Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

The gardening thread

TopCat spuds and tomatoes got blight every year in my Brighton garden before the first blightwatch email had even gone out. I just grew resistant varieties and didn't even bother picking off affected leaves all the time, barely affected the actual tubers and fruits if at all.

Yeah they might be thirsty, how much are you giving them? I'd do one to two big watering cans once a week for new trees, maybe twice a week at the height of summer if the ground was really drying right out in between. A proper soak and letting it dry out a bit in between is better than little and often.
Thanks iona, I'll start doing that.

I had several pea seedlings eaten when I put them out :mad: so I decided I'm not putting them out any more. I'm quite pleased that the seeds that have come up are doing as well as the plug plants I ordered as reserve and came recently.

My fig tree ("Little Miss Figgy") is not very happy. She is looking a bit droopy. I think it must be underwatering due to the dry weather and constant winds and have given her a bigger saucer and a good drink, but I'm wondering whether to repot her now in case it helps, or whether it would stress her out further. Normally I would repot in autumn or at least early spring. I bought her in the pot in autumn and didn't pot her on then.

My fig tree ("Little Miss Figgy") is not very happy. She is looking a bit droopy. I think it must be underwatering due to the dry weather and constant winds and have given her a bigger saucer and a good drink, but I'm wondering whether to repot her now in case it helps, or whether it would stress her out further. Normally I would repot in autumn or at least early spring. I bought her in the pot in autumn and didn't pot her on then.
If you're not causing too much root disturbance and just moving her into a bigger pot I'd probably do it now. Can you tell how pot bound she is now without digging her up?

Ages ago I found a discarded roasting tin outside someone's house. The depth makes it perfect as a leek seed bed. These have been indoors for 10 days; now they are going out on the patio. Leeks like room temperature to germinate, but once sprouted they are very tolerant of cold.

I will leave them to grow on the patio til July or so, when they will follow my second early Charlottes in the ground.

View attachment 367260
2.5 months later, these are of pencil thickness and ready to go in...20230604_090507.jpg

Is little miss figgy your name for the plant or did it come with that name? :D

My fig looks amazing this year, loads of fairly big fruit but I'm not sure if they're ones that started this year or late last summer. I'm not sure I understand figs. The fruit seem to have a habit of looking great then just falling off. Probably due to abuse (not enough water).

Will have a read of that forum!

Is little miss figgy your name for the plant or did it come with that name? :D

My fig looks amazing this year, loads of fairly big fruit but I'm not sure if they're ones that started this year or late last summer. I'm not sure I understand figs. The fruit seem to have a habit of looking great then just falling off. Probably due to abuse (not enough water).

Will have a read of that forum!
It's the name of the variety! It's a dwarf one that won't grow into a massive tree.

I harvested, grass. Since I added the bed and cover but then did nothing. Now transplanted into a 4x8ft bare earth area. I can dig the bed and add nutriants while we get grass and flowers not hard soil. 6 wheelbarrow loads later here we are with grass and clover seed dumped on the covered section.

Attachments

• 20230605_175700.jpg
    20230605_175700.jpg
    259.7 KB · Views: 5
  • 20230605_175623.jpg
    20230605_175623.jpg
    284.4 KB · Views: 4
  • 20230605_175431.jpg
    20230605_175431.jpg
    311 KB · Views: 4
  • 20230605_172310.jpg
    20230605_172310.jpg