31/2 off 4 overs meant.

1m ago18:55

30 balls: Originals 42-1 (Lee 17, Boyce 18) I think they need to sort this scorecard out - why are the runs on one side of the screen and the wickets on the other. Some of us are peri-menopausal and this sort of thing can make us ANGRY. Anyway, Boyce is batting beautifully, sending Ismail screaming through extra cover for four.

Back
Top Bottom